weldor

Greenie
Jan 13, 2014
Missouri
Detector(s) used
1265-X, 1235-X, Garrett Groundhog Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am returning to detecting after quite a few years absence, been using a Tosero Compadre to see if I was going to start again. Now thinking about an AT Pro for the target id numbers and a little better disc. The main thing I would like to know is.

With the Compadre a large piece of Iron will not dis. out, such as a gear off a piece of farm machinery about ten inches deep and still sounds like a good target. With the AT will I be able to set it up so this will get the iron tone so I don't have to dig it?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No...Since all detectors report on conductivity of item, not what it really is. So that big piece of iron could show upon screen as silver dollar.:laughing7: So you'll spent more $$$ to be lied too with the ATP.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am returning to detecting after quite a few years absence, been using a Tosero Compadre to see if I was going to start again. Now thinking about an AT Pro for the target id numbers and a little better disc. The main thing I would like to know is.

With the Compadre a large piece of Iron will not dis. out, such as a gear off a piece of farm machinery about ten inches deep and still sounds like a good target. With the AT will I be able to set it up so this will get the iron tone so I don't have to dig it?

Probably not. When you hit shallow big iron (12" deep or less), you can hear it in the tone (ragged edge, fuzzy finish). This takes practice and hits on the headphones to learn.

If you are going to upgrade from the Compadre, the AT Pro is a good choice, as is the Tesoro Vaquero, and Minelab 305 or 505.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman is right in the fact that the AT pro will give a hightone and a high ID # for a large piece of iron.....but the cool thing about the AT pro is its iron audio. Once you learn its language you will notice the hightone has "rough" edges and will blare in your headphones. Whereas a silver dollar will be soft and smooth. I have dug many old deep ax heads with the pro but knew the were iron before I ever started digging. The AT PRO gives a lot of info just in its audio. It is a great machine and hard to beat at its price!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
NO! A solid good signal get's a dig, period. Even if it is single versus multi-frequency. I run a CTX with 28 frequencies to give me more information. But if that danged thing under my coil gives me a solid and repeatable signal, that means soil excavation time!

OP
OP
W

weldor

Greenie
Jan 13, 2014
Missouri
Detector(s) used
1265-X, 1235-X, Garrett Groundhog Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to everyone for the advice. Now who will convince my wife I need it.:laughing7:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to everyone for the advice. Now who will convince my wife I need it.:laughing7:

Mine has a few gold rings she has swiped from my finds box, so she no longer needs convincing. :skullflag:

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In just about any good machine if you want to hit the deep really deep stuff in hunted out parks or areas you will dig the deep iffy signals. The hotter you run the machine the deeper it will go. I love my At Pro and V3i but hunt with guys running Minelabs 705 and CTX's. We compare signals and targets and finds. Sometimes one machine will pick it up better than the other due to settings. But it's never one machine that will have an advantage over another. Practice and determination will go along way in detecting the good stuff. One thing I'd like to say about the At Pro is it got me back to detecting because it will get you good stuff where others have gone. Remember no park is ever truly hunted out

CaballoDeOro

Jun 29, 2012
Southwest MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is where your skill with the detector (developed through practice) comes in. It's pretty straightforward to estimate the size and shape of big iron using either of the DD coils available for the AT Pro. If it's a high tone but your coil shows that it's 14 inches across, you've either got a chest of silver coins or a rusty old Chevy bell housing (guess which is most likely!).

Once you get to know the AT, you'll be also able to tell big hunks of iron from silver from the quality of the sound (something many other similarly priced detectors can't do). Iron will sound scratchier while unmasked silver is a pure, sweet tone with smooth edges.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

Buy it and tell her your girlfriend gave it to you.

muddyrock

Jun 19, 2016
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy it and tell her your girlfriend gave it to you.

HAHAHAHA that was a good one. However I would be at the hospital trying to have the pole removed from my head lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread