running wide open

Cletus

Nov 24, 2015
Winchester Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett AT Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually run my ATP wide open. sensitivity all the way up and 0 discrimination.
But since I switched over to the NEL Tornado I have had to make some changes.
running 0 disc. in my test garden on a 10" quarter and 10" mini ball I get a low iron grunt
with NO high tone. A target that I would not dig. if I run the disc up past 27 the high tones start ringing out. I just don't
understand this??? has anyone else had the same issue?

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never had that problem. I also have zero ground mineralization.
Your using a bigger coil now. Could there be any iron trace around you items planted?
If not try manually lowering the balance numbers manually to enhance higher conductors.
If all else fails see if your losing depth with discrimination set as you have it. Oh and if it's a newer quarter, it's made from crap and most sound that way with all my machines. Plant a silver quarter and you'll see.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
All detectors lose their abilities to accurately ID coin sized objects at greater depth. The fact that you are getting a low grunt on your mini ball and quarter at 10 inches validates that. On the plus side, you now know what those deep targets sound like, so keep on digging. And repeatable signal at great depth should be dug anyways, as that would suggest that it is old.

OP
OP
Cletus

Cletus

Nov 24, 2015
Winchester Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett AT Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All detectors lose their abilities to accurately ID coin sized objects at greater depth. The fact that you are getting a low grunt on your mini ball and quarter at 10 inches validates that. On the plus side, you now know what those deep targets sound like, so keep on digging. And repeatable signal at great depth should be dug anyways, as that would suggest that it is old.

John I'm not worried about the VDI at all. just cant figure why I'm losing the higher tone on 0 disc. but hearing it when running disc,?
I dig all high tones have a 5 gal bucket of junk to prove it lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread