My new max! Short review

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus/Vaquero/At Max/fisher f70/carrot pen pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently got the max and went out to a local permission. After I’m packing hooking it all up I used the stock 8/11 DD coil.

Headphones paired instantly.

My first impressions were it’s very solid and ODDLY enough no EMI.

I had the at pro for 4 months then sold it so I was use to the platform.

After swinging it for one hour it hit solidly on dimes quarters and pennies accurately (little bouncy as expected as you go deeper) VDI to about 6 inches.

Near the back yard it’s nail city. I turned off iron audio and was able to pick out pennies in between the trash well.

My deepest coin was 8.5 inch penny. Faint audio repeatable. I thing switched to all metal solid 79/80. Dug up a 64 copper penny.

After using a deus, Etrac, f70, outlaw, silverumax, and atpro, the max in my book so far is a great machine!
IMG_2119.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love mine. It pulled a CW 3 ringer at 11” for me the other day with the stock coil. But just be ready to buy a lot of batteries I have noticed it eats them up. IMG_1295.JPG IMG_1297.JPG

OP
OP
darktower007

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet! Yeah I figured it ate batteries gotta get some rechargeables soon

OP
OP
darktower007

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is it me or does the Max just kill nickels. Mid tone Monster.

Yep it nailed one at 5 inches near some nails. I use very little descrim (I’m use to the deus zero descrim) and i only got it one way but it held the 51-53 back and forth.

So far I’m liking the max a lot.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrat's to you on the new AT MAX. Nice review, and Continued Success.

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the review. Keep them coming. I am looking at a MAX or Equinox for my kids and all the input I can get is helpful.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lucky kids!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IMHO: Buy the RnB Li=ion battery pack if it's compatible. I use it in the AT Pro and Gold with fantastic results.

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the review. Getting into the hobby and this is the detector I have asked my wife to buy.

relichound

Aug 25, 2004
Northern Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have only had my AT MAX for 2 weeks but like the results thus far. I’ve taken it out twice now in a heavily pounded CW battle site in VA that we’ve been detecting since 2011. On both occasions I have dug 4 CW buckets and a Eagle A cuff button in an area that other detectors have missed. I am still learning this machine and the settings but with 2 Saturday’s under my belt with the AT MAX I am pleasantly surprised with the results thus far.

Last edited:
OP
OP
darktower007

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its been working well so far. It’s great when there’s sparse iron and nails, as it can hit deep coins 8-10 inches and in all metal mode REALLY deep coins.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve noticed If looking for deep targets you have to check those 4” targets because they’re coming in deeper. And it will hit very small targets deep. I’ve very satisfied with the Max.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
The battery condition indicator, using freshly charged "AA" batteries rated at 2800 mAh will go from 4/4 bars to 2/4 bars after 2-3 hours of use, then remain at the 2 bar for at least another 5 hours. I haven't had the machine go down to one bar yet. Even at 1 bar, the machine does not have any loss of performance, but I would change batteries for sure at that point. The AT Pro and AT Gold did not go from 4/4 bars to 2/4 bar as quickly. The AT Max probably does eat up battery life a little faster then the other AT's though, as it is definitely a deeper detector in both true all metal mode and zero discrimination mode, according to all my air and ground depth tests.

I also use the rechargeable ion battery....seems to last forever!

12-75.jpg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a good machine, and a good day. None of my spots are "all metal" sites, way too much (useless) iron around here. I was out with someone today who a new Max. I noticed on his machine and mine the VDI dropped off at about 6", like yours, but we were in very hot ground, very hot, actually, awful red Virginia dirt, but not quite as bad as Culpeper. I have the Deus. We were looking for CW relics and we both got a ton of aluminum, and a few keepers. My surprise of the day was a 1945 quarter (silver of course), and I heard the thing, but nothing on the VDI. Dug anyway and the blasted tone disappeared. I had a hole 9" deep. Ran the pinpointer down there and she was a good 5 inches down and standing straight up and down! Now that's hard!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread