Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1) I presume you have both technical data and statistics with a good degree of reliability to back up your outlandish comment?
2) It's not even water proof or water resistant?
3) It was designed over 15 years ago.....old technology.

Really. Other than being water proof or water resistant, what is so new technology about the AT Pro? It's just a VLF detector with buttons and a screen rather than knobs. Nothing new about that. It's just more OLD technology and water resistant. But hey.....that old tech still works pretty darn good don't it!

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It hasn't even been released yet! It will be the entry level metal detector for Minelab's multi-frequency lineup. Don't expect it to out-do...

No offense JE- you do LOT of promo for Garrett, and yes for the Max before it was released. I love my At Pro, but I love my CRX as well- don’t be a shill!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No offense JE- you do LOT of promo for Garrett, and yes for the Max before it was released. I love my At Pro, but I love my CRX as well- don’t be a shill!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X-2 my thoughts also.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
equinox.... Oh John up there contradicted himself when he started spewing off about what the equinox WOULDNT do ... IT HASNT EVEN BEEN RELEASED yet ... Garretts on a sinking ship unless they get a lightweight wireless multi freq machine to market and whites too. BTW their not advertising as a entry level machine and they are making big claims about it.. It obsoleted the max when they announced it. LOOK at the specs...and for the same price point gotta love competition!

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All i can say is the proof is in your finds and both of you are very good at what you do and understand your detectors . They all have good and bad points and understanding the weakness of the machine you are swinging is the trick . AT's have been around a long time and i used one for years and loved it and found many keepers with , and the same with tesoro been swinging when the first silver saber came out and swinging a tejon now and still learning it i like it so far but don't have enough hours on it to be comfortable yet you really need to understand you detector ....there is no known cure for your addiction ...

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
equinox.... Oh John up there contradicted himself when he started spewing off about what the equinox WOULDNT do ... IT HASNT EVEN BEEN RELEASED yet ... Garretts on a sinking ship unless they get a lightweight wireless multi freq machine to market and whites too. BTW their not advertising as a entry level machine and they are making big claims about it.. It obsoleted the max when they announced it. LOOK at the specs...and for the same price point gotta love competition!

Lol. I thought the same thing.

Farma

Nov 26, 2012
Farmington, Maine
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Tigershark & Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few more words: Tesoro Vaquero $454.00 - You won't find anything with the AT Max ($722.00), that the Vaquero won't find. :skullflag:

I have both an AT Pro and a Tesoro Vaquero. Both are good machines and I have used both for a few years.

The AT Pro is a good machine but it's not as fast picking up targets as the Vaquero and it does not go as deep. I do like the Iron audio on the AT Pro and if you get one you will like it too.

But the Vaquero is just a fun machine to hunt with. Park hunting with it I have never seen another detector that is faster hitting good targets than the Tesoro. The numbers on the AT are nice but deep targets give squirrely numbers. The high tone on the AT is nice but if you learn the language the Vaquero speaks loud and clear. For a pick up and go machine get an AT Pro. For a fun, deep seeker, fast mover get the Vaquero.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ideal mid-range detector off the top of my head:

Balanced like the Fisher F75 - With a well balanced machine, weight is almost a secondary consideration. The F75 weighs a half pound more than the AT Pro/Max but you do not feel it. Light Weight like the Deus is a bonus.

Compact Travel Mode like the Deus

Long-lived, rechargeable, user replaceable batteries various manufacturers

Built-in Wireless Headphone Capability using bluetooth standard and waterproof wired capability like Minelab (Garrett is close but uses a proprietary wireless headphone protocol)

User Interface like the Fisher F75 - Simple, easy to read and navigate. One button, one knob.

Simple, Intuitive, Effective Grab and Go Mode like Tesoro. Simple enough for a beginner to grasp, effective enough for an experienced detectorist to not be left wanting.

Submersible like the Garrett AT series, Minelab, Whites (don't need a dive machine, though)

Recovery Speed Fast like the Tesoros and Deus and Variable Like the Deus

Multiple Tone Choices like the Deus (2 - 5 tones, "Full" tones, and pitch)

Stable, Accurate Target ID (visual and tone) at Depth like Minelab

True All Metal Mode implemented like Whites (MXT) and Tesoro and like the Teknetics Patriot Series/Fisher F70, perhaps now with the AT Max, not sure.

Wide Range Multifrequency Modes Like the Deus

Simultaneous Multifrequency like Minelab Equinox

Very High Frequency Prospecting Modes like Minelab, Deus

Firmware Upgradeable Like Deus, Nokta, Minelab

Cell Phone Integration and Program Uploading Like Minelab, Deus (though none can upload custom programs to the controller that I am aware of). Note - I am NOT looking to replace the controller with the a cell phone. I need a standalone controller as the primary user interface.

Wide Variety of OEM and 3rd Party Coil Choices like most brands, though I think First Texas has the best variety and performance of OEM coils.

Super High End Model would have FBS multifrequency mode and PI modes available - lol.

Add things I forgot, throw darts. Give the OP information he should consider for his ideal mid-level machine.

Looking at all of the above, the Equinox comes pretty close to fitting the bill vs. the Max.

Last edited:

Farma

Nov 26, 2012
Farmington, Maine
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Tigershark & Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your want a detector to find stuff in the ground and you have a detector goes deeper, faster and easier then everything else is just bells and whistles.
But I will admit most people think the more bells and whistles the better.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah that's why new model detectors sell like hotcakes, I reckon. It's all just bells and whistles...

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really though a lot of people don't really understand what a lot of those so called bells and whisltles do...

the lama

Greenie
Mar 19, 2017
Detector(s) used
at pro,cz21,infinium,ace 350,f2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pretty easy to find a used at pro for around 400 see if you like the hobby ,if not or you want to upgrade next year you can sell it for about what you paid for it

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went through most of the post. I would wait and test drive both the AT Max and the Equinox before I bought one. I want to see one in action before I buy. Did that with the Deus I'm using now. Went well for the dealer the day I bought it! Also depends on what you're using. And the sites you are working.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own and use the WHites V3i and detect with Minelab CTX 3030 users. Not only do I hold my own against them sometimes I get deeper signals. Minelab is good especially if you want to brag how much your detector costs. Whites are awesome and the V3i is more versatile. If only the Vi was waterproof. But for that I have an AT Pro and that is a very good quality machine. Not only is it simple to use but a very deep machine. An average machine in the hands of some one who knows how to use it will always be better than a superior machine used improperly. Just learn the machine you are going to use, and enjoy the hobby. Happy Hunting MackDog

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
899 .00 wireless lightweight ,updatable, waterproof , and has multiple freq like the v3 i for 899.00 also has rechargeable batteries . Ill stand by what I said garrett and whites are in trouble if they don't get a new detector to market but there will always be some brand loyalist people around that will probably keep them in business. What does new whites v3i cost these days?

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Armor9, Lot's of good reply's on your thread, winter is closing in where you are, so time IS on your side. No matter what detector you may decide upon, the only other thing to consider is also getting a "small" coil to go along with it, they really are a great addition to whatever detector you will be using.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lot of great questions and answers on this post. I recently was on a hunt in Virginia where both the AT Max and the Equinox was being used. They both found relics in the woods and some parts of the fields that was not so hot ground. But in the hot ground neither could get much depth. Pulse machines such as the Minelab GPX excel in the hot soil. Both users really liked each machine. There is not enough info available at this time to persuade me to one machine over the other. I have the GPX for relic hunting but I am looking for a good VLF for some deep coins when not hunting relics. I was thinking about getting the AT MAX for now and then when the Equinox comes out and proves to be better then I can always sell the Max and get the Equinox. As you can see by the machines that I use I am not partial to one brand and only that brand. I go by performance. I know some VLF's are better than others. But also experience on your machine is very important. So for now I am anxiously waiting for the Equinox to appear with a lot of reviews both good and bad to help me decide to get or not. One thing that I would love to see is an AT MAX vs. Equinox review from actual users.

OP
OP
Armor9

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Armor9, Lot's of good reply's on your thread, winter is closing in where you are, so time IS on your side. No matter what detector you may decide upon, the only other thing to consider is also getting a "small" coil to go along with it, they really are a great addition to whatever detector you will be using.

What benefit does a "small" coil add?

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
899 .00 wireless lightweight ,updatable, waterproof , and has multiple freq like the v3 i for 899.00 also has rechargeable batteries . Ill stand by what I said garrett and whites are in trouble if they don't get a new detector to market but there will always be some brand loyalist people around that will probably keep them in business. What does new whites v3i cost these days?

Can you elaborate on the updatable part ?
Last I heard, guys were griping and panicking [even canceling pre orders] because it was not [we are talking about the equinox right ?]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread