Searched For Old Pic-Nic Sites, Found Some Old Bones And Feasted On Some Cherry Jerky

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
db9_zpsqkwelqxi.jpg~original

Had a snow storm drop about 5 inches of that white stuff earlier this morning. Temp's about -22C / -7.6F, but the urge to go out was just overwhelming. I opted to bring my camera and search a new area for possible picnic sites for better days. I hiked around this area, and found some old trails, with some good potential, but not today.

db1_zpsl7zn3hxh.jpg~original

While walking along a river bank, I noticed a small white piece sticking out of the vertical river bank. Could this be a bone? The strata layers where I was exploring exposed old gravel beds and small coal seams, making it a great potential area to find some petrified wood or dino bones. I pulled this specimen out and could immediately see the matrix structure of bone. Yes! A keeper.

db2_zps06myhecb.jpg~original

Continuing along the river bank, I happened to look up under a partial-fallen pine tree. I looked up and .......wait a second, is that a bone I see up there? It would be buried under about 3 feet of overburden? I carefully climbed up the bank, touched the bone with a stick, and it wiggled a bit and fell.

db3_zpsljktedlb.jpg~original

I took it home, cleaned it up a bit and here it is! I nice brown color, (not white like newer bones) and upon flicking it with my finger, it gave a nice ping! It's very heavy, hard and the age is unknown. I will have to take it to the university for further identification later on this year.

db6_zpsauscqyco.jpg~original

Having built up a good appetite, I feasted on some of the best beef jerky that I have ever made. Below is the recipe. Try it, you'll like it!

db4_zpsigx4fycn.jpg~original

DB.jpg

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
John I know how you feel, Down here in Spokane Wa. I just gotta go out and try. We dodge the snow storms and chip away under the tree circles. Good Hunting

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
John I know how you feel, Down here in Spokane Wa. I just gotta go out and try. We dodge the snow storms and chip away under the tree circles. Good Hunting

Chipping out finds from under trees is just a way of life for some of us....... 9eebc33680774d1ba178bc641ace4813.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread