Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Standard is easier to learn for a beginer but pro is the better mode.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
learn it in pro from the beginning or you will have to learn it later thus that would make you having to learn the machine twice.

OP
OP
S

stefs

Nov 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you , i will listen to you my friends.
Can you tell me which is different of these 2 modes?

drenalin11

Nov 23, 2016
Greenville, MS
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started with pro and try standard every now and then but after a month I can't stand standard anymore... Pro gives you so much more info as far as the sound goes and that helps a lot when you get familiar with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cletus

Nov 24, 2015
Winchester Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett AT Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the ATP is not hard to learn. start off in pro zero. just listen to the tones. the VDI can be helpful but it does not always show on deep targets.
just take your time. the ATP is a fantastic machine. I'm sure you will love it.

Cletus

Nov 24, 2015
Winchester Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett AT Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

the tones on the standard mode sound a little different. sort of a bell sound. and you will not get the depth on the standard mode that you will get on the pro mode.

OP
OP
S

stefs

Nov 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If i see frequency lower than 50, its all useless metals?
If i allright, why a lot off people dig this?

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Start with AT PRO MODE this is the deepest mode. Run in the all metal mode, iron discrimination of 32. Use the tones and VDI to detect by. A good set of headphones will further bring out the different tones. The reason you dig 50 and other is because the targets break up or expand with depth.

OP
OP
S

stefs

Nov 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i understand, but if i see depth 2 or 4'', and lower than 50, this is all useless?

cuts

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2015
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garret Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Starting 3rd year with AT Pro. Great coin and relic finder, not a lot of gold in MN, (at least not yet). Pro mode provides better signal discrimination especially in high trash areas. Suggest you work EACH mode to familiarize yourself with the technology this detector uses, tones are very important and learning them is essential. I think VDI helps immensely especially when you keep track of the VDI number associated with the target you just dug. Takes a bit of getting used to, but you will find the combination of tone and VDI work hand in hand.

My best dig using tone (pro zero) was this old pocket knife wedged between two oak planks nailed together and covered with heavy wet clay. The coins were found that same day but in different locations. The knife rang up as VDI 89, and after sweeping very slowly I could clearly discern tones between knife and nails. Of course I didn't know it was a knife, thought I hit the motherlode.

0321151920 (2016_09_25 03_43_14 UTC).jpg

OP
OP
S

stefs

Nov 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do i need post different settings when i go to beach and when i go to mountains?

drenalin11

Nov 23, 2016
Greenville, MS
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes... you'll need to ground balance for sure... at the beach I've read several saying that setting the ground balance to 14 - 17 then tuning the sensitivity works pretty decent in wet sand but in the mountains should just ground balance then turn the ground balance down 10 points (better for detecting silver) and go... but others with more knowledge will chime in eventually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

stefs

Nov 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you my friend..

CaballoDeOro

Jun 29, 2012
Southwest MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i understand, but if i see depth 2 or 4'', and lower than 50, this is all useless?

Not necessarily. It depends what you're hunting for! If you are hunting relics, a strong 25 signal may be just what you're looking for. Remember that ground conditions, orientation, depth, etc can all change the VDI number. For example, a small, delicate gold chain might come up as a 45. Use the VDI as part of the information about the target, but don't rely on it. In time, your ears will tell you a lot more about the target than the display.

maxxkatt

Jul 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, I followed this advice from the first day of owning my AT pro and don't regret it one bit. I learned more about metal detecting in the pro zero mode in six months than I did with 5 years using my older Fisher ID edge. I thought the ID Edge VDI was the answer to all my metal detecting wishes. WRONG! like many experienced guys say on this forum, the real discrimination is between your two ears. They are so right. Good head phones help a lot to get rid of noise from nearby traffic, leaf blowers, lawn mowers and surf sounds especially on faint signals.

Cuervo

Aug 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hello, the difference between Standard and Pro, "Proportional mode," is that in Standard mode, all targets regarless of their depth respond with the same volume of audio tone. In the Pro mode, deeper targets respond with a softer or lower audio volume response. Put a coin on the ground and pass the coil over the coin with the coil held about 5 inches/12.5 cm above the target and switch between the Standard and Pro modes, and hear the difference. You will be surprised at the difference.

Cuervo.

OP
OP
S

stefs

Nov 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you tell me, what do you think is the best options for this:
pljaj_krasnaja_golova.jpg
Or this:
x320_ist_1321_petrovac_010_Ulcinj_Kite_Sfera_Velika_Plaza006.jpg.pagespeed.ic.l059BnGQPW.jpg

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had my ATP for about a month now and used it in both modes, And still don't understand why it has the standard mode.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread