mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am not an expert by any means but it takes much less effort to swing the smaller 5 X 8 coil versus the larger 8.5 X 11 if you were to detect in the water. Not sure if your intentions are strictly on land or both water & land. So that is definitely one positive aspect for the smaller coil. The 5 X 8 is also a little better whenever detecting in an area where there is a lot of metal signals (trash). But the standard 8.5 X 11 coil is one heck of a coil. It works really well and can get a little more depth for you too. It never hurts to have both but it all depends on your detecting situation.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For trashy areas the 5x8 is amazing. For clear areas I use bigger Nel coils

detectorben

Feb 19, 2017
Nebraska
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For trashy areas the 5x8 is amazing. For clear areas I use bigger Nel coils
I am with you.. I like the 5 x 8 in trashy park but the depth does suffer a little. If I am in a fairly clean area or I know there is a lot of deep targets I use my Nel Storm. I have found some nice silver in hunted out park with 5 x 8 that I assume was missed by others due to trash masking target.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
It is probably one of the best coils to own for all Garrett metal detectors. It gets fantastic target separation abilities, decent depth and very sensitive to tiny conductive targets, including micro jewelry.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IMHO, The 5" x 8" DD coil has very good depth (in my soil), great target separation and hits hard on coins and relics (very strong signal lock during object detection).

ohiochris

May 6, 2009
Once you put on the 5x8 coil you may never want to take it off. It really is that good. Should have been the stock coil for the AT pro , with the larger one available as a depth upgrade , the majority of us hunt sites where the extra bit of depth possible with the larger coil is really not necessary. Pinpointing and target separation with the 5x8 is awesome , and target identification is more accurate with the 5x8 , not that the larger stock coil is bad but its not as good as the 5x8.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread