Apr 21, 2017
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I notice that occasionally my Garrett Ace 400 will chatter like crazy when I'm not even swinging the coil. Normally its when I'm near power lines. The machine seems extremely sensitive to EMI. I did learn about doing a factory reset every time I change or unplug the coil. That does seem to help. I was just wondering if anyone else experienced this with their 400? I will say its a coin finding machine 99% of the time.

Mo Diggins

May 24, 2017
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
His Garrett AT Pro and Tesoro Mojave,
Her Garrett ACE 300 with 5" x 8" DD coil,
and two Garrett Pro-Pointer ATs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a 300, not 400, but have you used the Frequency Adjust in those cases? I find it helps.

Andy Nunez

Nov 19, 2015
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 or Garrett Ace 400 with a Cors Cannon coil and Z-lynk, Predator Piranha shovel, White's TRX pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I have that same issue and really, a lot of Garrett detectors do. There is another thread where a fellow has an issue with his Pro. Invisible dog fences will drive you nuts, also. In the case of power lines, the chatter is not always constant, depending on the amount of electricity going through the lines. Turning down your sensitivity usually helps. With invisible dog fences, though, you have to crank it down so much you probably wouldn't hear anything deeper than a couple of inches. Changing frequencies sometimes helps, but the dog fence bleeds through every frequency I tried. I even yanked out a White's Prizm IV and A Fisher 1265-X and the fence bothered them also. Power lines, though, if they aren't too major can usually be defeated by turning the sensitivity down by about half. Also, turning your back to the line sometimes helps as well. I love my 400 but it doesn't love power lines.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you know someone has a 8KHz machine verify EMI over your 10KHz 400i I would like to here the difference.:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread