Cashed in Some Coins

Gamma Joe

Jan 24, 2015
NE Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett GTI2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After detecting, everything gets cleaned. The vintage, silver and "collectible" coins get saved.

These are the leftovers.

2017_clad_01.jpg

Today they got cashed in, and dumped into the CoinMaster sorter. Total of $10.87 in cash, coming back.

They're about half and half from the Garrett GTI2500 and the Teknetics Omega 8000. Plenty enough for a banana split, cuppa coffee, and new batteries.

The CoinMaster rejected another 27 coins because they were too chewed up. Some are bent, others are cut.

Question: What do you do with coins like that?

Cheers,

Joe

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I keep mine in a mason jar. They are still collectibles since I took the time to dig um up.

davidharmier60

May 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roll them and take them to the bank. Or one or two rolls at a time to banks you don't normally go to if the coins are THAT bad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

CJayC

Jan 14, 2017
Auburn, WA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After detecting, everything gets cleaned. The vintage, silver and "collectible" coins get saved.

These are the leftovers.

View attachment 1448970

Today they got cashed in, and dumped into the CoinMaster sorter. Total of $10.87 in cash, coming back.

They're about half and half from the Garrett GTI2500 and the Teknetics Omega 8000. Plenty enough for a banana split, cuppa coffee, and new batteries.

The CoinMaster rejected another 27 coins because they were too chewed up. Some are bent, others are cut.

Question: What do you do with coins like that?

Cheers,

Joe

What's your preferred cleaning method?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
G

Gamma Joe

Jan 24, 2015
NE Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What's your preferred cleaning method?

For the Memorial cents and clad, I just use soap, water, and a brush with tough bristles. They get a good scrubbing. Also I have a tumbler and could use it for really taking the junk and corrosion off. The idea is just to clean them up and get them back in circulation so somebody can tell what kind of coin they have, to be able to spend it.

For the good collectible coins, I use some soaking in olive oil, followed by soap and water and more gentle brushing. For those coins, I just want to get the dirt off without damaging them.

davidharmier60

May 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have about 5 HORRIBLY corroded zincs. Soap and water you say?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i never thought about buying a banana split with my detecting finds....
Genius!

OP
OP
G

Gamma Joe

Jan 24, 2015
NE Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have about 5 HORRIBLY corroded zincs. Soap and water you say?

I saw in another forum that soaking pennies in a mix of vinegar and salt, can work (in a glass or plastic cup). Other folks said that will wipe out any date on the coin, so you wouldn't want to do it if it might be a good one.

davidharmier60

May 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are zinc. What could be good about them. As they are I can't even tell what date. Just that they are zinc...

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Nice! The only hobby that pays!:occasion14:

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tumble nickels, dimes quarters in salt and vinegar for 20 minutes they look new. So the same for pennies just by themselves. Rinse really well when done. Roll the coins other than pennies there good. Dump the pennies n a coin star

OP
OP
G

Gamma Joe

Jan 24, 2015
NE Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cashed in some more coins today into the CoinStar sorter. $1.92 in the pocket (after CoinStar kept its 10 percent).

They are about half and half from the Garrett GTI2500 and the Teknetics Omega 8000.

100_1139.JPG king_arthur.jpg

One thing I thought was a quarter, turned out to be a token for "King Arthur's Amusement Castle". I looked it up, and found that they used to be in Lawrenceville, New Jersey. It was found here in a park in Florida -- somebody had it in their pocket, from NJ to FL?

You never know what the next "beep" will bring, and you never stop learning new things. What a great hobby.

Cheers,

Joe

davidharmier60

May 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vinegar and salt gets them where I can read the date.
But it makes them a funky color so they go back into rolls.

foiled_again

Jan 29, 2013
DFW area, TX
Detector(s) used
CZ7a, Compadre (wader mod), Land Ranger Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coin star is a ripoff--10 percent??? You worked for those coins! NEVER!!! Coin star is for people too lazy to roll 'em!

I tumble my run of the mill clad to clean them a little, then take them to the bank.i used to have a bank that had coin machines in the lobby. No problem running coins in, you just act innocent when the machine inevitably jams. Sometimes they'll give you the odd foreign coins that fall out internally too. Oh, and one time I accidentally ran a silver dime in and it came out the reject tray...weight difference I guess.

My current bank has the coin machine behind the counter but they'll still take em if I ask. And anything that's not bent seems to be accepted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread