Silent Search vs. Threshold

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For many years, I've always had the background hum, When I first bought the AT Pro, it was silent search, at first, I thought I had a defective machine, for I cannot recall anything in the Ad's stating "Silent Search", found out later it was indeed a Silent Search type of machine. OK, I got to like it, but I also use a Mine Lab Safari, with of course back ground hum, of which I also like. It seems that the AT Max has a background hum, I do not know about the AT Gold. So, why the change? Background hum better for response? than Silent Search. I really would like to hear any thoughts on this. I'm not to crazy about the Pro Audio (Deeper the target, softer the sound) but you work with it. I know I could go into standard mode, but the constant "Bell Tone" makes me nuts. The AT Max MAY be a repeat of the Pro, to early to tell yet. Any advantage to Silent Search or not that you can think of.

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also own a ctx- having a constant tone can alert you to a deep item. The noise will stop for a second - the machine knows there is something there without having enough info to make an indication of what it may be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
When you use the threshold properly, you are listening for any slight change in audio, indicating a possible DEEP target.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also own a ctx- having a constant tone can alert you to a deep item. The noise will stop for a second - the machine knows there is something there without having enough info to make an indication of what it may be.

When a minelab or most machines stop the hum for a second it is called "nulling out" and usually indicates iron.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's really just a matter of preference. With a VLF, or PI machine, the threshold going quiet, or diminishing, usually does mean a deep target. Most of the time you would not hear it in Silent Search mode however. :skullflag:

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When a minelab or most machines stop the hum for a second it is called "nulling out" and usually indicates iron.

Reread what I wrote. A deep signal that the machine doesn't have enough info to decide what type of metal, won't give a target number - but can and will still disrupt the hum- and not be iron.

If you think all 'nulling' is iron, you are leaving finds behind.

OP
OP
S

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fully understand what you fella's are saying. I guess my thought was that the AT Pro is silent, where the new AT Max has threshold hum. Is it because the background hum is a Better? way to go? Is that why the change? It could just be a matter of what any one person likes. Might it be that it takes a stronger signal response to break through the "Silent" search, whereas the "Hum" might respond better for faint targets. I don't even know if there are other machines that have a Silent search to them. It's not a big concern really, every detector is different. Just wondered why that what is basically the same machine would be different in this matter. Has Garrett found that one is better over the other? I hunt most often by sound, I do look at the VDI numbers, but as a reference only. As far as the minelab's, that "Flute" like sound it has I at first did not like, then one day it clicked, and I do well with it. I do understand the nulling with the minelab all to well. So, I like the AT, silent is OK, Just wonder WHY the change. Wonder what Garrett would have to say.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions