Garrett 2 year warranty & then what?

thaigler

Jul 27, 2016
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesero Bandidio, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
With my other posts here trying to decide between the ACE 400 and the Pro I decided to go with the AT Pro ...seems to be everybody pick. I know it comes with a 2 year warranty. But after 2 years as anyone sent their AT back to Garrett for non-warranty work ?

If so what are the prices like on repair? Is like a car out of warranty cost or is it close to a break even or what?

I know Tereso has a lifetime (nothing is free) and I know you pay for that lifetime. The 2 year does not bother me because I am the type that will not be using this machine that much....But I don't want to send a detector back and have a $300 bill on a out of date detector 10 years from now .....and that I could spend $500 or $600 on a new one with new technology .

How long does a average Garrett last? and what has been your exerpeinces on non warranty work.

Hope this question does not upset anyone, but one I need to ask.

Thanks

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
...ahhh yes, if we could all see into the future.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well pilgram i have an ace 100 and a gta x 550 and Garrett fixed my 550 for free years ago. The 100 has never broken but the new stuff i dont know. :dontknow:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never had to send in a Fisher so can't help you there. Garrett, the two AT Pro's i had I had to send back an the a friend bought me a ATP which now works as it should. Excel went back years ago for a bad coil. Non of the Tesoro's ever had to be sent back. Maybe that's why they can offer a lifetime warranty.:occasion14:
Sandman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro has a different philosophy than the other manufacturers. They offer a full lifetime warranty to the original owner (at no extra cost) because they expect you will own their quality, cutting edge VLF for the rest of your life. Other manufacturers want you to buy the new model every two-three years like car dealers. :skullflag:

OP
OP
T

thaigler

Jul 27, 2016
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've never had to send in a Fisher so can't help you there. Garrett, the two AT Pro's i had I had to send back an the a friend bought me a ATP which now works as it should. Excel went back years ago for a bad coil. Non of the Tesoro's ever had to be sent back. Maybe that's why they can offer a lifetime warranty.:occasion14:
Sandman

Terry that is what Tesoro told me today. I was on the phone with them for 40 mins ( lol I told them I had to go) They had my Bandido in because I had not used it in 15 years and wanted it check out..... For Free they went completely through it and did a $65 upgrade to it which I did not ask for.

He said that a lot of companies make there money on service work and not on their machines. He told me he would not sell my 22 years old machine because it was perfect and now the machine will be close to their Bandido II not the Orginal Bandido I had....He was so nice (Rusty) I had to get off the phone due to a doctor appointment. I really enjoy talking with him. He gave me his personal cell phone and told me to call him anytime.. He got the machine in Monday and sent it this morning.

Said he did about $150 of work no charge to me and would never be a charged in my lifetime no matter what. I paid $330 for the machine 22 years ago

I have to say that is Customer Service :thumbsup:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rusty Henry is a friend of mine. H used his first metal detector in 1968, as a Navy "Frogman," on Underwater Demolition Team 22. That machine was built by Telex in New York, and cost the Navy $3,800.00! He got his first “civilian” detector, a Garrett Master Hunter BFO, in 1969. From 1969 through 1974, Rusty was a Navy Seal. A Seal Team 2 "Plank" member. He averaged three-hours a day, 250-days a year detecting! By 1974, Rusty had found over 500-rings, countless Civil War relics and over 50,000 coins!

After leaving the Navy in 1978, Rusty became Vice President of Bounty Hunter Inc, in Tempe, AZ. He hadn’t been there long, when the first report of a gold nugget found with a metal detector in Australia came in. The nugget was found at Cue, in Western Australia. That first report was followed in weeks by even more spectacular finds there, and in Victoria. Rusty folded his tent, and he and his family immigrated to Australia! He spent the next 10-years swinging a metal detector 8-10 hours a day, 200-250 days a year! It is estimated that by 1995, Rusty had over 35,000-hours of experience using metal detectors and gold nugget shooting.

While at his home on Thumb Butte, overlooking Prescott, Rusty showed me a 3.6-oz Australian nugget he found that is almost pure. The color is so rich and yellow, as to be almost impossible! He told me about a 17-pound patch he found! SEVENTEEN-POUNDS! And that was just one of the stories he shared! I was simply in awe of the gold, relics, coins and jewelry Rusty has in his collection.

Rusty is a true American hero, and a legendary gold prospector. His knowledge, hospitality and life experiences just blow me away, yet he is the nicest, most down-to-earth and giving man you’ll ever meet.

Attachments

• Rusty.JPG
    Rusty.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 303

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My At Pro was 3 month's out of warranty and it broke. Sent it to Garrett's and they fixed it for free. When I needed a new cuff guard and coil seals they sent them for free. I've had 3 other Garrett detectors in my life most for 7 or 8 years. Never had to send them in so I don't know how they were warrantied.

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cost me $250 to have my detector repaired. It was 6 months out of warranty (2.5 years after date of manufacture) and leaked after 3 water trips.

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
T

thaigler

Jul 27, 2016
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Coil to the Soil
"Cost me $250 to have my detector repaired. It was 6 months out of warranty (2.5 years after date of manufacture) and leaked after 3 water trips *at pro"
Thank you for sharing

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well i called about my AT Pro last month i talked to 3 different ladies there gave them my serial number .. I asked when the warranty was up on my AT for it was acting up .. And they told me it was made in march of 2014 so my warranty was up . So i told them i did not buy it in march of 2014 i got it in Sept or Oct. of 2014 and they still insisted it was not under warranty . I told them the warranty was not from the date of manufacture but from the date i bought it ... So i sent it in and 6 days from when i sent it in i got it back and it was still doing the same thing so i think they just returned it to me and did nothing to it .. So i think Garret and i will be parting Company ... I called Minelab about the warranty on my Eureka Gold last year gave them my serial number and she did not say to me your detector was made on so & so date so your warranty is up. but she said i was in luck you still have 6 months left on your warranty.. And i sent it in and they fixed the problem ...I think Garrett is getting to big and can not handle it..

Last edited:

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kept, did you register your unit?
I think when you don't register your unit they go by date of manufacture.
I just sold a friend my ace350 because I don't use Garrett anymore and I called and they said to send all his info in and they'll update and transfer the warranty.
You can register online or by mail for your warranty and that's the start date for your warranty.

So if you never registered it, they have no date to go by other than date of manufacture

No issues with my tesoros.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Kept, did you register your unit?
I think when you don't register your unit they go by date of manufacture.
I just sold a friend my ace350 because I don't use Garrett anymore and I called and they said to send all his info in and they'll update and transfer the warranty.
You can register online or by mail for your warranty and that's the start date for your warranty.

So if you never registered it, they have no date to go by other than date of manufacture

No issues with my tesoros.
OF course i registered it i have always done that and on this one i called it in they took my info. and then i sent my card in .I always do it my self to make sure it is done right Even if they do it over the phone i always send my card in to make sure . It is not my fault they lost every thing or did not take care of it right...

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OF course i registered it i have always done that and on this one i called it in they took my info. and then i sent my card in .I always do it my self to make sure it is done right Even if they do it over the phone i always send my card in to make sure . It is not my fault they lost every thing or did not take care of it right...

Then I don't know.
When I sold my ace and transferred the warranty I asked and they sent a confirmation email. My warranty started the month I bought it.

ansehnlich1

Dec 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just sent my AT Pro control box, headphones, large and small coil, to Garrett. She's acting up and they requested I send the items listed. I paid shipping. I also have been told I'll be given and estimate of the cost to repair. We'll see what transpires.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Everyone,

I had to send my Garrett AT Gold 5" x 8" coil back to the factory. I bought the machine and registered 8/11/2014. Yesterday, 8/16/2016 (out of warranty [by five days], while working a clients 1814 historical property the detector would not detect more than 3" (I check each machine before use) and the VID was at least 20 points lower than to be expected. I knew something was wrong since the day before I flagged the property for signals and recorded GPS, distance, photograph, compass...etc on each target. When I checked a few the next day none of the targets could be "seen". When I got home, I changed coils and all is well, so I know the control box is fine.

I used my Tesoro Tejon to complete the yard scan. :icon_thumleft: I always carry at least two machines with me.

When I called Garrett the service Rep. told me to send it in for testing and if it fails they would sell me a new or used coil at a reduced price. I hope since it was 5 days out-of-warranty they will cut me a great deal.

GL & HH

Doc

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
I Sold my AT Pro after the control housing broke off or more like fell off while turning it on one day. In my opinion to shallow of screws and weak plastic and I told Garret this. I babied this detector and it looked like new never dropped it or abused it in any way. It was just out of warranty by about 6 months. I was quoted a few hundred to fix it by Garrett. I sent it in and they repaired it very quickly decent turn around. I have to say to there credit they sent it back to me with no charge for the repair because the detector showed no signs of abuse in any way.

I Just did not trust it after that even though it was a good little detector.

Also hey what's up Terry its been a while since we talked on the phone, don't know if you remember me or not we talked some Tesoro Sand Shark stuff.

And yes, Thumbs up to Tesoro's lifetime warranty and to Mr Rusty Henery. I just picked up a new Black Tesoro Tejon with the RSD coil with the lifetime warranty.

Happy Hunting All,
Bill G

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread