Are You Addicted To Metal Detecting? How Bad????

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Do you have a daily craving to metal detect? Do you daydream of finding great treasure? Does metal detecting interfere with your day to day life? Does your spouse wish you would stop?
poke.gif

I can answer yes to some of these, and my wife is glad I have such a healthy hobby. So......the way I look at it:

1) I could have no hobbies, watch TV all day and pour on the LBS.

2) I could Take up drinking, or weed, or other drugs (real bad decision) :offtheair:

3) Accept that I am somewhat addicted, and except the health and $$$ benefits. (good compromise)

addiction.jpg

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its rooted so deep that I fear too long with out detecting and I would literally snap. It's the top thing that gets me excited. I've turned down dates to go metal detecting instead, and did it before I could even properly think about the decision. Most of my vacation days are dedicated to detecting. I'll drive my gas tank to empty with out a thought and have to fill up using change because pay day isn't quite here yet. I will travel with nearly no limits to detect at even the faintest hint of a good site. The only thing keeping me from quitting my job and endlessly wandering the earth with my detector is my daughter, and I fear what will happen when she turns 18 and leaves the house.....

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i'm so addicted to it i dream where i am going the next day

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
I am a detectoraholic. I know I shall be addicted for life. I think, dream, breath and sweat metal detecting. My wife and kids belong to detectoraholic - anonymous. I live one day at a time. I get panic attacks that my batteries might wear out before the hunt is finished.

I attend weekly meetings, (only on bad weather days) with a support group. This is my story!

a877463c8ff55d5dbd531826356d319c.jpg

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I grab my iPad and coffee then head for the throne with my sights set on checking out TNet first thing.
So I’m thoroughly addicted. Lol!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, let's see, I do have a daily craving to metal detect, and yes, I daydream of finding great treasure. Yes, metal detecting has interfered with my day to day life, my wife enjoys the gold I bring home, and then I smoke weed and have a bourbon, or four. I would say I'm addicted pretty bad.. :tongue3: :skullflag:

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
100 percent addicted! When I’m not able to hunt I’m watching videos and looking at detectors online all the time. Especially in the winter months when I can’t hit the beach. When I found my first gold ring in 2009 with my Ace 250 i was hooked. Very nice picture of you John. I’d have to say you look like Charlie Brown when you were young.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Totally hooked. Wife thinks I'm insane. Haven't touched booze for 15 months though so there must be something to it.

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Super addicted, I hear beeps in my sleep. My wife supports my hobby and is happy that i get out and enjoy it. I crave silver coins so much. It's that thrill you get when you see the edges of the brilliant silver coin in the hole, and just the knowledge that that high tone whisper is something deep and very good!

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Every time I see a guy weed-whackin' their front yard my first thought is always that they are metal detecting... I guess you could say metal detecting is usually at the forefront of my mind. :)

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coinscoinscoinssleepcoinscoinscoinseatcoinscoinscoins...Nope...not at all.

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think about detecting when laying down for bed. I'm always scanning the fields when I'm driving to see if there is any sign of an old home site. What a great addiction to have though.

Sent from my XT1585 using TreasureNet.com mobile app

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
48 going on 49 years in the woods/fields... 280-300 days out of a year, sold detectors for years..just so i could meet others and talk about them .
My cloths/coats and boots/hats are bought with Metal Detecting in mind.
Now i`m retired and older... hunts are shorter...i fear time is running out...but this keeps my healthy and more sane/happier than most .
It`s my Lifestyle !
Gary

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Now i`m retired and older... hunts are shorter...i fear time is running out...but this keeps my healthy and more sane/happier than most .
It`s my Lifestyle !
Gary

That's probably one of the best answers as to why we metal detect.

wav.gif

metaldetecta

Jun 10, 2013
Michigan Troll
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro and Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am so addicted that I scheduled my classes 3.5 hours apart so that I can detect in between classes at college. During the summer I work nights so that I can detect all day, and only work Friday-Sunday so that I can detect the schools and parks when they aren't busy during the week. I spend all my free time cleaning my old finds when I am not with friends and family. I also bring up metal detecting in most of my conversations.

Last edited:

artist minded

Dec 16, 2017
north carolina
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I apologize for hijacking this thread, please know that it isn't my intention. I just joined this site quite literally because it's all new to me and I can't stop thinking about things buried or left behind. I have very valid information on a few things hidden in the ground that I would love to find, but I don't know the first thing about metal detectors, so I'm looking for some kind helpful people to guide me on my way! If someone would like to point me in the direction of a thread to post in I would greatly appreciate it!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread