AT Pro Going (Bleeping) Crazy ! ! !

JccEldreth

Feb 8, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Pro Pointer II and I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my AT Pro, but in a couple of sections on a big yard I am currently hunting the detector will just start going off, reading all kinds of numbers in almost a steady beeping in different tones. There are no over head wires and I do not think there are any underground.
Any idea what would cause it? I can even hold it up in the air and it will continue to beep. There is a ton of trash metal around, but not that much. Some hot rocks around too, but still it should not be going crazy, I don't think.
All help appreciated.

diggininms

Nov 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have another coil you can swap? Rule out that its the coil?

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
JccEldreth

JccEldreth

Feb 8, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the 5"x 8" does it too, I think it is an environmental thing, It works perfectly everywhere else.

diggininms

Nov 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be a phone wire anything

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

L

l2hunt

that's happened a couple times to my ace 400, just going nuts! ultimately i shut it off change locations and it's perfectly fine, most likely environmental as mentioned, if i go back to the particular location again the machine acts up again, vdi and tones go crazy again, so who knows HH

collins6542

Feb 12, 2017
Des Moines, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett AT Gold, SunRay X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I love my AT Pro, but in a couple of sections on a big yard I am currently hunting the detector will just start going off, reading all kinds of numbers in almost a steady beeping in different tones. There are no over head wires and I do not think there are any underground.
Any idea what would cause it? I can even hold it up in the air and it will continue to beep. There is a ton of trash metal around, but not that much. Some hot rocks around too, but still it should not be going crazy, I don't think.
All help appreciated.

I had that same issue.. what I have read is that the ground covered with junk... drop the sensitivity down and you should be good!

Cosmo3

Feb 8, 2017
Chattanooga, Tn.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Hori-Hori Knife, Gerber Folding Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a certain park here in town that mine does the same thing. I have come to the same conclusion as JccEldreth mentioned. It is an environmental thing.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've also had this happen. Try changing to a different channel. Sounds like an electrical interference. Electric fences and underground dog fences mess with mine.

HH, RN

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
"but in a couple of sections"......you have an EMI issue. Try changing frequencies and or lowering sensitivity. I have a few places where I have to set the sensitivity down to 2 bars. Am I losing depth? Probably, but at least I can still hunt. This is a common problem for all makes and models of detectors.

Last edited:

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like others have said, turn your sensitivity down until the beeping stops.

Also, you could be in need of a battery change if you're only showing 1 bar.

boxxxer

Feb 25, 2015
ohio
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT pro, 8.5x11 and 5x8 and nel storm coil
Deus ws4 with 11 inch coil, hf coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My AT does the same thing I have found to drop sensitivity, thought depth would suffer but was still digging dimes at 5-6 inches. kept on digging..

OP
OP
JccEldreth

JccEldreth

Feb 8, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turning the sensitivity down a couple of clicks worked!
Thank you duds!

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While working a large parking lot this happened and nothing would stop it but moving away// come to find out a 3' corrugated pipe ran under that side of the lot//// Perry

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What I have found with my AT is if I have my cell phone in my pocket an phone starts searching for service, receives calll text etc. the detector goes nuts. I carry my phoine in my right front pocket, my detector control box is close by, I now leave the phone in the truck. Hope this helps, I was about to send mine back to Garrett and just happen to leave the phone in truck noticed no crazy detector, next day put phone in my pocket crazy detector again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JccEldreth

JccEldreth

Feb 8, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never crossed my mind, I keep it right there. Will try without it. Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread