Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Better for hunting trashy areas, less drag underwater.

The tradeoff - Covers far less ground in the same time, and usually less depth.
They call them "sniper coils" because they have a specific purpose, and are not recommended for general use [I'm sure you know that, just throwing it out there for those who may not]

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lot of great questions and answers on this post. I recently was on a hunt in Virginia where both the AT Max and the Equinox was being used. They both found relics in the woods and some parts of the fields that was not so hot ground. But in the hot ground neither could get much depth. Pulse machines such as the Minelab GPX excel in the hot soil. Both users really liked each machine. There is not enough info available at this time to persuade me to one machine over the other. I have the GPX for relic hunting but I am looking for a good VLF for some deep coins when not hunting relics. I was thinking about getting the AT MAX for now and then when the Equinox comes out and proves to be better then I can always sell the Max and get the Equinox. As you can see by the machines that I use I am not partial to one brand and only that brand. I go by performance. I know some VLF's are better than others. But also experience on your machine is very important. So for now I am anxiously waiting for the Equinox to appear with a lot of reviews both good and bad to help me decide to get or not. One thing that I would love to see is an AT MAX vs. Equinox review from actual users.

Do you absolutely need waterproof? Some of the deepest relic and coin machines I know are established machines like the Whites MXT and the Fisher F75 or Teknetics Greek or Patriot series detectors. At about the same price point as the AT Max or much less. Look for folks dumping their perfectly good used machines to buy a Max or Equinox, those are where you can get some great deals. The MXT and F75 and Teknetics are weatherproof, just not submersible. Similar capable machines include the Tesoros and Nokta/Makro machines.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few more words: Tesoro Vaquero $454.00 - You won't find anything with the AT Max ($722.00), that the Vaquero won't find. :skullflag:

Unless its under water - lol.

kajunoutlaw

Jun 3, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 350 / F75 LTD2/ AT MAX/ Multi Kruzer/ Nox 800

Have used many detectors.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
equinox.... Oh John up there contradicted himself when he started spewing off about what the equinox WOULDNT do ... IT HASNT EVEN BEEN RELEASED yet ... Garretts on a sinking ship unless they get a lightweight wireless multi freq machine to market and whites too. BTW their not advertising as a entry level machine and they are making big claims about it.. It obsoleted the max when they announced it. LOOK at the specs...and for the same price point gotta love competition!

And yet you're saying the Nox obsoleted the Max even though IT HASN'T BEEN RELEASED yet. Contradiction personified. Go back in your hole. You haven't used either machine, who are you to comment on either ? Typical nonsense bash by the calaBASH.

kajunoutlaw

Jun 3, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
899 .00 wireless lightweight ,updatable, waterproof , and has multiple freq like the v3 i for 899.00 also has rechargeable batteries . Ill stand by what I said garrett and whites are in trouble if they don't get a new detector to market but there will always be some brand loyalist people around that will probably keep them in business. What does new whites v3i cost these days?

I'm sure Garrett and Whites are shaking in their boots because of your prediction.

jessadr

Jul 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine went crazy in less than 2 months. I will let you know how much trouble they put me threw to get it replaced. I have a lot of club members watching this also

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure Garrett and Whites are shaking in their boots because of your prediction.

I hope they're doing more than shaking in their boots and doing something about it, because it doesn't look good right now.

kajunoutlaw

Jun 3, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope they're doing more than shaking in their boots and doing something about it, because it doesn't look good right now.

Do you have a Max ? Have you used a Max ? I have one and it's impressive. I was prepared to sell it if it didn't impress because I'm not brand loyal and I like trying out different detectors. I will be keeping the Max. Also I wonder, do you have any idea when either Garrett or Whites will debut something different ? Fisher hasn't released anything new in years. They're not in danger of closing the doors. Minelab released one of the biggest flops in modern detecting with the go find series. They're doing ok as well.

(Removed by mod for rule violation)

Last edited by a moderator:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better for hunting trashy areas, less drag underwater.

A9, The above quote is right on. They are also a pleasure to use after using a "stock" coil for awhile, being light in weight, but that is a small thing. Biggest part is that as Urban Prospector said, and MUCH better for trashy areas, can separate and pinpoint so much better I believe, and truthfully, I seldom switch back to the larger coil, I don't lose much depth really, and can get into tighter areas, under shrubs, between rocks, and in the woods etc. where the larger coil can get hung up. I use the 5x8 on the AT Pro, and a 6?x8 sef butterfly coil on a Safari. You can bet that the larger coils have their place, it's that a small coil can be VERY effective, another tool in your detecting arsenal. It's a nice thing to have.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And yet you're saying the Nox obsoleted the Max even though IT HASN'T BEEN RELEASED yet. Contradiction personified. Go back in your hole. You haven't used either machine, who are you to comment on either ? Typical nonsense bash by the calaBASH.

I seemed to have pulled your string and got you out of your hole. READ THE SPECS! Its really a no brainer, the mine lab can change freq the max cant, the minelab is lightweight the max aint, the minelab can run multiple freq at once the max cant , those three features ALONE obsolete the at max. You want to say I'm a clown show go look at what this clown finds ! I'm not a minelab user but I will have equinox when it comes out. Like I said above the equinox over the max is a no brainer and the equinox hasn't even been released yet. Go sit down at your desk at the garrett office and come up with a light weight , multi freq detector.... and send this clown show one to test and ill let you know what I think.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have a Max ? Have you used a Max ? I have one and it's impressive. I was prepared to sell it if it didn't impress because I'm not brand loyal and I like trying out different detectors. I will be keeping the Max. Also I wonder, do you have any idea when either Garrett or Whites will debut something different ? Fisher hasn't released anything new in years. They're not in danger of closing the doors. Minelab released one of the biggest flops in modern detecting with the go find series. They're doing ok as well.

you like your max fine, but some of us have used detectors that can change freq and know the advantages of it. LOOK at whats going on the detecting world the over seas companies are spanking American companies ..... You say the max is impressive compared to what? a ace? Its a rehash of a at pro and gold and if that impresses you then fine it doesnt impress me because they added a rubber handle, vol control, and a backlight. Same old rehash release! You can call it bashing if you want but I call it the plain ole truth.... guys who have at max and love it more power to you but there is a detector in the same price range coming out that's gonna put a hurting on it..

Last edited by a moderator:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not brand loyal. Not at all. Two observations: If you are meteorite hunting in the desert, a PI machine would be good UNLESS you get into a ghost town or such. If you try one in a park, you might as well wrap it around a tree. PI machines are only so useful. I have no deserts nearby and my VLF machine DOES work in the bad VA ground, it's all about the machine set up and operator capability.

Second. You can only swing one machine at a time. Yes, the obvious. I see people jumping at the latest bells and whistles, but it may not make any sense to JUMP. Try one out first, aka no mail order if possible. Find a dealer. Place a nickel (or small piece of gold) out in their yard with some square nails right next to it and see how it really behaves. Why have 5k in machines in the closet if you do only a couple kinds of detecting?

I have two machines right now, both light weight but different manufacturers. Both will work in shallow salt water. The technical discussion is interesting, however, field work will make or break it.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
btw OP sorry about hi jacking your thread but if you post and ask opinions about different brands you will get this a lot the time. I'm not a garrett user anymore did start with a at pro and did well with it too, I have had a minelab ctx too and didn't care for it. I currently own a deus and love it.. For the money imo the equinox hands down is the better buy for the features it offers. Changing freq is a BIG deal but most don't have experience with it because its a newer tech that's being built it to detectors. Some detectors will do it now deus,v3i, and xterra but on the exterra you have to change coils. Changing freq is a advanced topic but great benefits are reaped from being able to do so much less being able to run multiple freq at one time but that's a advance user topic too. If you buy a detector with these features you can grow into it but if you buy one without it your STUCK at one point .. and cant grow past it. Hope this helps now go over on the minelab forum and post this post and see what happens.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do not buy a machine from the FIELD UNTESTED specifications. Do you buy a car by looking at pretty pictures on the internet? God help you if you get your mate off the net sight unseen. If you do, lotsa luck and don't complain about it later.

kajunoutlaw

Jun 3, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I'm stupid! Ok time for a honest answer from you! If you had the max and equinox in front of you and had NEVER used both at all . WHICH one would you buy from the specs ALONE?

See, I didn't say you were stupid. If you're a thinking man you would know better than to buy anything from specs alone. The Max is a different animal than the pro. You've used the Pro so that's your reference point. I've used both and the Max can do some amazing things in trash and the Max makes you a better tone hunter as opposed to relying so much on vdi. Being in business for myself has taught me well not to depend on specs. What looks good and smells good doesn't always taste good.

Can you get me a job at Garrett ? Or Fisher ? Or Whites ? Minelab is too far away. So is Deus.
:laughing7:

kajunoutlaw

Jun 3, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
btw OP sorry about hi jacking your thread but if you post and ask opinions about different brands you will get this a lot the time. I'm not a garrett user anymore did start with a at pro and did well with it too, I have had a minelab ctx too and didn't care for it. I currently own a deus and love it.. For the money imo the equinox hands down is the better buy for the features it offers. Changing freq is a BIG deal but most don't have experience with it because its a newer tech that's being built it to detectors. Some detectors will do it now deus,v3i, and xterra but on the exterra you have to change coils. Changing freq is a advanced topic but great benefits are reaped from being able to do so much less being able to run multiple freq at one time but that's a advance user topic too. If you buy a detector with these features you can grow into it but if you buy one without it your STUCK at one point .. and cant grow past it. Hope this helps now go over on the minelab forum and post this post and see what happens.

VX3, Impact , Rutus Alter and the new Quest pro as well.

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really doubt Garrett is on a sinking ship. They will sell a ton of ATMax's despite the Equinox hype. But competition is healthy for us all, so bring it on.

Last edited:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why is the equinox hype?? Garrett did the same type marketing with the at max , remember a man standing on the mountain.. We got a back light , new grip , increased depth but still havent heard how much that is in discrim mode. Pretty much a cross between a gold and a pro.. if you like the gold and pro then you should love the max its basically the same detector. Garrett hyped it up pretty good imo ! They might sell a ton of maxs but I bet they would have sold a lot more if the equinox hadn't been announced.. I'm gonna bail on the garrett forum as I have upset the garrett tribe. I love competition myself it should help us all and get better performing detectors to market soon.

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
The tradeoff - Covers far less ground in the same time, and usually less depth.
They call them "sniper coils" because they have a specific purpose, and are not recommended for general use [I'm sure you know that, just throwing it out there for those who may not]

Actually I think he was talking about the 5x7 DD which isn't a "sniper" coil. And in my area with 90% of the targets being within 5" of the surface, depth is not quite as critical. I actually prefer using the 5x7 over the 8x11. I honestly only use the larger coil if my small one has an issue or I need to try to get deeper (which in my case is not very often).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread