Any reason NOT to get an AT Max?

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Asked the wife to get me an AT Max and it looks like it is going to happen, but the question is: Is there any reason NOT to get an AT Max? I've read everything I can find on Google and yet to find anything that said anything bad about it. I am skeptical about reviews like those because you never know if they may have been planted or not. Anyone here have any negatives? Thanks!

CJayC

Jan 14, 2017
Auburn, WA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Two words: Minelab. Equinox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A few more words: Tesoro Vaquero $454.00 - You won't find anything with the AT Max ($722.00), that the Vaquero won't find. :skullflag:

beendetected

May 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few more words: Tesoro Vaquero $454.00 - You won't find anything with the AT Max ($722.00), that the Vaquero won't find. :skullflag:
Even more words: enjoy whatever machine you choose that beeps over metal.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus/Vaquero/At Max/fisher f70/carrot pen pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a max and it’s great!
“Any quality machine you master you will become one with grasshopper”

Only drawback is in heavy iron.. when it’s an old home site I take the deus.

Other than that the max is a great detector!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Armor9

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a max and it’s great!
“Any quality machine you master you will become one with grasshopper”

Only drawback is in heavy iron.. when it’s an old home site I take the deus.

Other than that the max is a great detector!

Can you please explain the heavy iron issue? Not sure I understand what you mean. Sorry, I'm just learning. Thanks.

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can you please explain the heavy iron issue? Not sure I understand what you mean. Sorry, I'm just learning. Thanks.

Sure.

All metal detectors struggle in iron. When you come across say a field where a home once stood old rusty nails may be everywhere. (Imagine a carpet of rusted iron under your feet.)

Now when you turn up the iron discrimination to block it out, the detector still reads it but no audio response.

This is where separation come in to play.

Some detectors simply cannot process the iron (ferrous object) next to a higher conductor like a coin. So it nulls over it or blends the tone over it.

The max in my opinion is quick in recovery time but one detector excels in iron and that’s the deus in my opinion.

It’s so fast in recovery time I can use zero discrimination and dig the high tones with ease.

But the max is a great detector and I’m enjoying it so far!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are going to spend that much money on your first detector, holding off to see what the Equinox has to offer at about the same price point would be prudent. You just happen to be entering the hobby when some major players have or are putting out some directly competing new detector releases. In addition to Garrrett (Max), First Texas (Teknetics Patriot Series), Nokta (Impact) [all already released] it looks like Minelab (Equinox) and Quest (aka Deteknix) is about to join in the fun with their Equinox-like (Quest Pro) at similar price points to the detectors I just mentioned. Exciting times.

Performance vs. price, the AT Max/Pro detectors have proven themselves as a popular great value, I just can't get over their weight and balance issues based on the AT Pro form factor that Garrett has unfortunately carried over to the Max (the only AT Pro "flaw" they did not address with the Max design) and I think the Equinox will address those issues (lighter and weight distributed better than the Max) and will have a few performance tricks up its sleeve that should eclipse the Max (multifrequency operation, high frequency operation, variable recovery speed) and Minelab is finally providing this performance at a reasonable, Max competitive price point. I am primarily a Deus user, but am not recommending that because it is well above the AT Max/Equinox price point you are considering and needs modifications and add-ons to be fully waterproofed unlike the Max and Equinox which can be used at 3M depth right out of the box (provided you separately get yourself some waterproof headphones).

The Deus does (and Equinox should) fare better in iron infested sites vs. the AT Max due to the higher recovery speed (responsivity after encountering a target) which allows for greater target separation. Discrimination will knock out iron but will also knock out adjacent targets that are masked by that iron unless you have responsivity. The AT Max is not sluggish, but nowhere as responsive as the Deus (and presumably the Equinox), which is why the previous poster prefers the Deus to the Max in iron infested ground. HTH.

Good luck

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since you are in Ohio, winter is coming on [obviously], so detecting season is drawing to a close.

In view of that, I'd also hold out to see how some of the new models already mentioned pan out, in time for early spring.

I have an AT Pro [earlier version of the max], nice detector.
Has stood the test of time [5 years or so], has easily paid for itself then some, but I use it only in the water.
For ground for various reasons I use others, but thats me. No reason at all why it can't be used for both, and most users likely do just that.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Two words: Minelab. Equinox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It hasn't even been released yet! It will be the entry level metal detector for Minelab's multi-frequency lineup. Don't expect it to out-do the several other Minelab, both single or multi frequency detectors. And it only has 40 units resolution for non-ferrous targets, so all high sought after conductors like silver and copper will be crammed in together with screwcaps, bottle caps and pull tabs. You will probably be digging a lot more junk because of this compared to a lot of singe frequency detectors with a lot higher resolution. And the ability of the Equinox to get deep targets hasn't been addressed yet.

The AT MAX has a lot of the newer technology available, doesn't use old fashioned knobs, resulting with depth loss as you advance the selection to knock out more conductivity, has and is currently showing great depth, target separation and has excellent warranty in case something goes wrong. It will be serviced in Texas where they are built, and have been building metal detectors since 1964.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro

1) I presume you have both technical data and statistics with a good degree of reliability to back up your outlandish comment?
2) It's not even water proof or water resistant?
3) It was designed over 15 years ago.....old technology.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1) I presume you have both technical data and statistics with a good degree of reliability to back up your outlandish comment?
2) It's not even water proof or water resistant?
3) It was designed over 15 years ago.....old technology.

Terry Solomon vs. John Edmonton. I can't wait. Let me grab some popcorn....

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love the "old" statements. Technology is great but I've just recently dug keepers out of ground an At max swiped with no success with my old and outdated f75. That old tesoro is no slouch.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It hasn't even been released yet! It will be the entry level metal detector for Minelab's multi-frequency lineup. Don't expect it to out-do the several other Minelab, both single or multi frequency detectors. And it only has 40 units resolution for non-ferrous targets, so all high sought after conductors like silver and copper will be crammed in together with screwcaps, bottle caps and pull tabs. You will probably be digging a lot more junk because of this compared to a lot of singe frequency detectors with a lot higher resolution. And the ability of the Equinox to get deep targets hasn't been addressed yet.

The AT MAX has a lot of the newer technology available, doesn't use old fashioned knobs, resulting with depth loss as you advance the selection to knock out more conductivity, has and is currently showing great depth, target separation and has excellent warranty in case something goes wrong. It will be serviced in Texas where they are built, and have been building metal detectors since 1964.

John - you make some valid points above yet most do not have anything to do with whether the OP should get the Max or wait until some of the the other detectors get released and tested:

Yes - the Equinox has not yet been released, but spec wise it has features that out gun the Max as I described above. The higher frequency operation capability should also further help with resolving small and mid-conductive targets better than the Max. Yes, it is not yet proven, but why shouldn't the OP wait and see if it lives up to its potential rather than having buyer's remorse because he rushed out and got the Max rather than waiting a few more weeks for Equinox user reviews and getting a detector when his region thaws out in the spring. Regarding depth, I had the opportunity to swing and see a pre-release Equinox in action in the red mineralized dirt of central VA at a recent organized relic hunt. That dirt just kills depth and target ID on ALL VLF detectors (including the AT Pro/Max) - yet the Equinox pulled some 6+" minie balls which is impressive for a VLF.

Yes - the Equinox will not be a 3030, Excalibur, or even an E-trac. Yet it will be an average of a thousand dollars cheaper than all those detectors and is not intended to compete with those detectors in performance (hence the price), but will actually outperform (yes, at least on paper), in terms of recovery time. But also what matters is that the Equinox will directly compete with one well known detector at its present price point - yup - the AT Max.

Yes - the Equinox does only have a 40 point target ID resolution for non-ferrous. Could be potentially a drawback for some, yet I know plenty of folks with Deus who kill it out there with 3 or 5-tone audio and they never look at a target ID. Heck, full tones on the Deus is only 32 tones, no one seems to have a problem with that resolution. If the target ID's are accurate (minelab is know for rock solid/accurate target ID's and they are not all that accurate on the deus) and the tones are solid, then a lot of resolution is not needed. But yeah, we'll have to see how minelab does with this with some real world feedback.

John - to be brutally honest - your unabashed commitment to everything Garrett and unwillingness to consider anything without a Garrett label as swingworthy is in one respect laudable, but for the most part detracts some from your credibility when it comes to giving other brands a fair shake.

Bottom line - am I saying the OP should NOT get the Max? No way. It may turn out to be the ideal detector for him (and obviously is a capable detector with flaws - and they ALL have flaws, believe me) but I encourage him to get as much information as possible about all the detectors that are competing in the Max's class and there is no denying that the Equinox (and even the Quest detectors) will be in the Max's class, so why not get as much info as you can?

From a performance standpoint, the First Texas Patriot series and Nokta Impact detectors should be considered, but they are not submersible.

Last edited:

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really and truly you have to try various detectors to decide what clicks for you.

I’ve used maybe 8 and I stick with the deus mostly.. again just cause I use it so much and I’m use to it..

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Weather here in N.Y. it`s going to be a high of 23 degrees,ground will be frozen soon.
If you try out any new machine and you r cold and shivering...and just happen to be in a spot that has no good targets/sounds...chipping away frozen dirt...... waterproof and water in the north east winter ?... not a fair way to test any new machine .
I do hunt most of the winter in the woods till snow gets to deep...but not with a machine that is new to me.
Take your time and see what happens through the winter with other new machines. and you wont burn up warranty as you and your new machine sit in the house.
Gary

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really and truly you have to try various detectors to decide what clicks for you.

I’ve used maybe 8 and I stick with the deus mostly.. again just cause I use it so much and I’m use to it..

The Weather here in N.Y. it`s going to be a high of 23 degrees,ground will be frozen soon.
If you try out any new machine and you r cold and shivering...and just happen to be in a spot that has no good targets/sounds...chipping away frozen dirt...... waterproof and water in the north east winter ?... not a fair way to test any new machine .
I do hunt most of the winter in the woods till snow gets to deep...but not with a machine that is new to me.
Take your time and see what happens through the winter with other new machines. and you wont burn up warranty as you and your new machine sit in the house.
Gary

To add to this great advice, once you make your decision and purchase your detector, I encourage you to just stick with it and learn it thoroughly. You should not even consider getting another model detector until you have at least one or two year's worth of experience on the one you choose (and none of these detectors we are discussing will be a bust, so don't worry about that) unless you get into a specific area of hunting that is incompatible with that detector. But since the AT Max and Equinox are "all terrain" about the only situation not compatible with them is if you decide to go diving with a detector, which is a very specialized application or if you REGULARLY go to a highly mineralized site with deep targets or do gold prospecting (though with the higher operating frequency, the Equinox can do this too) where the specialized pulse induction type detectors are more effective.

And yes, you may want to wait until spring to give it a go, since starting out in winter may sour you on your new machine or even the hobby before you even get started.

Also, don't underestimate weight and balance and even well fitting headphones. Comfort (or at least not generating misery) after several hours of swinging is just about as important as performance when it comes to enjoyment of the hobby. One of the reasons us older, frail folks (lol) are willing to spend our hard earned cash on the Deus which weighs about a pound and a half and perhaps has the highest performance-to-weight ratio in the hobby.

Finally, think about your main metal detecting objective: coin shooting in parks, freshwater beach hunting, saltwater beach hunting, relic hunting, jewelry recovery, meteroite hunting, gold prospecting, club hunts, treasure diving, all of the above? They are all different types of hunting that can require different types of detectors for optimal performance. No one detector does it all, but the general purpose detectors you are considering can handle most of the above. But if you are just going to occasionally coin shoot when your family goes to the beach, you could get away with a lot less expensive detector but could outgrow it if you get hooked on another type of detecting or start detecting more frequently. That is why I encourage newbies to find someone nearby who detects or a nearby detecting club and hopefully has a spare detector that they can use and learn about detecting first and then decide where they want to go detector-wise. But if you are confident in what you want to do, then go for that mid-level detector you can learn well and grow with.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Armor9

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some great advice here guy, thank you very much. Love the passion and lively debate!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread