How is your AT Max?

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By now, I would assume that the first wave of people are getting their AT Max. Anyone here on that list, and what are your thoughts so far? I had a Deus and AT Pro, but decided to hang it up this spring, but of course the bug never left, so I'm jumping back in. Rather than go crazy expensive, I decided the AT Max would be great, since I loved the Pro. All metal, more depth and wireless cans with minimal lag, sounds like a win.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beginning to believe that the only thing that the guys who pre ordered the Max are going to have is a picture of one.

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would like to purchase the AT-Max to go alone with my Pro, but the way things are going at Garrett and the release of the Max keeps moving out makes me wonder if they have not shot themselves in the foot on this one. A lot of hype and not much to show for it, the videos I have seen of the field testers is at a point of making me wonder if most of these are planted hunts! For now I'm going to sit back and be comfortable until there are real reviews of regular folks using the max, do not care to shell out $700 plus dollars to send the unit back to Garrett and wait for repair or replacement as soon as I get the unit and use maybe once. Just an old man's 2 cents worth.

One other thing I do not know if the coils I have will even work on the Max especially the Storm already heard one tester say the Storm work one day and then would not work again (from the Hoover Boys).

Last edited:

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wondered the same thing about the Nokta impact. A lot of hype.... and some positive reviews... but not the be all end all detector that it was supposed to be. I also await the AT max reviews but it seems a long time coming. Anyway, Im pleased with my current two detectors, so glad I didnt get caught up in the hype. I do think its unfair though to those who pre ordered.

Chub

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does this/Hopefully mean the price of the Pro will go down exponentially? Find out next week if Batman will get the sale price of his life!

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am with you fella's on this one, I thought that by now some would have them and have some comments about them, at present I am losing interest in the MAX, Hal2k may be right, did Garrett shoot themselves in the foot on this? Starting to seem like a "oak island" thing.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does this/Hopefully mean the price of the Pro will go down exponentially? Find out next week if Batman will get the sale price of his life!

The price of the AT Pro was reduced after the announcement of the AT Max. I don't forsee any other decreases in price, except on the used side.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have completed shipping our preorders and are working down our wait list and layaways. We should have extras on the shelf shortly. I think you should start seeing user videos by the weekend. Consider that UPS and Fedex have had major delays in Texas and Florida due to recent storms, that has slowed some of the shipping across the country.

I can tell you I've received three deliveries, but those are small quantities and don't represent even half of my initial order. They are currently going out daily from the factory.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm waiting on mine still. No rush for me when I get it I get it and I love my ATP so I'm sure I'll love my Max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zip Zip

Dec 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
My pair are in the mail from Kansas City MO. It shouldn't take that long. Hopefully this Saturday :) I also ordered one 5X8DD, one 4.5 sniper, Two lower rods, bolts/nuts, and skid plates :) ( arrived Friday :) )

Last edited:

LrdSummerisle

Greenie
Jul 6, 2016
California
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro, Pro-Pointer AT, Whites Coinmaster Classic II, Nel coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Hal,

Regarding our Nel coils being able to work with the MAX: Someone pointed out that Nel tunes their coils to work with the specific unit
(that's why you had to make sure you ordered the Pro or Gold coils)...so since the Pro runs at 15hz, the Nel coils won't work properly with the Max's 13hz.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Hal,

Regarding our Nel coils being able to work with the MAX: Someone pointed out that Nel tunes their coils to work with the specific unit
(that's why you had to make sure you ordered the Pro or Gold coils)...so since the Pro runs at 15hz, the Nel coils won't work properly with the Max's 13hz.

I ordered the Thunder with mine

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Hal,

Thank you for the information on the Nell Coil. Have been thinking of ordering the Garrett 9 X 12 coil, but for now think I will stick with the 5 x 8, stock, and the Nell Storm. Do plan on getting the Max in the next couple months, I take it that the 5 x 8 will work with the Max and the 9 x 12 will also work with the Max. Have really enjoyed using the 5 x 8 on the AT Pro.

Hal

Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All these new machines coming out....what does a man do? I like the Impact and believe it is a great performer, but over priced since it does not come with multi frequency and lacks waterproofing. Also costs an additional $120 for wireless headphones and already seen the jack plug in break on one unit. For me, the Equinox will be a no brainer unless it proves to have a big flaw in it.....Waterproof, choice of freq., even multi freq. and wireless, at $900....im in! But the hard decision for me is whether to sale my AT pro and get a MAX, or maybe even sale both my garrets(Pro and Gold) and get the Max since the Equinox would still put me back at two water machines. I don't care too much about the backlight and could add wireless phones to my machines....What I do like is the true all-metal mode(love it on my Gold) since I am first and foremost a Relic hunter and hunt in some bad ground at times. Some youtube videos I just disregard because of the makers and their "brand loyalty"...I do however put some faith in the Hooverboys videos and they seem to really like the Max. To me the deciding factors are: How much deeper will it hit a 3ringer in moderate to bad ground than my AT Gold? And how much better will it pick through the square nails with the 5x8 attached than my current Garretts? Just these two factors are all that really concerns me....so again, I guess I will set and wait to see more creditable reviews on this new machine.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was having the same problem as you. I have ATP and F75 so I already have something for all metal mode with the F75, but I love my ATP. I would think the Equinox will not be out for another year, so after watching the video by the Hoover Boys, I said hell with it and put in my order 2 weeks ago it will be here next week. I financed it on my PayPal which gives me six months to pay it and in that time I will sell my ATP. And next year I will say goodbye to my F75 and get the Equinox. I'll let you know what I think about it next week. I don't trust many, but I do trust the Hoover Boys. I love when a good plan works out.

Kenkoehn1950

Jan 18, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, ATPro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pre-ordered my machine six weeks ago...almost October...almost time for winter to set in! I wanna use my AT Max before the snow flies and the ground freezes! Still waiting for Kellyco to get me my machine!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pre-ordered my machine six weeks ago...almost October...almost time for winter to set in! I wanna use my AT Max before the snow flies and the ground freezes! Still waiting for Kellyco to get me my machine!

I'm surprised Kellyco is running so late. I ordered mine of of eBay and my USPS tracking number says mine will be here Monday. I'm also grateful we don't get a winter down here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions