I think my AT pro leaked today

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So today my friend and I are shallow water diving a swim area at a local lake.

Instead of my normal water machine, a CZ 20, I thought I would try the AT Pro just to see how it compares.

We never went over 6-7 feet in depth.

About 45 minutes into the hunt my ATpro starts falsing with even the slightest bump of the coil.

When I got around to examining it a few hours later the coil/headphone connections and battery compartment looked dry.

The connections were tight.

I tired different coils and it still falsed at every touch of the coil.

To get it to stop falsing I had to turn down the sensitivity to 2.

It's going to get sent in for repair but i thought I would ask here if that's a common symptom of water seepage?

Thanks

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
I'd had my ATPro a little over a year, and the first water hunting I did was at a fresh water lake. I only went about waist deep, and the head

was never submerged, but as soon as I got back on dry land it was falseing constantly. I sent it in under warranty, and now I have it back,

but I'm hesitant about going into water again, as now the two year warranty is gone.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet it leaked around the faceplate.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The cable must be tied pretty good in multiple spots else it will false ... Wave action and/or impacts with the bottom will make it false - And finally, certain locations it will false like crazy for a variety of reasons, just like any other detector.
I have been out from my ankles up to my neck plenty of times for hours and haven't had any problems. I have heard of people having deteriorated gaskets with the connector, may not hurt to check the state of yours.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett Has a Good Rep Replaced My Pinpointer even though is was out of Warranty HH Chug

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not going in the water soon Until I get Some Grease for the Seals Chug

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet it leaked around the faceplate.

That is the only thing I can think of too. I'm sure Garrett will take care of it whatever the problem is.

To be honest, thru the years, every Garrett water machine I ever owned, an AT3 and AT4, and now a AT Pro, has leaked on me. The AT 3 and 4 were terrible leakers. Even with new gaskets and silicone they still took on water.

When I get it back from repair, I will treat it like a wader/ land machine, which it will do a great job at and only use as a emergency back up water machine. My CZ 20 will be my go to underwater machine. I cant take chances, especially when on some trips we drive 3-5 hours and have it crap out on me again.

I will say It was kinda fun having the depth/ID meter under the water during the short time it was functioning correctly.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hate to hear these posts about the "underwater machine" leaking when it goes underwater. Fingers crossed I am still getting mine wet with no ill effects.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I lightly grease the battery compart gasket b4 each water hunt. Had mine 4 yrs now with many water hunts,.. No problem yet. Knock on wood.

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update

Excellent turn around time.

No charges...all it cost me was shipping to Garrett.

Not sure how to read this packing list, but it looks like they repaired the board and sent a new coil.

The new coil is a surprise as I only used the stock coil a couple times and replaced it with a NELS Sharpshooter :icon_scratch:

Here is a copy of the only paperwork they sent.

IMG_6505.JPG

Great customer service...I hope it stats fixed.

Robotics

Feb 20, 2016
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hate to hear these posts about the "underwater machine" leaking when it goes underwater. Fingers crossed I am still getting mine wet with no ill effects.

I can relate to that. I bought my AT Pro a few months back for the sole purpose to hunt in a nearby lake in my area. And I have yet to go into the lake because of post like this, and unfortunately there are many here and on other sites.
What I don't understand is why they leak (when they do leak). Its been going on for quite some time, and you would think the company that makes them would have addressed the issue.

I want so bad to go into the lake near my place. I don't think anyone has detected it. I may get up the nerve, and even though I have a spare detector (Whites DFX), I don't want to have to go through returning something for something that shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Its a hard decision to make for me. :(

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I took my Repaired ATPro out wading this week and I am happy to report all went well. No leaks or falsing.

I still don't think I will shallow water dive with it. For the time being it will remain my wader.

I will say that the waterproof headphones leave much to be desired. Their sound range seems to be not near as wide as the stock headphones and took a little bit to get used to.

That said, they were good enough for me to find my oldest silver to date, a nice seated dime.

Seated dime.jpg

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i can't understand why you guys don't get a real waterproof detector like the Tiger Shark which is waterproof to 200 feet.

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i can't understand why you guys don't get a real waterproof detector like the Tiger Shark which is waterproof to 200 feet.

I do. The majority of time I use me CZ 20 for diving. That said, if a detector is sold as being waterproof to 10', it should be waterproof to 10'.

10' should be plenty deep for finding the majority of lost items, at least in the lakes I hunt.

A more accurate description for my AT Pro might be a splash proof wader.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry you have had problems but I have had mine submerged for many hours without a problem ,, Did they tell you where the water was entering ? It could only be the connectors, faceplate or battery, might help you to know what they diagnosed.
Most hybrid machines do seem to have a fair share of problems, I have heard of them from the $$ Minelab hybrid and the new Whites Sport, which I just got but have not dunked it yet. For that matter, dedicated water machines are certainly not infallible.

Could likely use the land headphones if you don't like the water ones and don't plan on going beyond 3 ft.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do. The majority of time I use me CZ 20 for diving. That said, if a detector is sold as being waterproof to 10', it should be waterproof to 10'.

10' should be plenty deep for finding the majority of lost items, at least in the lakes I hunt.

A more accurate description for my AT Pro might be a splash proof wader.

My CZ-20 is my go to detector for most of my hunts. It's built like a tank and I've taken it down 140 foot deep many times. Auto Tune is all metal and very deep. My favorite mode six is disc one and I only dig the mid tones which are more likely to be Pulltabs, nickels or gold rings. But I also like my Excel and Tiger shark.

hick.man

Greenie
Apr 4, 2016
eastern washington
Detector(s) used
At pro, AT gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an at gold and was using it in the creeks for the first time and only had the coil under water and it started going crazy falsing and when i tried to ground balance it would go crazy, so i took the bigger coil off of my at pro and no problems. my warranty is up though so I hope they cover it.I must admit im kinda disappointed as ive always been a diehard garret user. my scorpion stinger would false if you bumped the coil so i bit the bullet and got a an at gold and then an at pro. guess we will see what happens.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions