Gold and Silver signals on AT Pro?

drenalin11

Nov 23, 2016
Greenville, MS
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anybody give me some examples of what Gold and Silver items you have found show up as on the target ID and be as specific as possible as to what the item was and what it rang up as? Do they range depending on whether it's a necklace or ring or earring? I don't have any to run a bunch of tests on so I've got to ask what you all have actually seen on your AT Pros.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Who's got that VDI chart lol, I know I just saw it on another post. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
D

drenalin11

Nov 23, 2016
Greenville, MS
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found it, thanks... Didnt know there was such a thing as a "VDI Chart"... so now how do I delete this post?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately you cant..

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello drenalin11,

There are ID numbers for specific gold targets, but, and a huge BUT, they vary from item to item depending on size, configuration...etc. I have found gold items in the following range: 37 - 68 on the AT Pro. Now if you analyze these numbers from a comprehensive ID chart, you will see most of the junk lives in this region too! IMHO, there is no sure fire way to obtain gold discoveries except to dig the mid-tones and live with the pull tabs, nickels...etc. I will say that the highest probability (from real life recoveries) has been in the 47 - 60 region.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting

Doc

OP
OP
D

drenalin11

Nov 23, 2016
Greenville, MS
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm... that's not good... I passed on several targets in the "pull tab" range yesterday

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many gold rings are in the same range as pull tabs.. Just depends on what others metals they are alloyed with. Silver is more conductive than gold, etc.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Men's jewelry dig nickels and pull tabs. Women's jewelry dig foil and iron. It's that simple and that daunting.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Almost everyone of my gold rings 11 of 13) have come in as perfect nickels 52 VDI and tone for nickels

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Rectangular Pull-tabs are generally easy to ID. They bang unusually hard and often times give a double bleep. Rings sharing the same conductivity numbers read more of a soft tone, and sometimes a little on the rough side. The numbers usually remain consistent in all directions. Now, the older beaver tale pull tabs can mimick a gold ring, as can a common rectangular pull-tab cut in half.

No matter how you do it, you have to dig a lot of junk to get the gold. It's all about the "odds" gambling scenario.

DIGS.jpg

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Recommend Grey Ghost headphones because they really help distinguish the different tones the Pro puts out. The silver really whines

OP
OP
D

drenalin11

Nov 23, 2016
Greenville, MS
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up a pair and yes there is a HUGE difference. The headphones that came with it just didn't fit very well and came off every time I went to dig a target. I still haven't found any gold or silver yet though.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've dug gold that came up anywhere in the low 40s to 70. Most men's rings are usually a solid 50 - 60 range. For us land locked guys you usually have to dig a ton of pull tabs and nickles to find gold. Here are some of my past threads when I kept track of the ratio of gold to pull tabs and nickels. Pull tab ratio #1, pull tab ratio #2.

As for silver... half dollars are around 90. A silver dollar is around 90-92, silver quarter are usually a 86-88, dimes are 83. Silver rings can be anywhere from 75 to 90 depending on the size. Older, deeper coins can really throw VDI numbers off. Today I dug a deep barber in the woods that was a 65-70. Other nearby objects or trash in the dirt will throw the numbers off too.

I find a lot of gold and silver because I am fast and efficient at pinpointing and retrieving objects in the dirt, thus digging many object in an hour. Sure, I dig a lot of trash, but you have to dig trash to find the good stuff.

2016-12-26 10.40.58.jpg

sigjojo

Greenie
Dec 30, 2016
Acworth, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently bought an AT Pro and really just learning to use it.. I live on an old farm and keep getting solid hits in the 80's & 90's , some 99's but I have yet to dig up anything other than trash.. thoughts?

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
sigjojo.Take a half dollar and a quarter and a nickel and a cent and lay them out where you know the ground is clean of other metal objects. Notice how short the tones are compared to a smashed can? The can will make the noise much longer through the swing than the coins.
Slow down...go real slow in an area that is one of those "gotta be old coins dropped around here" areas and just keep trying. You'll get the hang of it and digging everything as learning is the way it's done. Now, if you're looking for great grandpas coffee can full of gold coins, you're going to have to dig all the right sized iron signals as well.
dreenalin11. The vdi is only going to confirm a shallow target and there no magic numbers. Learn the audio in pro mode.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a sterling band that came in at 99. A nice gold ring came in at 57/58. and a small gold ring at 42/43.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread