AT Max vs AT Pro

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
AT Gold: 18 kHz AT Pro: 15 kHz AT Max: 13.6 kHz

The AT MAX has a lower operating frequency then the the AT Gold and AT Pro. As a general rule, higher frequencies will be more sensitive to smaller targets like small gold nuggets, hence you have the higher frequency on the AT Gold. The downside is, you lose a little depth. So.......you gain something and lose something. The AT MAX has the lowest operating frequency of the group, so.......those tiny nuggets you are searching for may not be as sensitive as the AT Gold, however, what you gain is more depth on coin sized objects. Again, you gain something and lose something. And, there have been some hints on some videos about enhanced tweaks to the electronic brains of the machine.

And.......depth is always relative to soil conditions, coil type/size, swing speed and how the machine is set up by the user. Also, some users will dig those quiet whisper of a target, others won't. Given that the AT Max also has an adjustable threshold, those who utilize this feature will get additional depth too.

Looking at the overall picture of the AT Max, it appears it was designed to get the most depth for coins, relics etc. If you want extra depth or extra sensitivity, you have an additional variety of coils available to help you excel in those areas.

atmaxtattoo.jpg

OP
OP
JWT70

JWT70

May 26, 2012
Have you ever tried the Concentric coil? I had a Tejon with a Concentric coil that was at least an inch deeper than my AT Pro.

Sent from my SM-T810 using TreasureNet.com mobile app

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Have you ever tried the Concentric coil? I had a Tejon with a Concentric coil that was at least an inch deeper than my AT Pro.

Sent from my SM-T810 using TreasureNet.com mobile app

That's all I use on the AT Pro....the 9" x 12" concentric coil. It has much more accuracy with regards to target ID on coin sized objects. I also prefer pinpointing off the inner coil. Much faster and accurate and depending on how fast the audio stops, gives you an idea as to how deep the target is.

Mo Diggins

May 24, 2017
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
His Garrett AT Pro and Tesoro Mojave,
Her Garrett ACE 300 with 5" x 8" DD coil,
and two Garrett Pro-Pointer ATs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is OT for the OP's subject post, but since the thread has turned a bit to concentrics:

A Coil Comparison With The 8.5" x 11" DD Against The 9" x 12" Concentric Coil : John-Edmonton

John is in a low mineralization area, and the DD should do better than shown there vs the concentric in high mineralization. The difference is not so much in depth. That's why I prioritize getting smaller coils for trashy areas over getting the 9" x 12" Concentric. The below shows the sacrifice in depth with the smaller coils.

Heres The Differences Between The 5" x 8" DD Coil And The 4.5" Sniper Coil : John-Edmonton

These cover probably the four most used coils for the AT Pro/Gold.

Let me add that John has been a treasure trove of knowledge and experience for this detector noob. Many thanks!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread