RI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Makro racer2
Garrett ATpro
FisherF2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So Iļø purchased a couple coils for my max. The 5x8 Garrett dd and the NEL thunder dd. The detector works great with the stock coil but falses terribly with either of the others.. Iļø get a lot of random 99 readings and any time the coil bumps anything like stubble in a corn field Iļø get a high tone?? Iļø always ground balance, usually high 80ā€™s low 90ā€™s and Iā€™ve tried resetting when changing coils but nothing seems to help. Has anyone else had issues with the max like this? Is there a solution?

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
When you changed each coil, did you hold down the power button for about 5 seconds or so until it restarts. When you change coils on the AT PRO, you have to do this. Should be in instructions.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
He clearly stated that he resets after changing coils. The only thing I can think of is a loose cable down close to the coil. If the cable wiggles when you swing, the coil may be picking up the movement of the cable.

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He clearly stated that he resets after changing coils. The only thing I can think of is a loose cable down close to the coil. If the cable wiggles when you swing, the coil may be picking up the movement of the cable.

I agree that it could be the coil cable, found on my AT Pro that if the cable was not wrapped tight to the shaft get falsing when swinging the coil. Hope that it as simple as maybe a loose coil wire, just purchase the AT-Max, have really gone back and forth on getting the Max. Thought about the Nokta Impact, but it's not water proof, so guess I will see how it does when I get it I also have Nel Storm coil and other coils that I hope are going to work on the Max that were designed for the AT. That's another reason for my decision to stay with the Max because of the extra coils I have.

OP
OP
Kingrich

Kingrich

Dec 5, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Makro racer2
Garrett ATpro
FisherF2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iā€™ve tried resetting many times and my coil wire is always snug. Iā€™m wondering if the frequency difference between the pro and the max has anything to do with it?? When Iļø use these coils on my AT pro they seem fine but on the max they are very sensitive.. even with sensitivity down half way.

OP
OP
Kingrich

Kingrich

Dec 5, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Makro racer2
Garrett ATpro
FisherF2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that it could be the coil cable, found on my AT Pro that if the cable was not wrapped tight to the shaft get falsing when swinging the coil. Hope that it as simple as maybe a loose coil wire, just purchase the AT-Max, have really gone back and forth on getting the Max. Thought about the Nokta Impact, but it's not water proof, so guess I will see how it does when I get it I also have Nel Storm coil and other coils that I hope are going to work on the Max that were designed for the AT. That's another reason for my decision to stay with the Max because of the extra coils I have.

Iļø really like the max, the sounds are just like the at gold, personally Iļø prefer the sounds of the at pro in pro zero but the max has many more options and it does seem like a deeper machine to me. Iā€™ve dug a silver dime at 9-10ā€ with a fairly clear tone.. not sure if the pro would even pick that up.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
My ATP gives high tones when bumping stalks with the stock coil. Had me fooled several times today. I just thought it was a natural thing when bumping things.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
You need to turn down the sensitivity a fair amount when switching to a large Nel coil. If after resetting the Max, turning down the sensitivity to 3-4 bars and the coil is still too unstable, it's an issue with Nel coils. I would email them and see what they suggest you might do? I have heard that the coils that fit the AT PRO / AT GOLD will not work on the new AT MAX. Good luck....let us know what Nel coils says, as there are a lot of people thinking about getting a Nel coil for the AT MAX.

Good luck!

John

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I reread your post and noticed that you purchased the Nel Thunder coil. The Thunder specs. list it as being for use on the AT Pro, Nel has a coil for the AT Gold the Hunter and the Tornado. I guess I'm thinking that there may be a problem with the Thunder not being tuned to the AT Max in other words the frequecy of the AT Gold is same as the Max or close anyway. But the big question in this thought is why is the 5 x 8 giving a problem, the 5 x 8 is tuned to the AT Gold. According to what I have read Garrett claims the coils for the Pro and Gold will work on the Max, very pulizzing.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You need to turn down the sensitivity a fair amount when switching to a large Nel coil. If after resetting the Max, turning down the sensitivity to 3-4 bars and the coil is still too unstable, it's an issue with Nel coils. I would email them and see what they suggest you might do? I have heard that the coils that fit the AT PRO / AT GOLD will not work on the new AT MAX. Good luck....let us know what Nel coils says, as there are a lot of people thinking about getting a Nel coil for the AT MAX.
John

Good luck!
They used to suggest when you switched to a big NEL lower the sensitivity to about half then ground balance and then increase your sensitivity to what you normally use

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other

oops I missed that!

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kurt from hoover boys uses several nel coils son his max and they also false when hitting corn stalks. I think those nels are very sensitive and its just how they operate.

Whiplash016

Feb 4, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My AT Pro always falsed when bumping the coil. The tornado is a nightmare if you donā€™t wrap the cable tight over the lower rod, any wiggle and itā€™s a chatterbox. Also, switching to F4 freq helped. Anyway, Iā€™m commenting on this because I have a brand new Max and Thunder coil and canā€™t even use it. Iā€™ve read other posts from members that said the Thunder works great on the Max, but for me, it doesnā€™t work at all. A few random grunts and blips. Other than than, itā€™s quiet and unresponsive.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions