Possible issue with the pinpoint function on the ATMax…

CJayC

Jan 14, 2017
Auburn, WA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I've only had three hunts with the Max, which is my first machine, so I'm not sure if this is a glitch or user error.

When I get a decent signal, I'll try to pinpoint to get a better idea of where to dig, but what is happening quite often, is when I'm pinpointing and I get to where the strongest response is, that strong response will remain active even if I move the coil along the ground feet away from the target, and even if I raise the coil into the air above my head. This is causing me to be unsure if what I'm assuming is the location of the target is accurate or not.

Is there something I may be doing incorrectly or something that I should try differently? Is this something that was common with the Pro and Gold models?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I've only had three hunts with the Max, which is my first machine, so I'm not sure if this is a glitch or user error.

When I get a decent signal, I'll try to pinpoint to get a better idea of where to dig, but what is happening quite often, is when I'm pinpointing and I get to where the strongest response is, that strong response will remain active even if I move the coil along the ground feet away from the target, and even if I raise the coil into the air above my head. This is causing me to be unsure if what I'm assuming is the location of the target is accurate or not.

Is there something I may be doing incorrectly or something that I should try differently? Is this something that was common with the Pro and Gold models?

So it just stops eventually?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
CJayC

CJayC

Jan 14, 2017
Auburn, WA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So it just stops eventually?

When I take my finger off the button. Otherwise no.

Here's the process:

I'll start pinpointing over a target and get to the location that triggers the full strength response tone and screen display. While this is happening, I can walk away from the target with the coil still slightly above the ground, and the full strength signal tone and screen display will remain active. Then I'll take the coil and point it straight in the air above my head with my arm fully extended, and watch and listen as the signal and screen display remain active further still, only stopping once I remove my thumb from the PP button.

I can repeat this occurrence from many spots in my yard. While it doesn't happen every time, it happens enough to make me question the accuracy whenever it does signal over a potential target.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I take my finger off the button. Otherwise no.

Here's the process:

I'll start pinpointing over a target and get to the location that triggers the full strength response tone and screen display. While this is happening, I can walk away from the target with the coil still slightly above the ground, and the full strength signal tone and screen display will remain active. Then I'll take the coil and point it straight in the air above my head with my arm fully extended, and watch and listen as the signal and screen display remain active further still, only stopping once I remove my thumb from the PP button.

I can repeat this occurrence from many spots in my yard. While it doesn't happen every time, it happens enough to make me question the accuracy whenever it does signal over a potential target.

No doubt. I'd call Garrett I guess. I hate not being 100% sure on something with a new machine it make me second guess everything.

Gary41

Greenie
Jul 22, 2015
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched the instructional video last night. You said you start pinpointing over a target. If I remember the video said after locating a target you move coil away from the signal and then press the button. You then move back over the target with button pressed.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Try de-tuning the coil over the target. While holding the coil over the target with the pinpoint button pressed, let go of the pinpoint button, then push and hold it again. That should fix it. My Pro and Gold would sometimes do that too. I always de-tune my coil over a target, to get more accuracy.

OP
OP
CJayC

CJayC

Jan 14, 2017
Auburn, WA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I watched the instructional video last night. You said you start pinpointing over a target. If I remember the video said after locating a target you move coil away from the signal and then press the button. You then move back over the target with button pressed.

Try de-tuning the coil over the target. While holding the coil over the target with the pinpoint button pressed, let go of the pinpoint button, then push and hold it again. That should fix it. My Pro and Gold would sometimes do that too. I always de-tune my coil over a target, to get more accuracy.

Thanks for the tips! I'll try both of those suggestions next time I'm out.

OP
OP
CJayC

CJayC

Jan 14, 2017
Auburn, WA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the tips! I'll try both of those suggestions next time I'm out.

Gary, I took your advice and started my pinpoint off-target and came in on it. Worked as expected. Thank you again.

Gary41

Greenie
Jul 22, 2015
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Glad I could help So far I'm loving my Max

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread