My Garrett Carrot tip wore through.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hate to be so aggressive but damn you wore that thing out, there is only one way to get a PP to look like that! Sanding the gravel lots or using it in sandy/Rocky soil (sand turns into sandpaper rubbing between PP and rock) Looks like someone needs to make an instruction video on how NOT to use the Garrett Pro Pointer AT. Don't dig with it - It's not a shovel period, Don't push it into the ground - it's not a shovel, make a "plug" remove soil and then in the open space you just creatated see if the PP sounds off if not use the MD scan the hole and see if its deeper. If its deeper get the shovel back out, keep doing this until target is found or lost (from falling deeper in the monster hole your making)

OP
OP
U

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never dug with it! Maybe I just used mine more than you. That's what 3-4 hours every day and sometimes 8-10 hours on weekends for a year will do to it. Never in gravel, once in a sand box, mostly soccer fields and parks.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
By any chance is yours a really good knock off? Send that back to Garrett and tell them its from daily use and see what they say I would love to hear :)

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Send it back to Garrett, they can fix or replace it and I bet they even do it under warranty. They are a great company and will stand behind any of their products.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so ive been having a problem with mine stop vibrating and beeping, its never been under water .Look what came out from the inside water proof yeah right! DSCN1391.JPG DSCN1392.JPG

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do a thin fiberglass repair. Should hold up for at least another year

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This makes me wonder if these are knockoffs? I've had mine for well over a year. I scrub the hell out of it in the dirt, it's been submerged in water several times and gets washed under water spicket on a regular basis. Checked it out and inside is clean and dry and the tip shows very little wear. Only wear it shows is all the paint is off the lettering.

HH RN

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bought mine from a local authorized garrett dealer. Its worked fine since I poured the sand out of it. I had it suerged under water today at the beach so we will see how it goes.If it goes out I know garrett will take care of it though every time I have ever called them they have been helpful. btw im scrub mine too in the course sand its been tough.

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had the same with mise, wore right through the tip. Called Garrett and go a RMA and when I got it back it was like new with a completely new outer shell.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I Still find this very hard to believe, I have 3 friends I go out with all have Garrett's Carrot and none of us have even close to this issue and yes we detect almost every single day at least 2 hours and 10-12 hours Sat/Sun. Even the "scraper" part still has a good chunk of meat left on it. So who is going to make the Youtube parody video :)

OP
OP
U

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very old thread but here's how I fixed my Garret pinpointer with the hole worn through the tip, still works! I used a 3/4" pic pipe cap then dunked it in a few coats of plastidip. The plastidip lasts about forever and when I got my MI-6 about three years ago I dipped it the first day I got it, it is finally showing a little wear from using it for 3 years instead of wearing the pinpointer. I'll clean it up and give it a couple more coats and it should last forever.
IMG_8325.jpg

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Garrett Carrot tip wore through and now it's giving false readings, sometimes stays with a constant beep on even when near nothing. Is it common for these things to wear out? I've had it less than a year and the tip is pretty much gone. I don't dig with it, it's just sanded off. Can you coat them with something? I doubt if it's waterproof anymore because it was doing weird stuff from just getting the dew from grass on the tip.
Look around the plumbing aisle or plumbing supply shops. They have vinyl & plastic caps that go over the end of a roll of copper tubing. Buy two or three, make sure your carrot tip is clean & dry, slide it on & you're good to go. A drop of liquid electrical tape helps if you're especially brutal

Reactions: ARC

ADHD_Outdoors

Mar 31, 2022
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Email Garrett. They will give you a repair number to send in. They have a 10 day turnaround guaranteeand my work was done faster than that. Simply exceptional customer service.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread