Should I buy a used Ace 250?

DockDiver

Sep 14, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone!
I'm getting back into detecting and I found a Garrett Ace 250 at my local pawn shop for $160. One of the sales people offered to let it go for $145. I See it retails for around $200.
This will be my only detector since I'm getting back into everything. Is it reliable? Will I be able to locate gold and silver jewelry? What is the depth limit?
Is there a big difference between this and the ATPro?
I would love for someone to chime in that has experience with one.

Sep 14, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, fisher F75, Fisher F19, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Equinox 800, Excalibur 2, CTX 3030, Fisher CZ3D, Minelab GB Xtreme PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I couldnt get myself to like those overhyped machines. I hated the clown music and the tiny hard to read display. I found the depth limited. They are ok beginner machines.

I know many people like Target ID but for a similar price I recommend a Tesoro Compadre its simple lightweight easy to use and fun. Just beep and dig. Another in that price range Teknetics Delta 4000 it does have target ID and some nice features for the price.

Also there is a HUGE difference between the Ace series and the AT series, although they still have the circus music. but waterproof, better depth and target ID and many other features the Ace lacks

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
250 is a coin and jewelry magnet, used it almost exclusively for 5 years and it had paid for itself countless times.
Can be surprisingly accurate with ID and depth at times, other times not ,,,, And much the same could be said about any machine. ID is only an electronic best guess, more expensive machines may be better at ID but no machine is 100% accurate or even close to that.
Pinpoints great and though it only has 3 generic tones, like any other machine the more you use it in the field, the more you learn what its telling you. Not a whole lot of depth, as you'd expect. Maybe 6" max for a quarter, but I have found plenty of silver with it, and not everyone like to dig a 12" trench to find a coin.
Have an AT Pro as well, I use it exclusively in the water, I would say it is safe to say it outshines the 250 in every aspect, but cost more than 2x. I'd say go for it, probably the best bargain out there, and when and if you upgrade can always keep it as a backup, or a machine that stays in the vehicle all the time like me, so you can detect on a whim while driving around.

Wouldn't want to keep a $1K+ detector in a vehicle full time, thats for sure.

jjack9977

May 1, 2015
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex, Nokta Makro PulseDive, Whites Bullseye TRX, Teknetics Tek-Point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd spend $30-$50 more and get a used Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro. For the money you will get a detector packed with features and fine tuning when you're ready for it, and turn on and go modes to start with. There is not a better cost to performance ratio in metal detecting. I had one prior to upgrading to the F-75 and it hunted like a $600+ machine with great depth. 10" on a quarter. Some report more in good soil. In any event, it blows the Ace series out if the water IMO and if it weren't for water proofing the AT Pro doesn't have anything on it either.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BH Pro may be a superior starting machine, could never get past the use of 9v batteries for their machines

Sep 14, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, fisher F75, Fisher F19, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Equinox 800, Excalibur 2, CTX 3030, Fisher CZ3D, Minelab GB Xtreme PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree Fisher has rejuvenated the Bounty Hunter brand, they are no longer that ugly stepchild of metal detecting. Great new machines with some high dollar features. The Land Ranger Pro is a great machine but a bit pricier than what you are looking for. Might also check out the Fisher F11, 22, and 44's they are great little machines too with large easy to read and accurate Target ID. only runs on one 9v battery and you can grab a 4 pack of those for $5 at harbor freight

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can get the 350 for around $180 on E-Bay. What ever you get use it to decide if you like detecting and then use it to find the money for your upgrade to a better machine if you like the hobby. This hobby probably won't make you rich but will pay for it 'self. Sometimes just digging clad will get you enough money to move on up. I have no problem selling my clad or jewelry (that my wife doesn't take). But will not sell any of my old coins they are priceless to me. Good luck and Happy Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread