Where Are All the AT Max Users and Real User Reviews

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been out there for a few weeks now, at least. Is anyone besides John from Edmonton out there using the Max and how do they like it. Especially interested in hearing if the salt beach/surf capability is actually improved vs. the Pro and would like to see some relic hunting results from the real folk. John is cleaning up with the Gold and Silver finds - how about the rest of you?

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also would like to hear how the Max does hunting the beach, I've used my Pro for beach hunting a few times, works good in dry sand, fair in wet sand, hope the Max is a big improvement.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
There are indeed real users out there. Use search engine GOOGLE and you will find plenty!

OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TNET, John. Why are you practically the only one posting about it on TNET. What message does your response send to the loyal TNET user when you say go elsewhere? Shouldn't TNET be reflective of the general user population? I shouldn't have to google it to get a cross section of real user opinions in addition to yours. I love reading about your awesome finds, John. You are a skilled detectorist. But what are the other TNET folks finding with and learning about the Max?

Last edited:

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
+1. As previously mentioned, some sponsored early you tube vids come across as being a bit hokey. Reminds me of the Impact release....all the hype....the build up.... the delivery of machines....then....... not much. Infact if you look over in the Nokta brands thread the most recent posts are about other Nokta machines -not the impact? Shouldnt people still be raving about it ?

The AT max video (Garret promo) shows a guy detecting along the shore line of a beach. Thats my personal interest in the AT max. Wet sand capability and just how much deeper is it than the pro?

Chub

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best video so far is the Hooverboys video that I posted a link to in the "Hows your AT Max" thread.....it does truly seem a good bit deeper than the pro and somewhat deeper than the Gold.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get a kick out of youtube videos. I have made several commercial motion pictures, so have some experience with the entire process and with youtube you never really know what is really being found, almost nothing said about the history of the site, no context, (As in George Washington slept here), bad frame centering, overdone video openings, bad sound, wind noise (which can be eliminated) and few live digs. Entertaining, but don't put your trust in them. Doesn't matter who is doing them. Some are more entertaining than others, but, consider it entertainment.

OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I don't need videos, especially from Pros who are masters at telling the tale they want to tell. Pictures of finds like John's been posting non-stop for weeks, would suffice. But no one else seems to be posting anything and I get that John's been testing it for months but what about the regular folk have had it in their hands for a few weeks now? Zippo. The only things I've seen from Tnet folks is some issue with the pinpointer (his first machine though) and another guy complaining about chattiness/EMI/"discriminator blips" (whatever those are). No posted finds or find stories. Guess I have to give it a few more weeks.

Last edited:

Zip Zip

Dec 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, I don't need videos, especially from Pros who are masters at telling the tale they want to tell. Pictures of finds like John's been posting non-stop for weeks, would suffice. But no one else seems to be posting anything and I get that John's been testing it for months but what about the regular folk have had it in their hands for a few weeks now? Zippo. The only things I've seen from Tnet folks is some issue with the pinpointer (his first machine though) and another guy complaining about chattiness/EMI/"discriminator blips" (whatever those are). No posted finds or find stories. Guess I have to give it a few more weeks.

I was the one talking about chattiness. I was in an area (in coin mode) with a lot of trash. The 8X11 DD coil was too big for that area. The 5X8DD was a lot better. So many hits with too big of coil and also in coin mode. Problem resolved with 5X8DD coil and running in "Zero Mode". ALSO another thing to know. My wife's Max in frequency #1 did not suffer cross talk from my MXT a/p. I could not get with in 12 feet of the Max with my MXT. Her Max was quiet and my MXT was buzzing away LOL. MXT needs a freq shift too (I wish ) :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was the one talking about chattiness. I was in an area (in coin mode) with a lot of trash. The 8X11 DD coil was too big for that area. The 5X8DD was a lot better. So many hits with too big of coil and also in coin mode. Problem resolved with 5X8DD coil and running in "Zero Mode". ALSO another thing to know. My wife's Max in frequency #1 did not suffer cross talk from my MXT a/p. I could not get with in 12 feet of the Max with my MXT. Her Max was quiet and my MXT was buzzing away LOL. MXT needs a freq shift too (I wish ) :)

Thanks. Good info. How is the performance stacking up vs. your MXT (a great machine IMO).

Carbine

May 15, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received my AT Max in the mail yesterday took it out after work for about 3 hours. I am an AT Gold user for the past couple years and decided to upgrade for the new features they added to the Max, I went out to one of my best spots where I know there is old coins and relics, so far I have mixed feelings with the max...the one major concern I noticed is the headphones keep going in and out of being paired to the machine which is very annoying, you will be going along and then the headphones cut out and the machine is blaring audio through the speaker then after a few seconds it switches back and is fine for awhile. I left the stock coil on to see how it would do, it is very sensitive to emi with the stock coil where I was hunting I had to turn the sensitivity down to 3 bars at times to stop it, I did end up finding some wheat pennies and clad. I decided to switch to the 5X8 coil off of my gold, WOW what a difference.....the emi issues went away could hunt 1 bar down from full.... the machine seemed to go just as deep with either coil. I was hunting in zero mode and iron audio at 24. For some reason it seams the id numbers do not seem to be as accurate as my gold meaning a lot of high tones ring up in the 30's which could be the max goes a little deeper and cannot ID things that deep which happens with the gold but seems to be more with the max.

I like the machine except for the pairing issue and will be buying a new 5X8 coil for it!

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the review, very intersting about the parring of the head phones, sounds like Garrett has a bit more work to do.

Sheppie22

Jun 9, 2011
Milford, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac,
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Max
Minelab Equinox 800 and 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I received my AT Max in the mail yesterday took it out after work for about 3 hours. I am an AT Gold user for the past couple years and decided to upgrade for the new features they added to the Max, I went out to one of my best spots where I know there is old coins and relics, so far I have mixed feelings with the max...the one major concern I noticed is the headphones keep going in and out of being paired to the machine which is very annoying, you will be going along and then the headphones cut out and the machine is blaring audio through the speaker then after a few seconds it switches back and is fine for awhile. I left the stock coil on to see how it would do, it is very sensitive to emi with the stock coil where I was hunting I had to turn the sensitivity down to 3 bars at times to stop it, I did end up finding some wheat pennies and clad. I decided to switch to the 5X8 coil off of my gold, WOW what a difference.....the emi issues went away could hunt 1 bar down from full.... the machine seemed to go just as deep with either coil. I was hunting in zero mode and iron audio at 24. For some reason it seams the id numbers do not seem to be as accurate as my gold meaning a lot of high tones ring up in the 30's which could be the max goes a little deeper and cannot ID things that deep which happens with the gold but seems to be more with the max.

I like the machine except for the pairing issue and will be buying a new 5X8 coil for it!
Been out several times with my Max and have had no pairing issues.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Maybe they'll keep having issues and decide to offer the new machine without all the wireless for a more reasonable price.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sticking with the two machines I have. Both have done well, and I STILL haven't figured out how to use both at the same time. Machine weight is a HUGE issue with me. That always figures into whether I try something new or not.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got mine 2 days ago and just getting a feel for it still. So far I can stay the recovery speed is much better, but the earphones only lasted 4 hours. ( not sure if they sent them fully charged ) I’m going today to a hunted out spot. I’ll keep you informed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been out several times with my Max and have had no pairing issues.

Mine ran out after 4 hours, I thought the battery went dead, But now that I think about it the red light was still on and now I just read about this pairing issue I bet that was it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heck, all this time I thought this machine cured cancer.......disappointed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions