Field Test Of The New Garrett Wireless System.....

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro

wireless.jpg

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Mike likes it! GREAT IDEA

fosgate3

Greenie
Sep 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgive me if this is a noob question but what are the advantages to having a wireless system (other than not having a cable coiled around the detector shaft)? Does it improve performance?

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Forgive me if this is a noob question but what are the advantages to having a wireless system (other than not having a cable coiled around the detector shaft)? Does it improve performance?

It frees you from being tethered to your detector. A real bonus when hunting in the woods and not getting the headset caught in the shrubs or tree branches. Also a nice change when setting your detector on the ground to retrieve a target.

I

pistol-pete

Nov 4, 2012
Custer County, CO. at 9300 Ft.
Detector(s) used
1970 Garrett Hunter, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This makes NO since. A wireless headset should have the receiver built into the headset. We want to get rid of ALL of the wires. Seems Garrett has missed the mark here.

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
This makes NO since. A wireless headset should have the receiver built into the headset. We want to get rid of ALL of the wires. Seems Garrett has missed the mark here.

Currently, there is no set of compatable Garrett wireless headphones available. Hopefully they may in the future. On the plus side, many people prefer to use a specific brand/type of headset on their unit. This allows them to do so. To help get rid of the wires, just run the headset cable underneath your shirt and out the bottom to the reciever on your belt. That helps a lot.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hooked up an FM transmitter to my Ace 250 10 years ago and it worked fine, this doesn't look much more advanced than that, plus I didn't need a receiver unit.

Looks awkward and a potential charging/interference nightmare, plus its easy to see it going for half the cost of an AT pro. ... Of course, I have a Deus so by default I wouldn't be interested.

Edit: Wow, just found my wireless 250 post from a decade ago, how time flies !
Turns out I did need a receiver, but could have easily got rid of that by buying headphones with an fm tuner built it, widely available at the time. Never got into headphones though, and in fact didn't start using them until I got the Deus a few months back.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/tech-talk/8864-semi-cordless-headphones-detectors.html

These days there are mini bluetooth transmitters, so you'd use one of those instead of an fm transmitter, then the signal should go to any bluetooth headphones. [Have no idea why everything formats after a link, and no the "remove format" button doesn't do a thing].

Only snag there with a machine like the AT is the propriety headphone outlet, you'd need that adapter cord. Those with standard 1/4 jacks could go bluetooth wireless any time they felt like it for very little $$.

Last edited:

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This^^^Plus you have to mount the transmitter to the detector. Should be in the detector housing. Dont want something extra to recharge all the time either. Admittedly, I may purchase one if not to expensive to use on my backup detector. Once you go wireless(Deus), you cant go back

Last edited:

Andy Nunez

Nov 19, 2015
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 or Garrett Ace 400 with a Cors Cannon coil and Z-lynk, Predator Piranha shovel, White's TRX pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the price is right, I'm in. Yeah, it's a bit clunky compared to true wireless headphones, but if for some reason your battery dies, you can still go back to detecting by unplugging the Z-lynk and plugging your headphones back into the detector. I can't tell you how many times I've cursed when the cord gets snagged on the splash cover or my coat tail and nearly yanks the phones off my head. I'll stick the receiver in a back pocket or rig up an old ammo holder for my belt. Again, if the price is right. If a good set of wireless headphones is under $200, the price point on this system should be no more than half that to make it competitive. The video was very good and I'm almost sold. A cheap price will put me over. :)

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Chinese version of this is less than $100.
My bet is their less than $150.
Garrett is going to sell these like hotcakes.
I like using only my Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
I can use these on all of my main go to detectors too.
Etrac > MXT All Pro > AT Pro > F75SE DST >
I am calling today and get a price and eta.
I'm in...
Gary from Oregon

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think you can cut off the headphone wires and mount the receiver on the headphone bow. loosing all the wires// I will be getting this asap. Perry

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
I would think you can cut off the headphone wires and mount the receiver on the headphone bow. loosing all the wires// I will be getting this asap. Perry

You know........ that really is a pretty good idea!:headbang:

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Too little too late. I have the Israeli Rapoo 2.4 wireless headphones. Cost me 30 dollars on e-bay. They work great on my AT Pro with no lag, and no wires. Funny thing is that they sound terrible on my Makro Racer 2 so i will be getting the Racer proprietary 2.4 solution. So that's $150.00 for 2 different headsets which is the same as the Garrett Z-link price for their still semi wired set. I like Garrett, but i like Makro better, and I think I'll be using the Makro more anyway since it is AWESOME!!!

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The price is out now...

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Currently, there is no set of compatable Garrett wireless headphones available. Hopefully they may in the future. On the plus side, many people prefer to use a specific brand/type of headset on their unit. This allows them to do so. To help get rid of the wires, just run the headset cable underneath your shirt and out the bottom to the reciever on your belt. That helps a lot.

Yes there are.
And with less parts.
https://www.deteknix.com/product/wire-free-wa/

deteknix Wless4ATP.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread