Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
We have been experiencing a very significant lack rain here in CT and the ground is VERY dry. In your opinion, does the lack of moisture in the soil have an effect on the efficiency of MDs? My assumption is that wetter soil would yield better results. Thoughts? :icon_scratch:
HH
dts

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your assumption is correct.
The wet ground helps increase the conductivity of the metal underground....you can get an inch or two deeper in these conditions.
Also, easier to cut plug....bone dry turf, makes hunting a drag.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dry ground/hard digging is a good way to tear up a nice coin or relic also. Have to be careful in that hard, dry ground. Even the high end Pulse Induction machines will loose depth in very dry ground. I have, on several occasions, went out to one of my "hunted out" spots when the ground is rather damp and found nice, deep targets that I had previously missed.

OP
OP
dts52

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, guys. I was beginning to wonder... AT Pro still seems to pick up dimes but all in all I expected better results the last few weeks. Ironically, lightning chased me off my fairgrounds permission both days this weekend but only enough rain to wet the grass. Your answers explain why early Spring hunts seem to turn up so many more targets. Guess I should be hunting some nearly dry streambeds.
HH
dts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions