OP
OP
jadeblackhawk

jadeblackhawk

May 27, 2006
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
I put silicone grease on them when I installed to o-ring, i just tried putting on more, and they still won't fit. This is as far as they'll go, and the screw thing won't screw all the way on. It's hard going just to get it to screw on a little bit. 20160818_124859.jpg

OP
OP
jadeblackhawk

jadeblackhawk

May 27, 2006
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
can someone with these tell me if theirs sit like this? Screwed on "all the way" the ring sits about 1/8 of an inch from the end, where the garrett stock headphones screw on until they are flush. I'm afraid to go into the water with them on so shallowly, I don't want any leaks!

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never had any problems with mine. Had them for about 2 years. Any bent pins or something like that?

OP
OP
jadeblackhawk

jadeblackhawk

May 27, 2006
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Ok, so it looks like where the o-ring is seated on the connector is larger than the one on the stock headphones. I think if I can find a thinner o-ring it will fit without compromising the water tight seal. I tried putting on the o-ring from the stock headphones, but it is actually larger than the o-ring that comes with the gray ghosts. I'm hoping my husband has one at work, if not I might be scouring the hardware stores tomorrow! Only a few days left of warm weather here, fall is coming fast and as I no longer have a wetsuit, once it starts cooling down it's time to stay on dry land ;) One of these days I'll get a dry suit and the I'll be in the water until it ices over lol

OP
OP
jadeblackhawk

jadeblackhawk

May 27, 2006
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Thanks for all the help guys :D Several people pm'd me about this. I was already on the edge spending that much money on headphones, hopefully I can get this sorted out now. Head over to the Fisher forum and see why I need to use my AT Pro in the water now :sadsmiley:

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might have better luck at an automotive store than a hardware store for the o-ring. Good luck.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They will fit you just have to get the thread started then wiggle and push connector , tighten and repeat until it's seated all the way up.

cruiserkev

Jan 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I had this same issue with my GG phones. Wouldn't go in all the way even with the lube. So I set the end in the sun for a while as the GG o ring seemed to be made out of a harder type of rubber than the stock ones. After it warmed up it slid in tightly and has worked great the last 6 months. HH! :thumbsup:

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Put the silicone grease in the threads it will help seal and lubricate it. Once you get the nut on as far as it will go grab the plug firmly and rock it back and forth this should let it go on more. Do this until you feel it's seated enough. The first time it takes a few tries after that should work better

OP
OP
jadeblackhawk

jadeblackhawk

May 27, 2006
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
"They will fit you just have to get the thread started then wiggle and push connector , tighten and repeat until it's seated all the way up."
We tried that. I was afraid we'd break it, so we stopped

OP
OP
jadeblackhawk

jadeblackhawk

May 27, 2006
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
I had this same issue with my GG phones. Wouldn't go in all the way even with the lube. So I set the end in the sun for a while as the GG o ring seemed to be made out of a harder type of rubber than the stock ones. After it warmed up it slid in tightly and has worked great the last 6 months. HH! :thumbsup:
I will try that, thanks!

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They are great headphone for water and land use. I own and use a pair almost daily "HOWEVER" they are not made as good as they used to be. The pair I picked up looked like a refurbished pair in a sealed new box. mine didn't even come with an o-ring I had to have a new one shipped and I used the 0-ring from the stock garrett headphones in the mean time. I don't want to ake you mad at your purchase as I found this site right after I bought mine and was like damn I messed up. Gray Ghost Amphibian for Garrett AT Pro/Gold and Infinium
Mine also really doesn't fit as good as it should in the connector and seems to have a sight twist in the black piece that slides up inside. I use needle nose pliers to snug mine up and a lot of Dielectric silcone compound to make sure no water can penetrate the connection

OP
OP
jadeblackhawk

jadeblackhawk

May 27, 2006
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
It just says they are no longer selling them? it was these or the blue garrett ones, and I really need a volume switch. Mine looked and smelled brand new, came with a warranty sheet, o ring in a little bag. I'm not happy about having to pay that much more just for a volume switch, but it is what it is. I mostly snorkel and wade, it's not like I'm at a constant pressure like when you scuba.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Grey ghosts are nice headphones for sure like I said I use 100% of time on dry or wet. I put that link to make you aware of the issues they have with this model headphones.

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excal2, CTX, Nox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put silicone grease on them when I installed to o-ring, i just tried putting on more, and they still won't fit. This is as far as they'll go, and the screw thing won't screw all the way on. It's hard going just to get it to screw on a little bit. View attachment 1348866

With your picture it looks like the plug is in. Looks like your having a hard time with the thumble, or screwy thingy. Lol. Have it on the wifes atp and it was a nice fit, tight and snug.

OP
OP
jadeblackhawk

jadeblackhawk

May 27, 2006
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
I got the thing screwed on finally, I hope it's on all the way. I used a hair dryer to warm up the o-ring, it did help getting it to sit farther in as I tightened the collar. Took it out a couple of times and I don't think it's leaked. They do sound different than I'm used to, but they are nice and snug. So nice to not have to worry about getting splashed with a wave or anything. Thanks for all the help everyone!

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Never had any problems with mine. Had them for about 2 years. Any bent pins or something like that?

I've had mine for a couple of years, too. Never a problem like yours although I need to wiggle both connectors (headphones and coil) a little as I tighten the connection down in order to get them fully screwed in.
HH
dts

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Infinium is similar. After you tighten for the first time check after a while and you will see it goes on a bit more. Its just a good tight seal. Have had zero issues with the connector. They are well worth the money wait to you see how well they block out external sounds/

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread