South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi All. I'm looking for some advice on a larger coil for my ACE 250. I know the obvious upgrade is simply going for the AT Pro, but I'm probably not ready for that yet. Basically I want more depth in the dirt and more coverage on the beach. I'm absolutely dialed in on the tones and feedback from the 250 and if I could get another 3" of depth and double the sweep I hope to be able to pull up some older targets.

I carry a Rosie with me and drop it in the first hole I dig. Many times when in easily target a modern quarter then drop in the Rosie, the 250 does not give any signal or something very weak and not repeating. Thought is the old coins are under my coil, but I need 2" more coil strength.

Are there any larger coils compatible with the 250 that are proven and in the $100 range? Let me know if anyone has some leads on this for me. I'm ok with having to relearning a new coil's pinpointing and rethinking the depth scale.Thx

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I liked the 12" coil on the Ace 250.

With that said, the Tesoro Silver uMax with the standard 9" concentric is deeper than the Ace 250 with the 12" x 9" DD. :occasion14:

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
The nice thing about using about using coils from the ACE Series is that they are all interchangeable. So, your current coil(s) will also work on the new ACE 400i. I prefer concentric coils, as they give better accurate ID on targets, especially bottle caps. They also pinpoint a whole easier too. For higher mineralized soils, you may have to decrease some sensitivity and/or eliminate the notches where regular falsing occurs. The nice thing about Garrett Detectors using the notching system, is that there is no loss of depth as you continue to remove selective notches. When using other detectors which have a knob to remove more targets, as you advance turning it, you do in fact lose depth, more as you advance the knob. Should the area you hunt be of a higher degree of minerization, switching to a DD coil like the 8.5" x 11" may allow you to punch in a little more depth. You may have to again, turn down the sensitivity and/or remove some notches to get maximum performance under those conditions.

Below is a link to some great information on search coils and a diagram on how to easily pinpoint with great accuracy.

Garrett's Searchcoil Tech Sheet | How Searchcoils Work

addon.jpg

Zip Zip

Dec 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Big-500x500.jpg This is Nel's Big coil for the Ace 250 (15 X 17 ) if you want to go BIG :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread