Garrett Z-Lynk Charging Question(s)

Robotics

Feb 20, 2016
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just recieved the Z Lynk, took it out of the box and started charging the transmitter and receiver. Directions say should take up to 5 hours to fully charge and red light will go out when charge is complete.
Well after a little over 5 hours the receiver's red light went out (guess it was fully charged). But the transmitter is still charging after just 7 hours (red light still on).
I unplugged it thinking it may be over charging and defected.
The unit works fine when in use. I only used it for about an hour of testing so far.

My question(s)...if you own one of these units could you please respond and let me know how long it takes for you to charge your units up?
Does or did it take more than 7 hours to charge the transmitter?
Did it take a lot longer to charge the transmitter when you first took it out of the box when you first got the device?

KellyCo says I have 10 days to test this unit. Batteries last 30 hours...but I am only able to get out on weekends, and no way will be able to delete the batteries and do a recharge in 10 days.

Thanks for any and all responses. I need to get to the bottom of this. Over 7 hours to charge a battery (and it still wasn't charged according to the red light) is crazy.
And I am starting to think could possible be defected.

:BangHead:

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd leave it on the charger until the light goes out. My trans and rec, both required about the same time, but batteries vary. If the light doesn't go out after charging overnight, I would assume there is something wrong with it, and contact Garrett.
Jim

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
If that red light does not go out, the unit might be defective. I would ask Kellyco for a replacement.

Andy Nunez

Nov 19, 2015
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 or Garrett Ace 400 with a Cors Cannon coil and Z-lynk, Predator Piranha shovel, White's TRX pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got the Z-Lynk for my birthday Friday. I plugged one into a phone charger and the other to my computer and they both took close to 5 hours to charge. I took them out and they worked as advertised. I only hunted about 4-5 hours with them. I loved not having to worry about snags or my headphones being pulled if my detector turns over after I put it down. I do recommend using headphones with their own volume control. I have the standard Garrett headphones that came with my 400 and they worked fine.

OP
OP
Robotics

Robotics

Feb 20, 2016
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I would keep all updated. Ends up the transmitter completely died at roughly 3 1/2 hours of use. Would not accept a charge after that, and never came back on. Unit is in the process of being returned for a replacement.
I can only hope the next one works without any bugs. Probably wont get the new one for another 2 weeks. They wont send a new one out until the original one is back in their hands.

Thanks for the responses.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Knock on wood....
No problems with mine, now that I got the ms2 headphones.
I got about 25 hrs or so after my first charge, about 5 hrs to recharge....
I had no idea how liberating it is to not be tethered to my machine.

Coach Stack

Apr 5, 2016
Colorado Springs, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
AT Pro Pointer
Kelllyco Vulcan 360
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you dealing with KellyCo or Garrett directly? It is faster going straight to Garrett. Now That I have said that. I am as of today returning my 3rd WT-1 (transmitter) for a 4th. In other words the replacement for my replacement is now being replaced. Garrett has be nothing but professional when it comes to customer service. But maybe the warehouse folks should test the units they are sending out since the latest one I received wouldn't even turn on after a full charge.

Coach Stack

Apr 5, 2016
Colorado Springs, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
AT Pro Pointer
Kelllyco Vulcan 360
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update..........I must have the worse luck on the planet. I am now returning my 5th transmitter to Garrett. I have started to document everything I do with the Z-lynk (note only the transmitter is malfunctioning) I might get a 2-3 hour hunt in and by the next time I use the it the transmitter is dead. I try to charge it, the red light is on for 4-5 hrs and turns off "fully charged" but it will not turn on. This is the same thing that has happened with all of them (not really the 4th one didn't ever work). In between hunts I keep it in the Garrett case that it came with, I have only used the charging cord it came with I charge it on the exact same USB port on the same computer I charge the receiver.

I hope no one has this problem.

On the bright side(?) I honestly have never dealt with a customer service department that is as good as Garrett's. I mean they are truly unbelievably responsive. Huge shout out to Hilda Bardales!!! the rep I have been dealing with. (I'm sure at this point she thinks I'm a complete idiot out to get her)

So, has anyone had this many issues with their Z-Link?

OP
OP
Robotics

Robotics

Feb 20, 2016
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First...knock on wood, I have not had this many issues. They finally sent me a replacement and so far (crosses fingers), it works as advertised with no hick-ups. I have had many people off of YouTube tell me or just mention the problems they have been having. And there is a lot of folks having problems with the transmitter not accepting a charge, claims its charged yet dies after a few hours, etc.
I will add Garrett is very good with their customer support, BUT with so many issues with this system, you would think they would look into it and quit sending out replacements that are defected. This I don't understand. Makes me wonder what the Z-Lynk system built in to the AT Max is going to be like.
I hope they get it straighten out. There are quite a few others out there having many issues with this system. Wonder if they stuck some cheap/defected batteries from Japan in the transmitters.
Hope you eventually get a good unit. It's a great unit when it works properly.

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My transmitter died this weekend. It has worked very well and then just quit right in the middle of a hunt. I will be calling Garrett this morning.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
This thread is good enough reason for Garrett to offer the new AT Max without all the wireless crap.

Big Wave Dave, I'd rather be tethered to my machine when using it rather than having to tether the machine to an outlet when not in use and hope it works when I need it to.

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this thread just shows to wait a bit. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. I got one of the first Z-lynk units when they came out. Now the transmitter failed. I'll get it replaced and continue to enjoy wireless.

Dan

skelly

Greenie
Mar 2, 2013
Perry, Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just got my 2nd replacement transmitter today. The first two lasted about 10 days each. Both suddenly quit while I was using them, then appeared to recharge but wouldn't turn on. I love it when it works but this is getting ridiculous. I'm hoping that the third time will be a charm.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread