AT Pro 2.

OP
OP
Irishgoldhound

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
...sorry that first part was supposed to say "wireless" not witless. Frickin auto correct

fuzzytexan

Feb 7, 2015
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's gonna be interesting for sure. With the new wireless Z Lynk headphone setup I am looking forward to seeing what the new detector has to offer. I am not holding my breath on a Spring release date but it would be cool!

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm guessing the witless headphones will be wataproof ?

I for one hope they improved the terrible ergonomics on the connectors so that an adult can actually grasp and turn them.

OP
OP
Irishgoldhound

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Yeah I agree with the connectors being very awkward to connect. I Hope they changed that too.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes those connections are really bad to hook up . But with all the complaint's about that it seems Garrett does not care.

fuzzytexan

Feb 7, 2015
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How often are y'all removing and reinstalling the connections?

OP
OP
Irishgoldhound

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I just got the Nel Attack coil so this spring I'll be switching a lot from the 5"/8" coil to the Nel.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How often are y'all removing and reinstalling the connections?

Not often.
Me for one, I don't like using headphones on the land when I don't have to, the connections are such a pain that I didn't have the option to take off the water headphones when on land, and have in fact never used it on land because of that reason. I consider it a water detector only, use others on land.
Also, very important to get the headphones tight for a good water seal, I had to use a pair of needle nosed pliers for the last turns, and do the same when periodically checking it is still tight.

Hard to imagine that such a design would pass the testing phase, there is absolutely no need or reason for it. Offset the connections further back from the housing, problem solved.

Whatdayagot

Aug 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may sound like a dumb option but I think it would be a good idea as I sometimes have a hour or two to kill while child is at school . They should put a clock n alarm along with the light so u can set it to ring to remind u it's time to go cause you loose track of time "time flies when your having fun" and a Gps system would be nice so u can keep track of the stuff u find.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why Garrett doesn't address the terrible ergonomics on the AT Pro is beyond me. The reason that the smaller 5 x 8 inch is so poplar is because the larger stock coil feels like a boat anchor at the end of the lower rod. I can live with the smaller screen, no back light and hard to attach connectors, but the terrible balance is a real pain to have to put up with. I don't want hear that it's not a problem, because it's a PROBLEM. The 5 x 8 inch search coil is great for shallow silver coins at trashy sites, but is nowhere near deep enough for those deeper silver coins beyond 6 to 7 inches. That's the truth.

tabman

Gone Detectin

Nov 2, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Bandido II Umax,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm willing to bet the reason they haven't changed the ergonomics is because the coil and headphone connectors are soldered to the pcb like in the ACE series. I could be wrong :icon_scratch:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure, circuit board would need to be redesigned for a connector shift, and also the housing assembly.

I consider it to be a near defect, if its broke, then fix it.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From what I remember the connections are not connected directly to the board. That's just the way Garrett connects their coils and headphones. I could be wrong but from watching the backlight mod video on youtube I think its wires from the board the PCB

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
This may sound like a dumb option but I think it would be a good idea as I sometimes have a hour or two to kill while child is at school . They should put a clock n alarm along with the light so u can set it to ring to remind u it's time to go cause you loose track of time "time flies when your having fun" and a Gps system would be nice so u can keep track of the stuff u find.

I have often thought of that too. :) But then I remembered that when I detect I turn off my cell phone, and there is a reason for that.:laughing7:

peace.jpg

Last edited:

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Why Garrett doesn't address the terrible ergonomics on the AT Pro is beyond me. The reason that the smaller 5 x 8 inch is so poplar is because the larger stock coil feels like a boat anchor at the end of the lower rod. I can live with the smaller screen, no back light and hard to attach connectors, but the terrible balance is a real pain to have to put up with. I don't want hear that it's not a problem, because it's a PROBLEM. The 5 x 8 inch search coil is great for shallow silver coins at trashy sites, but is nowhere near deep enough for those deeper silver coins beyond 6 to 7 inches. That's the truth.

tabman

Tabman......you ARE FUNNY! You need to start doing some exercises with weights flexing your elbow and shoulder to build up some more muscle mass or take some steroids to build up some stamina! You have been swinging those "lightest in the industry" detectors far too long. All my friends who swing the AT Series have NEVER complained about the weight issue. However, some folks new to the hobby probably would, as they have not built up any stamina or significant muscle mass to hunt for extended periods. And seriously, do you really think people use the 5 x 8 coil to dig deep targets? Are you that new to metal detecting?

attachment.php

Last edited:

CJayC

Jan 14, 2017
Auburn, WA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmm... might be a good thing that I still have to wait a couple months until I can make a purchase. On one hand, when/if the newer model is released, the existing one should see a price reduction. On the other, however, I really like new stuff. Crap...

Charlesp54

Oct 31, 2012
Hernando Ms / Memphis Tn
Detector(s) used
ATPro, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Propointer, 11" DD Coil, 5" DD Coil, 8" Concentric Coil, BH Tracker 4, Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dont know what the name of the new unit will be but I was told today by a Garrett dealer that there is in fact a new Garrett coming out this spring and that it would have back light and built in wireless.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread