Wow! Can She Ever Make That AT MAX Work Hard! Check It Out...........................

Andy Nunez

Nov 19, 2015
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 or Garrett Ace 400 with a Cors Cannon coil and Z-lynk, Predator Piranha shovel, White's TRX pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tend to agree on the sponsored videos, but I have been out with the Hoover Boys twice and they find what they say they find. On Dream Hunt I was within 20 feet of Kurt when he got a 2 reale and 2 trimes. I myself got a Hibernia and a 20th century Eagle button, and another non-Hoover Boy got a Large cent and a silver quarter, so while the Boys got the best, it's because they had the best equipment, big coils, etc, but we dug lots and lots of trash from 9 AM to 6pm. I was also with them on episode 112 which also included the Relic Recoverist and they got good stuff, but again, we went from 9AM to 6pm, after dark on a rainy day. All I can say is what I saw and you are seeing 30 minutes of a 9 hour day. They work hard to get what they get and I went home exhausted both times. :)

Capt.Betances

Mar 27, 2012
Franklin, NJ (for now)
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATMAX, Garrett GTI 2500, Sea Hunter Mark II, Garrett ACE 400, Minelab X-Terra, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, Eagle Eye, LRL, Audio generator app Tone, home-made dowsing L-rod,
A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reading some comments here, I would say the success no necessarily depends of the equipment you buy, but the interpretation you give. Basically, all detector works under the same basic principles. Just some of them has different features. I'm member of a good club where member are "following" those youtube video where find a lots of coins. These members are buying the same detectors, pinpointer and other equipment that those hunters in youtube show and use. However, when they go outing, they don't find anything good, maybe some cents. They feel frustrated. Also, the another club where I was member, hunters never use to find so many silver coins a month; I'm talking about of expertise hunters.

What can be? Like somebody here wrote; "Mystery" or it is the place where you go to hunt that nobody has been before or you're lucky enough to get permission in a place with history. God knows!

I got my Facebook and youtube account with my little fan and I never-ever promote my detector on those videos, unless somebody ask me to do it just as tutorial. Why? because Garrett never will pay me for promote theirs products.

My opinion. Thanks

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all location based off research or based off what it produced in the past, and Garrett secured it for this promotional shoot. Any one of you would have found keepers if you were hunting with them. The real question is how many of these finds were attributed to the improvements on the AT Max. From what I have seen all of them would have been hit with an ATPro as long as it was under the coil.

Show me some depth that is beyond an ATPro, show me the separation capabilities that are beyond the capabilities of the ATPro, show me some real salt water demonstrations.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are so demanding, Jadocs. Lol.

kajunoutlaw

Jun 3, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 350 / F75 LTD2/ AT MAX/ Multi Kruzer/ Nox 800

Have used many detectors.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my personal opinion, I don't trust at all on those video hunting who produce those young guys, even they state to find gold or silver. I don't doubt about the effectiveness of Garrett detector because I have two Garrett (GTI 2500 and Sea Hunter), but the find that they find and show on Youtube. We have to separate between marketing or promotion and reality. Unless, you're detecting on a virgin ground where nobody in this life has wiped a coil over the ground, at this date, it will be hard to find gold or silver on these time 2017 where exist thousand of hunters detecting in everywhere.

We have to ask the next question; What they looking for, coins or promote a brand and get fame?

Well they went knocking on doors to hunt on virgin ground. You can do the same if you want to hunt on virgin ground.

There are a couple of guys in my club who get 15-20 silvers a month. They too knock on doors.

ohiochris

May 6, 2009
We wont know the full scoop on the max until it gets in the hands of the average joe and he ( or she ) does some honest reviews and comparison. All in all its probably going to be a good machine , one that makes the AT pro obsolete once sales really kick in and everyone wonders why buy a pro when for just a little more they can have the extra gadgets of the max. The max is what the pro " should have been " in the first place. But I highly doubt at this point that the max is a smart upgrade from the pro.... those who already have the pro and like it may just as well keep the pro and when it comes time to upgrade there are better true upgrades out there than the max.

I tend to think the reason we haven't yet seen side to side comparisons between the pro and max is because in 99% of actual hunts , one does not necessarily outperform the other head to head in a way that would come through in a video. Having extra controls are great , if it can be demonstrated how those controls really do give an advantage......seems like that would have been a priority if there was a noticeable difference.

It has the appearance , that those looking to buy a pro.....should buy the max instead , but anybody looking for a true upgrade from the pro in performance and potential , might want to look into what another manufacturer has to offer. Just stating what should be obvious by now to anyone who knows detectors.

I could be wrong , we should find out in the coming months. My curiosity is just starving for something more significant than vague Garrett commercial videos showing somebody holding a coin. I am kind of reminded of the old Whites tv commercial where the guy said he got a whites detector and was finding the good stuff on ....." the first day ". LOL

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am kind of reminded of the old Whites tv commercial where the guy said he got a whites detector and was finding the good stuff on ....." the first day ". LOL

That is actually why I got started more than a decade ago. I bought a whites XLT and still have it. But, getting old now and that XLT with a bigfoot is getting pretty heavy. I looked at new whites machines and they all seem to have that same clunky body style which means extra weight on my tendonitis elbow pain. There is one youtube guy that uses the PRO a lot so I looked into it and it is only 3 lbs.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bump, because I'm bored, and feel like sharing a quick history lesson.

Relic Recoverist can dig for 10+ hours, harder than most men I know, and the smallest sliver of history dug receives the same excitement as any item that she decides to film. She receives rotten emails and PMs every single week, but she doesn't let that thwart her. I don't know what it is about the chemical make-up of many veteran diggers, but so many of them should just loosen up, or not get on YouTube to watch metal detecting videos if they don't have anything good to say. Don't step on people because you don't believe they are qualified. I've seen some nasty personal attacks. Not pointing a finger in this thread, just sharing some general intel.

The Hoover Boys metal detect because they are driven and passionate THers; not a single find sold; hundreds of items donated; many young people influenced. The YouTube channel was created January 2015 with much inspiration and influence from the Stealth Diggers up north who are a very fun and truly authentic blend of diggers. The Hoover Boys post videos to share finds, excitement and passion. They had and continue to have zero expectations, from any one, or any corporation. With great camaraderie, quality finds, a solid production, and a growing subscriber base, many dealers, manufacturers and talent agencies have approached them in an effort to cross-promote and collaborate. Marketing/business 101. The Hoover Boys accept many opportunities to test new equipment and cross-market, but all five of these guys dig because they love getting dirty, not because it pays the bills. They have 60+ years digging experience between them, and learn more about the hobby and the history they find every time they go out. They work hard for their permissions and also receive very generous invites, but they are serious about following the rules and ethics of the hobby.

I have no idea what I am trying to accomplish here, other than slack off at work on a Friday maybe...

Cheers!!

Buddy_TX

Greenie
May 25, 2017
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
CZ 21
AT Pro
AT MAX
Whites TR Amphibian
Tesoro Stringray
Detector Pro Wader
Detector Pro Priate
Tesoro Silver Saber
Garret S1, S2, S3 (TR machines )
Fisher 1280x
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
There is a video on Utube that indeed tests all 3 units on targets in the ground. Pro vs Gold vs Max i thought was a very good video,
I have played with a Max and the things the guy said were right on target with what I learned playing with the Max for about 4 hours.

Now I am not a pro but I have hunted a few time times, almost twice a week for the past 46 years and MOST of the videos are done to SELL you a new unit....once in a while you see one that is real, a honest test of a machine. The one Pro vs Gold vs Max seems to be one of those. Dont know the guy at all but with what I learned with the Max and he said matched a lot. JMHO

Buddy_TX

Last edited:

ohiochris

May 6, 2009
Bump, because I'm bored, and feel like sharing a quick history lesson.

Relic Recoverist can dig for 10+ hours, harder than most men I know, and the smallest sliver of history dug receives the same excitement as any item that she decides to film. She receives rotten emails and PMs every single week, but she doesn't let that thwart her. I don't know what it is about the chemical make-up of many veteran diggers, but so many of them should just loosen up, or not get on YouTube to watch metal detecting videos if they don't have anything good to say. Don't step on people because you don't believe they are qualified. I've seen some nasty personal attacks. Not pointing a finger in this thread, just sharing some general intel.

The Hoover Boys metal detect because they are driven and passionate THers; not a single find sold; hundreds of items donated; many young people influenced. The YouTube channel was created January 2015 with much inspiration and influence from the Stealth Diggers up north who are a very fun and truly authentic blend of diggers. The Hoover Boys post videos to share finds, excitement and passion. They had and continue to have zero expectations, from any one, or any corporation. With great camaraderie, quality finds, a solid production, and a growing subscriber base, many dealers, manufacturers and talent agencies have approached them in an effort to cross-promote and collaborate. Marketing/business 101. The Hoover Boys accept many opportunities to test new equipment and cross-market, but all five of these guys dig because they love getting dirty, not because it pays the bills. They have 60+ years digging experience between them, and learn more about the hobby and the history they find every time they go out. They work hard for their permissions and also receive very generous invites, but they are serious about following the rules and ethics of the hobby.

I have no idea what I am trying to accomplish here, other than slack off at work on a Friday maybe...

Cheers!!

What gets on peoples nerves , especially those of us who have been at this a very long time , is that these qualified treasure hunters cheese it up for the camera and act more like salesmen than people who just enjoy the hunt. It comes across as not being genuine , seems fake.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What gets on peoples nerves , especially those of us who have been at this a very long time , is that these qualified treasure hunters cheese it up for the camera and act more like salesmen than people who just enjoy the hunt. It comes across as not being genuine , seems fake.
Maybe they are getting paid to do a job? I am sure some detectorists are salesmen/women? Whats wrong with getting paid to do what you love?

ohiochris

May 6, 2009
Maybe they are getting paid to do a job? I am sure some detectorists are salesmen/women? Whats wrong with getting paid to do what you love?

Well then you cant say its a true and unbiased portrayal of people out detecting now can you ?....or the real personalities vs. onscreen. .....which is the whole point. LOL In the defense of these videos you guys seem to be saying the people really are that goofy or tacky in real life.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We wont know the full scoop on the max until it gets in the hands of the average joe and he ( or she ) does some honest reviews and comparison. All in all its probably going to be a good machine , one that makes the AT pro obsolete once sales really kick in and everyone wonders why buy a pro when for just a little more they can have the extra gadgets of the max. The max is what the pro " should have been " in the first place. But I highly doubt at this point that the max is a smart upgrade from the pro.... those who already have the pro and like it may just as well keep the pro and when it comes time to upgrade there are better true upgrades out there than the max.

I tend to think the reason we haven't yet seen side to side comparisons between the pro and max is because in 99% of actual hunts , one does not necessarily outperform the other head to head in a way that would come through in a video. Having extra controls are great , if it can be demonstrated how those controls really do give an advantage......seems like that would have been a priority if there was a noticeable difference.

It has the appearance , that those looking to buy a pro.....should buy the max instead , but anybody looking for a true upgrade from the pro in performance and potential , might want to look into what another manufacturer has to offer. Just stating what should be obvious by now to anyone who knows detectors.

I could be wrong , we should find out in the coming months. My curiosity is just starving for something more significant than vague Garrett commercial videos showing somebody holding a coin. I am kind of reminded of the old Whites tv commercial where the guy said he got a whites detector and was finding the good stuff on ....." the first day ". LOL
The Garrett video says the AT Max is designed for saltwater...their video on the AT pro said that while it was not designed for saltwater, it could be used...time will tell....Im not buying one until I get lots of feedback from users.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread