AT Max

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I would like to see a comparison the max, the pro, and the gold. I haven't checked YouTube yet for that comparison. If no difference in performance and you already own one of the earlier models, then it makes more sense to just buy the z lynk adapter. I don't think you can go in the water with the wireless headphones on the max? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have owned around 30 machines and some of the "best you can buy".....I have sold most and am down to just a hand full of detectors that I "personally" found to suit me the best.....Two of those machines are the AT pro and the Gold. From what I have seen thus far, I am considering selling my two Garretts and buying one of these new AT MAX machines as soon as I can get my hands on one. Some people are blinded by brand loyalty, but I will tell you I have had great luck with the AT machines and believe this will be a winner. I was turned off by the MXT sport from the start and don't even see a comparison here. I think the MXT all pro is a great detector and the Sport was a step backward... Some people are going to pick at the new Garrett for its control box shape or the fact that it will probably be nose heavy like the previous Garretts.....come on! You cant have everything! I can pick things out about every machine I have owned from the Compadre to the GPX5000, they are not perfect in everyones eyes, but if YOU can make good finds swinging one than it is the "perfect" machine for you....

Zip Zip

Dec 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the max on order (to upgrade my wife's Ace 250) Plus I am ordering the 5X8 DD coil and cover, nut & bolt set, Lower Rod, This way, swapping coils is a snap. :)

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the max on order (to upgrade my wife's Ace 250) Plus I am ordering the 5X8 DD coil and cover, nut & bolt set, Lower Rod, This way, swapping coils is a snap. :)

She will probably seldom take that 5x8 off.....great coil.

stefs

Nov 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The biggest problem is noone know release date for this at max.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wont be long.....probably by the end of the month.

Zip Zip

Dec 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I saw a post from someone at kellyco, and mid to late June was mentioned. But it will get here when it gets here :)

DeepSea

Tenderfoot
May 31, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. Im new to the forum and new to this sport/hobby/lifestyle? :)

I'm interested in buying a detector for myself and possibly my teenage kids. As I compare a few I have some questions.

1) Frequency.... Or better yet does higher frequency equal better/ deeper identification? I noticed the AT pro is 15 kHz, the AT Gold is 18khz and now the new AT Max is 13.6khz. Im confused as that doesn't seem to be a step in the right direction for the "latest and greatest" model they are just releasing.

2) Sometimes I find my self ogling over new/ better gadgets/gizmos and features, however being brand new i'd like to be able to actually get out and not just use but also understand and not be frustrated, sometimes to start simple is better. At the same time i'm not really interested in buying one machine after another.

Thanks for your help and suggestions

kajunoutlaw

Jun 3, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 350 / F75 LTD2/ AT MAX/ Multi Kruzer/ Nox 800

Have used many detectors.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. Im new to the forum and new to this sport/hobby/lifestyle? :)

I'm interested in buying a detector for myself and possibly my teenage kids. As I compare a few I have some questions.

1) Frequency.... Or better yet does higher frequency equal better/ deeper identification? I noticed the AT pro is 15 kHz, the AT Gold is 18khz and now the new AT Max is 13.6khz. Im confused as that doesn't seem to be a step in the right direction for the "latest and greatest" model they are just releasing.

2) Sometimes I find my self ogling over new/ better gadgets/gizmos and features, however being brand new i'd like to be able to actually get out and not just use but also understand and not be frustrated, sometimes to start simple is better. At the same time i'm not really interested in buying one machine after another.

Thanks for your help and suggestions

In general the lower KHz will get better depth. The ATP and ATG are very good with identification. You won't go wrong with a Max if you're not looking to break the bank. Garrett makes a good solid machine and now with all the new features it should suit your needs for a while.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The higher kHz is better on smaller conductors like small jewelry and gold. That's why gold machines have higher kHz. Some machines are multi frequency in the sense that it allows you to choose which khz (frequency) to operate based on conditions and targets you are after. Since the AT Max is a single freq, Garrett felt that 13 would be the best compromise while squeaking out a tiny bit more depth. There's give and take associated with that as well, there might be instances where a higher frequency is more beneficial. Also don't confuse the ATM's ability to "shift" frequency to "changing" frequency. They are two different things. Shift frequency is simply small adjustments in freq to account for EMI. It is not a frequency change as in 13 kHz to 18 kHz.

Zip Zip

Dec 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
My dealer was told by a Garrett executive that August is the delivery month. Last week I got the latest Garrett catalog in the mail. Both the AT Max and the At Max international are listed in the catalog. :)

Zip Zip

Dec 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
The latest issue of the Gold Prospector magazine has a full page ad for the AT Max on the outside rear cover :)

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro

You are loaded for bear!:thumbsup:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking forward to really hearing about this machine in salt water. I know the at series is really good in iron.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread