Issue with Garrett AT Pro

digginjim

Jan 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Garrett AT PRO and I'm having an issue with it. I've returned it to Garrett numerous times to no avail. They sent me a new detector but the issue persists. The issue is that when detecting in a field if there is a tiny, single, taller sprig sticking up above the grass and I touch the sprig with the coil, I get a coin signal. However, there is nothing there. This makes it very difficult to hunt. On the beach it does the same thing when I accidentally touch a mound of sand. Has anyone else had this issue? Any ideas on what might be causing this? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

mooncusser

Sep 1, 2016
salisbury maryland
Detector(s) used
garret a/t pro whites v3i whites treasure pro
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
i was very frustrated with my machine the first month....i thought it was broken ! i mostly use it on all metal pro and slowed down and made sure i get a ping on both passes . i always seem to dig more coins then my partners . iam not saying yours isnt problem free , just sharing i had the same thoughts as you when i first started using it. and it does ping when i bump a branch or drop it to the ground or hit sand mounds.

Bamadad53

Oct 24, 2016
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too am fairly new with the AT Pro. My first month hunting was a nightmare. The AT Pro is very "chatty" when you start to use it. I had to learn to slowdown my swing and concentrate on what I was doing. Also starting out I turned my sensitivity down three bars and ran my discrimination on 40. Decide what mode you want to use and stick with it. I now use the Pro 0 mode and after 3 months I am still learning how the machine works. Once you get the feel of the MD you will find it can really sniff out stuff in the ground. Another thing make sure you coil connection is tight and your coil wire is not too loose around you shaft, I had that problem starting out.

Bamadad

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you bump it, it will ding. End of story. You can not swing it like a machete through tall grass and detect.

Nothing should be hitting the coil when you detect.

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
GPX 4800, Blisstool V6, AT Pro, Makro Racer, CZ3D, XL PRO, Nokta Relic, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guys give it time. I have found the ATP to be a very good unit for the way I hunt. Over time you will pick up on it.

As for the OP, other brands will show the same in falsing when bumped...some to a lesser or greater extent. Sometimes it will fall on the fact of hunting a highly mineralized spot with to high of a gain setting and other times a coil issue. With the coil it could be that the coil wire is wrapped to tight or a faulty coil.

sharpshooter gave you some good advice in another post you put up on the other forum, hold it away from the ground and tap the wire and coil to see if you can get it to false...use various gain settings in doing this.

Also get with someone else that runs the ATP and swap out for his coil or coils and see if you still have the problem. Good luck in getting it taken care of and post back on your findings as it will help others later.

HH

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yup...nature of the beast...but after the sage advice from the guys above, you will find the AT Pro IS a beast!

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
A lot of detectors I have used will sound off, often as a good target when suddenly coming in contact with a stick, touching the soil, hitting stationary target. That is normal. It can be caused by the coil wire just above the coil slightly moving, and the detector reading it as a target. A lot of deep metal detectors will do this. You can do a few things to help prevent this thing:

1) Wrap some Velcro tape around the coil wire close to the coil to decrease the amount of wire movement.
2) Turn down your sensitivity
3) Switch to a smaller coil
4) If the tall grass is giving up some great targets, cover the grassy areas with a sheet of plywood, then walk on it while detecting the grass underneath.
5) Ignore those signals (best suggestion) and except them as one of the warts we have to deal with, and keep on tect'n. As long as you are sometimes getting those phantom signals, you are assured that your metal detector is set up to get near or maximum depth. Decreasing the sensitivity will sometimes decrease your ability to reach those deep targets.

Good Luck!
thumbup.gif

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Garrett AT PRO and I'm having an issue with it. I've returned it to Garrett numerous times to no avail. They sent me a new detector but the issue persists. The issue is that when detecting in a field if there is a tiny, single, taller sprig sticking up above the grass and I touch the sprig with the coil, I get a coin signal. However, there is nothing there. This makes it very difficult to hunt. On the beach it does the same thing when I accidentally touch a mound of sand. Has anyone else had this issue? Any ideas on what might be causing this? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

to me, it sounds like your sensitivity is too high. Try starting at 40 or 50%, then go up until the problem begins again, then back off the sensitivity..
~hope that helps

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I disagree, backing the sens... that much will loose to much depth.

Got_4by4

Feb 9, 2009
Treasure Valley Id
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, White's IDX/Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this tread is a troll. Seriously!

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using the ATP for 5-6 years --have found that getting a bunch of false signals or chatter
is cured most of the time by dropping the sens. by 1 or2 points. tapping something WILL give off a signal
While working a large parking lot the chatter was unstoppable no matter what I did and I had to quit. found out later there was a 3' cast iron sewer pipe 3' down under that end of the lot// Love the ATP but Nothing is perfect///

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread