The Mighty Sniper Coil Took A Ride With The ACE 400 On Such A Cold Winters Day

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
k%201_zpsrgne4hns.jpg~original

It was a little cold today! Temps of -6°C/21°F. means the rechargeable NiMH batteries need to stay warm or they will drain quickly. I just tape one of those hot pacs on the machine head, cover it with a kleenex to add R value the slip on the cover. That keeps the batteries warm for about 10 hours.

k%204_zpssxpgurea.jpg~original

That little hockey puck coil really hits tiny targets. I air tested pennies to about 5 1/2 inches. It's great for getting into tiny spots. I have never been a fan of large coils....the ID isn't that precise, they suck in trashy places and are heavy.

k%206_zpshrkptzff.jpg~original

I was working an old pic-nic site, which I have hit several times in the last 20 years or so. It still sometimes gives up a good find or two. On the left is the lid of an old canning jar, a common find in old pic-nic areas. The pic on the right is a rabbit hiding in a hole from the roots of a large pine tree which had fallen.Poor feller........he turned white for the winter, yet we have little snow. Kinda sticks out like a sore thumb.

k%205_zpsfqgyh5md.jpg~original

Ha! I bet this person was pizzed! Nearly a full pack of cigarettes lost. At $10.00+ a pack, can't blame him. The lighter was found in another area. I haven't found a Zippo lighter for a while.

k%2010_zpssbzuefm2.jpg~original

Probably an old mechanical bell which was used on a bicycle. Much more complicated then today's bells.

k%2013_zpsl8mk6iie.jpg~original

Here's the only coin I got....one clad dime. Those 22 casings were buried 2-3 inches. It was beginning to get dark out, I was getting cold and brought along some nice recently smoked deer jerky for a snack. It was time to leave!

k 14.jpg

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had my sniper coil on the F75LTD2 for a few weeks now. I plan on going over old permissions with it through the end of the season to see what I can sniff out due to better target separation in trashy areas. The more areas I have used it on, the more impressed I am. I have been amazed at what the stock coil missed on previous hunts. The 5"DD for the F75 gets amazingly deep for it's size. I dug a couple indian heads and wheats at 8-10 inches deep with the sniper coil.

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
I have had my sniper coil on the F75LTD2 for a few weeks now. I plan on going over old permissions with it through the end of the season to see what I can sniff out due to better target separation in trashy areas. The more areas I have used it on, the more impressed I am. I have been amazed at what the stock coil missed on previous hunts. The 5"DD for the F75 gets amazingly deep for it's size. I dug a couple indian heads and wheats at 8-10 inches deep with the sniper coil.

Those coils are really underestimated. Bigger is not always better.......

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does the little coil stack up to the 5x8 I have ?? is it worth my buying it ??

Andy Nunez

Nov 19, 2015
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 or Garrett Ace 400 with a Cors Cannon coil and Z-lynk, Predator Piranha shovel, White's TRX pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see uses for both sizes. I use my big Cors Cannon in open fields to cover more ground. I agree that the ID can sometimes deviate, but its something that can be learned with experience. I want to get a small coil, thinking about a 5 x 8 instead of the Hockey puck, because I agree with John that in trashy areas the big coils are useless. I have an area in mind in the midst of a field. I have hunted all around it with the big coil and found buttons and a silver brooch, but can't get inside the footprint of the building location due to massive iron nails all around, so want to jump in with a small coil and see if there is something precious among the iron. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread