Dunk or don't dunk. That is the question

Hammer287

Mar 28, 2017
Northwest Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So here's my dilemma. Two months ago I purchased an ATP. I chose that detector for a variety of reasons including that it is submersible down to 10 feet. My concern is the connections For the headphones and the coil. For anyone that has an a T Pro you know how difficult it is to seat and screw down the connector for these two inputs. I really am concerned about submerging the unit underwater. No issues with the coil in shallow water but I don't know if I want to risk ruining the machine because of water getting into the unit. When I plug the connectors in I see that the gasket is fully seated and then screw down the locking screws but it seems every time I check I can get them a little tighter and sometimes they just seem totally loose. Any suggestions on a sure fire way to make sure that water won't get in? now that the fields are overgrown it's beach hunting time and I really don't want to miss out. Thanks all

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_moved_over.gif

..: Moved from General Discussion over to Brands > Garrett for more exposure :..​

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since you just bought it and it is submersible, just go for it. Check the nuts from time to time while your swinging underwater if your concerned.Personally I never worried about it. Then if you ever have a problem with it you will be comforted to know that Garrett's customer support is outstanding and the turn around time for replacement or repair is about a week.

OP
OP
H

Hammer287

Mar 28, 2017
Northwest Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I probably will eventually. Like many have said, I wish they had made a little more clearance in the unit. From what I understand the ATmax still has the same issues. Thanks again for your response

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say go for it. Keep your o-rings lubricated and since the connector can be a little difficult to tighten with your fingers esp if they are larger, I use a pair of needle nose pliers to get that end snug. Just don't go overboard.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
I say go for it. Keep your o-rings lubricated and since the connector can be a little difficult to tighten with your fingers esp if they are larger, I use a pair of needle nose pliers to get that end snug. Just don't go overboard.

Keeping your detector in tip top shape (lubricating "O" rings) and tight connections should work well for you. Great advice

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
There is a grease available at auto parts stores for electrical connections. Dielectric grease. I use it on my trailer plugs to prevent corrosion.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use silicone grease, got it at a dive shop, but can be found pretty much any hardware store.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread