04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT PRO,
Whites MXT TRACKER E-SERIES
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 8.5 x 11 DD coil broke today. One of the attachment lobes that connect to the shafts thru bolt snap and now I am looking for some advice on what coil to replace this one with. I have the 5"x 8" DD and the 4.5" super sniper Concentric Coil. I mainly use my detector for dirt hunting and occasional fresh water hunting. What coil and why should I be looking at?

Thanks and HH

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know it's about the same size coil you already have but NEL's 9.5 X 5.5 Sharpshooter coil works extremely well. I have one myself and use it 90% of the time.

OP
OP

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it's about the same size coil you already have but NEL's 9.5 X 5.5 Sharpshooter coil works extremely well. I have one myself and use it 90% of the time.

I'm thinking I want a replacement about the same size as the 8.5 x 11.

Thanks and HH

cruiserkev

Jan 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Try a CORS Scout or a NEL Hunter coil. Slightly larger than your stock one but you will get a couple more inches of depth as a trade off. They are built better than the Garrett coils so it shouldn't break on you. I like mine and haven't taken it off in months. HH! :thumbsup:

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try a CORS Scout or a NEL Hunter coil. Slightly larger than your stock one but you will get a couple more inches of depth as a trade off. They are built better than the Garrett coils so it shouldn't break on you. I like mine and haven't taken it off in months. HH! [emoji106]
Agreed. I just got the Nel Hunter coil for my pro and am very happy. Not much bigger (12.5 x 8.5) but noticeable gane in depth. And in case you are not aware, Kellyco offers discounts to t-net members.

Forgot to mention, for this to be a large coil, the separation is impressive.
HH RN

Last edited:
OP
OP

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quote Originally Posted by cruiserkev View Post

Try a CORS Scout or a NEL Hunter coil. Slightly larger than your stock one but you will get a couple more inches of depth as a trade off. They are built better than the Garrett coils so it shouldn't break on you. I like mine and haven't taken it off in months. HH!

Agreed. I just got the Nel Hunter coil for my pro and am very happy. Not much bigger (12.5 x 8.5) but noticeable gane in depth. And in case you are not aware, Kellyco offers discounts to t-net members.

Forgot to mention, for this to be a large coil, the separation is impressive.
HH RN

Thanks for the feedback on the two coils. Not an easy decision to make when I haven't used either one.

Thanks and HH

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My 8.5 x 11 DD coil broke today. One of the attachment lobes that connect to the shafts thru bolt snap and now I am looking for some advice on what coil to replace this one with. I have the 5"x 8" DD and the 4.5" super sniper Concentric Coil. I mainly use my detector for dirt hunting and occasional fresh water hunting. What coil and why should I be looking at?

Thanks and HH

Did you contact Garrett about warranty? Might see what they say. The stock coil on the Garrett AT Pro is a good one!

OP
OP

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you contact Garrett about warranty? Might see what they say. The stock coil on the Garrett AT Pro is a good one!

Not that I haven't thought about it. I just didn't know how they would handle the coil being broken at the lobes connecting to the shaft. Will call first thing Monday morning.

Thanks and HH

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not that I haven't thought about it. I just didn't know how they would handle the coil being broken at the lobes connecting to the shaft. Will call first thing Monday morning.

Thanks and HH

Very welcome! Hope it works out!

OP
OP

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very welcome! Hope it works out!

Well, like I said I would, I called Garrett and talked to Adam and explained what problem I had with the stock 8.5 x 11 coil. Gave the serial number, my name, address and phone number and he said one would be shipped out ASAP and to return the bad coil when I receive the replacement. BAMMM... Just that easy. Thanks again for the suggestion.

HH

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well seems like you got everything fixed, but I'll still recommend the NEL Tornado, or CORS Strike coil. slightly heavier but the trade off is 3-4 more inches of depth, Its been on my AT pro since i got it...

OP
OP

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well seems like you got everything fixed, but I'll still recommend the NEL Tornado, or CORS Strike coil. slightly heavier but the trade off is 3-4 more inches of depth, Its been on my AT pro since i got it...

If you truly get that much more depth, than its worth considering.

Thanks and HH

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, like I said I would, I called Garrett and talked to Adam and explained what problem I had with the stock 8.5 x 11 coil. Gave the serial number, my name, address and phone number and he said one would be shipped out ASAP and to return the bad coil when I receive the replacement. BAMMM... Just that easy. Thanks again for the suggestion.

HH

Very welcome. Adam is a good dude!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The attack is out biggest depth monster but here are all the NEL coils Garrett NEL Coils | BigBoysHobbies

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see you got your issue soon to be fixed but I would like to say that for future coil replacements for an AT Pro I use the NEL SharpShooter and NEL Storm each has there place. The SharpShooter is on the AT Pro 99% of the time as it really has great discrimnation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread