Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CJayC

Jan 14, 2017
Auburn, WA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good morning folks ,,, I am still getting use to he AT pro, with the 5x8 coil, I mostly run the machine in Pro Zero with 35 is points of disc, and auto Ground balancing , I would like to hear from more experience folks who know more about GB than I do. Thanks

Here what from them, though? Do you have questions, or looking for advice, for instance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
captbo

captbo

Jan 1, 2015
Calvert Co Md / Atlantic NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800.Garrett AT Pro,Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Garrett Ace 250
Deteknix X pointer
Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CJayC , what I am hoping to learn is how other more experience folks than I set the ground balance of there machines, Do they use the auto feature,? do they use the Auto feature to get close then apply more or less manual adjustments?, Things like that

Cuervo

Aug 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning folks ,,, I am still getting use to he AT pro, with the 5x8 coil, I mostly run the machine in Pro Zero with 35 is points of disc, and auto Ground balancing , I would like to hear from more experience folks who know more about GB than I do. Thanks

I run ground balance slightly positive of the defult auto ground balance, which when raising or lowering the coil to the ground does not change the threshhold sound in either diection. A negative ground balance will reduce depth because the threshold, if using an autotune feature,you hear the threshold, but requires more sensitivity to obtain the same depth of running ground balance at default or slightly positive setting.
Also, if you hunt an iron infested area, you should ground balance on a clean piece of ground and lock the ground balance at that setting, other wise the detector will start to tune out iron targets, thus scewing the ground balance for other targets and reducing over all depth.

OP
OP
captbo

captbo

Jan 1, 2015
Calvert Co Md / Atlantic NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800.Garrett AT Pro,Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Garrett Ace 250
Deteknix X pointer
Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cuervo,, when you refer to slight would you say two points?

Cuervo

Aug 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cuervo,, when you refer to slight would you say two points?

No, I have an Euro Ace , but I have an other auto groung balance and tracking detector, and also I owned a manual ground balance detector. I found that if I were to manualy tune ground balance to slightly positive (depending on your hearing), so that when you lower the coil to a clean piece of ground and you hear a slight increace in threshold, like a small piece of gold, then you will have maximum sensitivity to all targets. Depending on how good your hearing is, it is your choice of points.

Steve.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the AT Pro does NOT have Auto-ground balance. Where did you hear or get that from? It will turn on with the GB at 90 I think but that's not Auto-ground balance.
If your looking to get a little more depth you can use the "pump" method to GB then lower the GB 4-5 points to be more sensitive to silver and other high conductors. The machine may be a little more chatty though.

Last edited:

CJayC

Jan 14, 2017
Auburn, WA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the AT Pro does NOT have Auto-ground balance. Where did you hear or get that from? It will turn on with the GB at 90 I think but that's not Auto-ground balance.
If your looking to get a little more depth you can use the "pump" method to GB then lower the GB 4-5 points to be more sensitive to silver and other high conductors. The machine may be a little more chatty though.

Garrett refers to that feature as "auto ground balance," so that is probably where that assumption came from.

image.png

Cuervo

Aug 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cuervo, the At pro does not have a threshold.

You are correct Sir! When manually setting ground balance, lifting and lowering the coil to the ground produces high tones when ground balance is too positive, and low tones when ground balance is too negative. A medium tone is produced when the ground balance is just about right. Garrett recommends increasing the ground balance slighty into positive to increase sensitivity to small targets. And to balance slightly negative to reduce hot rocks and wet salt beach.

Down load the manual for the ATPro.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett refers to that feature as "auto ground balance," so that is probably where that assumption came from.

Interesting Garrett calls having to pump the coil up and down "auto ground balance" lol I guess the Auto part is you doing the pumping :)

Cuervo

Aug 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting Garrett calls having to pump the coil up and down "auto ground balance" lol I guess the Auto part is you doing the pumping :)

No disrespect, but obviously you did not down load the manual. Garrett calls it "Manual Ground Balance."
I have owned ten differnent detectors from eight companies. I do not want to sound like I am bragging, but my metal detecting experience is vast. Just telling you the truth.

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No disrespect, but obviuosly you did not down load the manual. Garrett calls it "Manual Ground Balance."
I have owned ten differnent decetors from eight companies. I do not want to sound like am bragging, but my metal detecting experience is vast. Just telling you the truth.

The page is posted in post #8 above. It's not automatic but they do actually call it "automatic ground balance" in the manual.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No disrespect, but obviously you did not download the manual. Garrett calls it "Manual Ground Balance."
I have owned ten different detectors from eight companies. I do not want to sound like I am bragging, but my metal detecting experience is vast. Just telling you the truth.

Mr experience lol... I love when people make themselves look bad. It's right above you in post #8 AUTO GROUND BALANCE
learn the machine, there is NO auto ground balance as far as the detector monitoring and changing the GB to the soil type. The Dues has tracking mode, that's auto ground balance!
Why so many Machines? They all do the same thing, I would think to have 2-3 machines and really learning those machines would a better

Last edited:

Cuervo

Aug 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr experience lol... I love when people make themselves look bad. It's right above you in post #8 AUTO GROUND BALANCE
learn the machine, there is NO auto ground balance as far as the detector monitoring and changing the GB to the soil type. The Dues has tracking mode, that's auto ground balance!
Why so many Machines? They all do the same thing, I would think to have 2-3 machines and really learning those machines would a better

No Disrespect, because I can. I saw post #8. You should read the entire manual for the ATP.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No Disrespect, because I can. I saw post #8. You should read the entire manual for the ATP.

All good brotha to each there own :)
I have read the manual, about 4 years ago when I got the AT Pro. Didn't teach me to much but using it for 4 years taught me lot!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread