Any Luck with Bluetooth?

Gamma Joe

Jan 24, 2015
NE Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett GTI2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has anyone had success with Bluetooth earphones?

I tried some with two detectors: Garrett GTI2500, and Teknetics Omega 8000.

I connected a miniature Bluetooth transmitter to the detector's earphones socket. The Bluetooth headphones linked to it perfectly.

The problem is the Bluetooth time "latency" -- the time delay until the sound is heard in the headphones.

The delay wouldn't be a problem, if just listening to some music. It's a big problem for detecting.

When swinging the coil, the sounds you hear are not close to the coil's position. The sound comes after about a half-second delay. The coil has already moved away from that spot.

- - -

Here's an example.

Suppose your coil sweep is about four feet wide, with about two seconds of time from end to end.

If there's a target in your sweep, the delay makes the sound come at about 8 inches to each side of the target.

... Swinging to the right, the sound comes about 8 inches to the right of the target.

... Sweeping back to the left, the sound is about 8 inches to the left of the target.

The only way to find the target's actual position is to sweep very slowly -- at about one foot per second. Even then, going back and forth, the sound comes at two different positions several inches apart. (And also the slow sweep speed affects the way the detector works.)

If there's also trash around the target, then you get multiple sounds at different spots, that change position when you're swinging to the right or to the left.

I found it unusable.

It's just very slow and tedious to sort out the sounds, and to figure out where they're coming from.

Pinpointing is OK, because you're sweeping very slowly anyway.

- - -

Instead of Bluetooth, I could try an FM wireless radio setup, but the Omega doesn't like the RFI. The GTI seems OK with it.

Has anyone had success with Bluetooth?

Many thanks for ideas.

Joe

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a set or Rapoo Headphones that I got on E-bay for 30 bucks. They work great on the AT Pro but sound lousy on my Makro Racer 2. Maybe its because the Makro has a volume adjust where the AT Pro doesn't, I just don't know. Regardless of the sound issues on the Makro theres no lag with these.
I use these every time I go out with my AT Pro. For my Racer, I'm planning to get their dedicated wireless option.

JD1

Feb 26, 2015
North DFW
Detector(s) used
ATP, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
+1 on the Rapoo, will also mention that I used a KOSS inline volume controller. The AT Pro seemed to overdrive the volume without it....

There is a very little if any delay, NOT enough to make any difference in detecting or pinpointing. I tried a couple of others that would not work because of the delay.

JD

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions