Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2016
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello,

I am new here, and new to using a metal detector. I bought a new Garrett 250 yesterday. I unboxed it last night and turned my son turned it on. He held it up to a jar of pennies in the house and it seemed to work fine.

I put it in the closet last night and when I got it out today, it comes on and beeps when it first comes on, but that's it. It will not detect anything at all. Nothing. I have waved coins around the coil, put coins on the floor, etc. Not a sound.

It has new batteries.

I've checked the cable connection and it is correct and tight.

Any idea?

Thanks!

RacerX99

Greenie
Dec 31, 2016
Clearwater FL
Detector(s) used
Currently using AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Fleetwood271! Happy New Years!

For the record the Ace 250 was my 2nd metal detector and it is a great little detector (supposedly "the most purchased detector Worldwide") to learn with and will find lots of stuff at a fair depth compared to other detectors in the same price range.

Have you tried taking out the batteries, then putting them back in? If that doesn't work reset the detector and hopefully

Happy New Years and HH!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When turned on: does it show fully charged batteries? If not, maybe inadvertently left on all night. Next check that your sensitivity level is all the way up. If you have full battery and full sensitivity it should be making all kinds of noise around your house. Also check that the serial cable is fully engaged and screwed in right. Take out the headphone jack and if you still hear no sounds then do a reset. I believe this works by pressing the power button down for like 20 seconds, until it beeps. If still nothing, I would return or call Garrett

OP
OP
F

Fleetwood271

Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2016
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have boxed it up and will be returning it tomorrow.

I tried new batteries. I tried resetting it four times. I took off the cable and reconnected it three times. I adjusted sensitivity several times. i tossed coins in my yard and passed the coil directly over them and it made no sound at all.

The only sound it would make was when I first turned it on.

I am new to this and was hoping to spend this weekend on my first hunt. So far my first experience has not been good :-(

I have done a lot of reading in the past two days since my Ace 250 will not work. I am now thinking I may just go ahead and buy the AT Pro.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Go with the Pro, I bought the Ace and 2 months later bought the At pro. I Don't use my 250 anymore.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you have the $$ do the AT. The 250 is definitely simpler to operate and probably easier to have some early success if you coin hunt in coin mode as your first detector. I've probably paid for my 250 already 3x in 1 year. I guess this would have paid for the AT.

OP
OP
F

Fleetwood271

Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2016
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Guys! I have returned the 250 and have ordered the AT Pro. It will be here on Wednesday.

Hopefully the next time I have something to post, it will be from my first find.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Way to go! You're gonna love it! So much more info from the AT than the Ace 250. Plus it didn't take long for me to get annoyed at the bell tone of the Ace so you made a great choice. Won't take you long to understand the Pro.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread