May 24, 2017
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
His Garrett AT Pro and Tesoro Mojave,
Her Garrett ACE 300 with 5" x 8" DD coil,
and two Garrett Pro-Pointer ATs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My AT Pro arrived Tuesday, along with a coil cover, carry bag, Pro-Pointer AT, Edge Digger, and camo Digger’s Pouch. Also coming are the blue submersible headphones for kayak use. I promptly donned my AT Pro ball cap, selected Pro Zero, and set about finding all the trash in my yard, LOL.

Yesterday, an ACE 300 arrived for my wife. We added a little 5” x 8” Double D coil/cover to its included 7” x 10” concentric. With arthritis, she’s unable to grip a hand digger strongly, so we got her a Sampson shovel instead. She got her own Pro-Pointer AT, carry bag and Digger’s Pouch, and her “Spring” package also included a really nice Garrett camo day pack–with a pocket to keep her unused coil.

I’m really impressed with the new ACE 300, particularly its ease of use. The VDI numbers are large and easy to see, and its Frequency Adjust came in handy next to our house. The “Jewelry” mode, just below “Zero-Disc” at the top, only notches out iron at 32 and lower, i.e. the low tone range. “Relic” mode does the same at about 16 and below. As with my ATP, “Coins” mode notches out too much gold to be generally useful. She’ll likely prefer the little 5x8 DD coil and operate mostly in Jewelry, with a tap on Mode + to hear iron audio in Zero-Disc.

So we're set to get out and hunt as soon as some permission requests are approved.

kajunoutlaw

Jun 3, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 350 / F75 LTD2/ AT MAX/ Multi Kruzer/ Nox 800

Have used many detectors.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing like getting a new detector in the mail and putting it together. Congrats for both you and your wife. Good luck and Happy hunting.

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Y'all will love your new detectors. Good luck in finding those relics. :icon_thumright:

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice move for your wife here getting her the extra 5x8 DD coil especially for the 300i that will complement the 7x10 very well I feel. I am hoping to get one to add to my setup here eventually. No need to worry if you didn't do the right thing by going 400i the 300i with the coils you have is the way to go here. Good decision.

OP
OP
Mo Diggins

Mo Diggins

May 24, 2017
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
His Garrett AT Pro and Tesoro Mojave,
Her Garrett ACE 300 with 5" x 8" DD coil,
and two Garrett Pro-Pointer ATs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, guys! What eliminated the 400 for her (weight matters) was that for the higher price it comes with the same heavier 8.5 x 11 DD coil as my AT Pro — the coil many ATP owners rarely if ever use after replacing it with the 5 x 8. Without the Pro mode’s low-high-low audio clue, I think she can use a good concentric to deal with bottle caps at recreational sites. The ACE 300’s 7 x 10 looked to me like a good concentric size to pair with a 5 x 8 DD. FWIW, I'll only be using the 8.5" x 11" DD on my AT Pro, at least for awhile. Getting her into the hobby was more important to me than an AT Max or more coils for me.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread