AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a good way to end up with a broken detector to me.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Disassemble the lower and upper rods, remove the coil, and put it in your suitcase. Then surround it with clothes, towels, socks etc. for protection.

OP
OP
perry2

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you John for that but I am looking for an answer to the above question// I plan on doing as you say but would do other if I could at no cost--seems I cant get that answer//// Perry

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes.. i think they will.

You could consider carry on.. I don't think that would be a problem.

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
For several years I used a hard side golf bag case for detector and cloths. When they said it was oversize (see individual airlines for dimensions) and it would cost me $75 each way....I bought a travel scoop and a bigger volume suitcase for less than the $150 the trip was going to cost me. I've been saving ever since.
To answer your questions I have found there would be no additional fee IF it did NOT exceed there size regulation of:

We (American Airlines) calculate the size limits of your bag by adding the total outside dimensions of each bag, length + width + height.

For all regions, your checked baggage allowance is:

• Dimension: 62 in / 158 cm
  • Weight: 50 lbs / 23 kgs
  • For First / Business Class and Brazil, weight is 70 lbs / 32 kgs

Fees for over size range from $150 to 2$00 and for overweight from $100 to $450.

For more information see: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/baggage/checked-baggage-policy.jsp

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmm.... $25-30 bucks for an extra bag charge or buying a new detector-

That's a tough choice.

(I travel with mine in a hard bow case)

OP
OP
perry2

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks// glad to get some real answers/
I was hoping to not need my BIG bag and go with a smaller one// I'll put the ATP in the bag. gotta keep under the 50 lbs tho??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread