OK-A Quarter Is Dropped In A Field With Yearly Frost. What Will Happen To It?

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Will sink at a constant rate, say to about 3" after 5 years, will it sink to a depth and remain at that depth, or stay shallow an up to 1"?

lake 2 small.jpg

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
But it won't be there on the surface......:flag_blue::flag_blue:

SteveJJ

May 18, 2015
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher F75 (for sale)
Fisher Gold Bug 2
White's TDI SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As plant life grows dies decays into dirt, each year covers it a bit deeper. Gravity pulls it a bit lower. Too many variables to give any depth per year estimates. Some parks coins from the 80's are as deep as other areas yield coins from 1800's. I'm just glad they fell out of sight for me to discover!

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This a research topic of mine and a few others on this forum. There are many unknowns to guess the sink rate,

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, different factors will dictate the depth. Plowed field vs grazing field, swampy land vs hard dirt, woods vs field, etc. My oldest coin to date is a 1738 KG II halfpenny and it was found maybe 6" down in a cattle grazing field. If it had been wooded, it probably would've been deeper. On the other hand, I found an old tombac button from the late 1700s in the same type of field about 12-14" deep. The button was far lighter in weight than the halfpenny. Go figure.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've dug plenty of targets sitting on top of clay right at the bottom of the top soil. I've seen top soil range from 1" to 16".

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sometimes we have soil then a gravel layer at about 8". Coins sink to the gravel layer and then stop or sink very slowly

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the areas in the US that have heavy vegetation and trees That drop a lot of leaves and needles, the rate of cover can be as much as a couple inches per year. This depends on the ambient temperature and moisture that controls the degree of rot. The freeze rate during the winter should have little or no effect on a metal piece of material laying on the surface that was covered up by a couple inches of decaying wet leaves. These are areas where the new Equinox will shine.:thumb_up:

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The XP Deus already shines in these areas lol... I can have my freq... from 4Khz up to 78Khz with the same machine.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Question, John, and you are absolutely right. The quarter will fall and RISE with all the natural and, possibly, manmade forces on it so the answer is "who knows" because unless it hits a hard clay or bedrock layer, it is likely not going to have a final position. This is one of the reasons why you find targets in supposedly hunted out sites (I maintain that there is likely no such animal, regardless how hard the site has been pounded).

Farma

Nov 26, 2012
Farmington, Maine
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Tigershark & Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found an 1831 Coronet Liberty Head Large Cents in a hardwood forest in what once was a school yard. The school was taken down and removed in 1863. The coin had no ware on it what so ever. The rim on these coins was not made high enough to prevent ware on the face when in circulation so no ware indicated when it was dropped in was new. The coin was only about 5 to 6 inches down. Most of the cover over the coin was forest duff and hardwood leaves. This means that the coin sank very little and was covered over.

I run 3/4" black waterlines above ground to water tanks for my cows. After about three years these water lines will be completely covered by grass to the point that they are very hard to find. They do not sink into the ground they are covered up by vegetation. The same may not happen in parks but also do not think coins sink unless stepped on or they are in very soft ground.

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also found a 1831 US Large Cent yesterday in a wooded area and it was on the surface covered by some leaves. I found 2 others near the same spot earlier this year and they were up to 2 inches deep. The buried ones were more toasted. My personal opinion is it depends on the soil, moisture, and if the ground has been disturbed over the years. I find most of my coins less than 5 inches deep and I've dug deeper trash as well. There's no exact science to it but it is a fun topic to debate.

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
I also found a 1831 US Large Cent yesterday in a wooded area and it was on the surface covered by some leaves. I found 2 others near the same spot earlier this year and they were up to 2 inches deep. The buried ones were more toasted. My personal opinion is it depends on the soil, moisture, and if the ground has been disturbed over the years. I find most of my coins less than 5 inches deep and I've dug deeper trash as well. There's no exact science to it but it is a fun topic to debate.

I too have experienced similar results. It's really weird! Oh.......I like your avatar!

Awesome-skeleton-boogie-GIF.gif

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread