Mar 29, 2017
Northern NY, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800,
HF 9-Function md,
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to the hobby!!!!! I'm currently using a Harbor Freight, $29 metal detector that my kids bought me this past Christmas. It works, but definitely not a good machine as it has hard to control discrimination, no target display, and only a single tone. So, basically I dig everything that rings and for some reason come up empty handed 3/4 of the time.
I recently joined a local MD club, and one of the members who has 3 or 4 machines is offering me a AT Pro for $250 (he has 2 of them, and wants to sell one and use the funds to buy an AT Max ). I've never used any machine other than the Harbor Freight, and have no idea what to look for or check to make sure the machine is in good shape and functioning properly. Any thoughts on what to look for, or typical points of failure to check. Are there older AT Pro versions that might be missing features, that I should avoid? As you can probably guess, I'm clueless...and any thoughts would be appreciated!

ewtaylor

Mar 20, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great machine and a great price. you won't be disappointed. But keep in mind, it takes lots of practice and patience, as with any machine.

CJayC

Jan 14, 2017
Auburn, WA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it's in working order, that's a fantastic deal.

- Inspect the cam locks (and the coil) for stress cracks and wear and tear.
- Examine the O-ring on the battery compartment plug; make sure it's still makes a full seal
- Look at the screen for any cracks or signs on water seepage
- Are the coil and headphone connection ports still secure?
- Does the coil have cover, and does it still fit securely? Does it have any cracks?
- Examine the coil cable for any rot or cracks
- Is the control box still securely attached to the shaft? These have been known to break at the connection points.

And that's just a basic checklist for the physical aspects. You still need to get into the internal workings. Unfortunately, the best way to test that is with actual use. Ask the guy if he's willing to accept a return should anything pop up that would be detectable (pardon the pun) upon initial inspection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure its the one that has the cam locks the first versions didnt have them and I would avoid those. Thats a good price for a at pro.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic price, if it turns on and detects targets, for that price don't pass it up.

CjayC gave you good advice, but for $100 + under the going used rate, I'd buy it if beeps!

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread