Straight shaft options

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While not straight, I would do the Mars shaft.

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Rods by Plugger is another option.
One note: whatever replacement rod you obtain, especially the one that puts an Excalibur off the end, behind your elbow...make sure it will fit into you vehicle. Also will it fit into a suitcase if you plan to travel. Metal or Carbon Fiber? One point is you want to be sure there is NO movement between the shaft and arm cuff, a little electrical tape will eliminate any wear on the shaft if the cuff should slip. This goes for the OEM shafts also.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
It's quite easy to build your own straight shaft. Go buy a used aluminum cane or aluminum walker, and use your existing elbow cuff and lower rod. Go to a bicycle shop and purchase a pair of attachable hand-grips, and put it all together. Below is my straight rod for my Ace 150 "AQUA ACE" water proof detector.

a straight.jpg

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Straight shaft set ups are NOT for everyone. If there is any possible way, try someones before you make the expensive plunge and regret it. A flat swing in a full arch is harder and tends to butterfly up on the end sweep without effort.

Attachments

• IMG_20160215_115511_edit_edit.jpg
    IMG_20160215_115511_edit_edit.jpg
    406.7 KB · Views: 76

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Straight shaft set ups are NOT for everyone. If there is any possible way, try someones before you make the expensive plunge and regret it. A flat swing in a full arch is harder and tends to butterfly up on the end sweep without effort.

If you are prone to Lateral Epicondylitis (tennis elbow), you know how painful it can be. Running a straight shaft maintains a minimal bend and torsion of the elbow, and directs the swing of the machine to the shoulder. Using a straight rod to decrease wear on your elbow is highly recommended for Epicondylitis.

a tennis.jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are prone to Lateral Epicondylitis (tennis elbow), you know how painful it can be. Running a straight shaft maintains a minimal bend and torsion of the elbow, and directs the swing of the machine to the shoulder. Using a straight rod to decrease wear on your elbow is highly recommended for Epicondylitis.

View attachment 1415622

In my never humble opinion, this is nonsense. You're just messing up your shoulder to save your elbow. The straight shaft is NOT for everyone, certainly not for me. I went back to the "S" shaft after one season and never looked back. If it works for you - Great! :occasion14:

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
[QUOTE You're just messing up your shoulder to save your elbow. The straight shaft is NOT for everyone, certainly not for me. I went back to the "S" shaft after one season and never looked back. If it works for you - Great! :occasion14:[/QUOTE]

Your shoulder has many more muscles and much more muscle mass. You are only using your shoulder ( not messing or ruining it) to save your elbow. A very common sense approach. And true......straight rods are not for everyone. Another option is to give up metal detecting all together, which some have done. Definitely not an option for me. I work in an orthopedics ward, and see on a daily basis what worn out bones do to articulating joints.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread