So dug this amazing piece of history, thinking about donating to a museum?

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never thought something like this would come out of the ground let alone in the area it was found. It was dug up way upstate in NY far away from all the major battlefields and areas you would think troops from the civil war came from. I have had it checked by a historian, it is the real thing in his opionin, here is is a civl war GAR medal (thanks for kind forum folk with the ID).

civil_war_medal_of_honor.jpg

Last edited:

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its really awesome... but its a GAR medal... Great Army of the Republic...
Great find!

ucvrelics.com

Nov 3, 2014
Birmingham Al
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75LTD
Nautilus DMC 2b 15 inch head
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very Nice Find. Look on the sides of the star and see what the serial# is.

OP
OP
austin_luker

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very Nice Find. Look on the sides of the star and see what the serial# is.

Checked pretty good and do not see any serial# on the side of the star?

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never thought something like this would come out of the ground let alone in the area it was found. It was dug up way upstate in NY far away from all the major battlefields and areas you would think troops from the civil war came from. I have had it checked by a historian, it is the real thing in his opionin, here is is a civl war GAR medal (thanks for kind forum folk with the ID).

View attachment 1376801

It's not Civil War. It is an item from a Civil War Veteran meaning he fought in the Civil War. I see them at head stones in old cemeteries all the time. Your historian is correct in that it is real but G.A.R. was formed after the war and your medal never saw combat. The person wearing it had seen combat in the Civil War. Think of G.A.R. as a veterans group. Hope that clears things up. Nice find but it never saw action south of the Mason Dixon line .

OP
OP
austin_luker

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's what I thought all along, if you google "GAR" you get a wonderful wiki page. I didn't think the medal saw combat just the person who received the metal :) All in all very cool find and not many of these in the ground I'm sure!
Thanks for all your info RUSTYNAILSANDSCREWS your pretty knowledgeable on your civil war facts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread