Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Does disc increase depth on the AT MAX and help find deep silver ?????

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Apr 2016
    Xp Deus ,aka sorex pro, I have owned ctx 30/30,racer2,nokta fors core,at pro,tesoro cortes.
    3373 times
    Metal Detecting

Does disc increase depth on the AT MAX and help find deep silver ?????

If you use the max and hunt for silver you might want to take a look at this video! to disc or not to disc is the million dollar question....the coin was not found with the max but it was a very deep coin around 9 inchs and fits what I talk about in the video very wellClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1266.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	1523167Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1267.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	2.63 MB 
ID:	1523169
    1781 Half reale, Spanish cob, 1802 1 Real
    1740 King George,Vermont state copper 178?
    1853 Trime
    1851 Large cent,1840 large cent
    6lb canon ball
    3 x N.C sunburst, Confederate block I coat,block I cuff
    S.C button
    Regiment Artillerists button 1811-1813
    Union Naval shell fuse
    Eagle I button,Eagle over canon button 1812
    Colonial cuff links intact
    1860 Indian Head fatty, 1859 fatty indian head
    1743 King George
    1861 Indian Head fatty
    1869 V nickel
    1902 Barber quarter, 1939 Walking half Dollar
    XP deus CTX 30/30
    May God bless you.

Charter Member
    us
    Chronic Patriot/Metal Detecting,it`s My Lifestyle !

Jul 2010
    "Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territory of The Six Nations 1779 Montour Falls N.Y.
    XP Deus, T2 LTD Land or Sea Pointer Garrett Pointer Treasure Wise Diggers T10",T12" & T14" Lesche 28" Ground shark
    3978 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Nope not enough bandwidth to watch today wish i could !
    Gary
    calabash digger likes this.
    I`v been detecting for 48 years owned my own detector shop G.A.P. Metal Detectors here in N.Y.
    See my old adds in Western & Eastern Treasures and Lost Treasure Magazines through the 90s
    I hunt the Sullivan Trail here in N.Y.
    "Success is just Rented, Never Owned and the Rent is due Daily"
    "Its the Golden Rule who ever has the Gold Rules"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqdSl2jFjlE

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II, Quattro & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    7588 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Very nice video! Thank you for sharing.

us
    Apr 2016
    Xp Deus ,aka sorex pro, I have owned ctx 30/30,racer2,nokta fors core,at pro,tesoro cortes.
    3373 times
    Metal Detecting
    I don't if the go pro captured it good but it helped the signal on the deep silver.. maybe enough to make a person dig a target that they might have passed on.
    1853 Trime
    6lb canon ball
    S.C button
    Union Naval shell fuse
    1743 King George
    1861 Indian Head fatty
    1869 V nickel
    XP deus CTX 30/30
    May God bless you.

Mar 2005
    Canada
    Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
    1927 times
    Adding disc. only removes the audio and does not add add or take away depth, unlike some detectors with rotary knobs, where as you increase the disc, you do in fact lose depth.

But, some of the harmonics and other signals which often help to define the target as good or bad will also be lost.

The rule of thumb is too use the least amount of disc. as possible.
    Wife + 4 kids (no grandkids yet)Orthopedics RN, photagraphy,writer, build electronic gizmos, previous hot air balloon pilot, coin collector for 40 years.

"METAL DETECTING IS A HOBBY AND HOBBIES ARE MEANT TO BE ENJOYED"

us
    Apr 2016
    3373 times
    Metal Detecting
    It does because it discs out the ground minerals that start to overtake the DEEP target and those minerals are why you hear the iron grunt on the edge of the signals, found the same to be true with my primary detector too.. I know it doesn't increase depth per se but it does disc out the ground minerals that are trying to overtake the target at depth which lets the signal clean up... Andy Sabich says that disc increases depth on the deus and ive found it to be true on that machine too.....I was always on Johns line of thinking too , ran my at pro with zero disc but you in see the video which one hits the extreme deep silver better.. NO DISC ? LOW DISC? OR HIGH DISC? I have always heard the less disc the better too but sometimes in testing on targets ,you find things that go against the grain... I will test the max at full disc and see if it effects depth..
    sprailroad likes this.
    1853 Trime
    6lb canon ball
    S.C button
    Union Naval shell fuse
    1743 King George
    1861 Indian Head fatty
    1869 V nickel
    XP deus CTX 30/30
    May God bless you.

gb
    Jan 2015
    42 times
    I'd agree here, in a way adding disc at the lower end is like ground filtering as your removing all the unwanted audio, adding disc at the other end can easily lose you deep targets.

Quote Originally Posted by calabash digger View Post
    It does because it discs out the ground minerals that start to overtake the DEEP target and those minerals are why you hear the iron grunt on the edge of the signals, found the same to be true with my primary detector too.. I know it doesn't increase depth per se but it does disc out the ground minerals that are trying to overtake the target at depth which lets the signal clean up... Andy Sabich says that disc increases depth on the deus and ive found it to be true on that machine too.....I was always on Johns line of thinking too , ran my at pro with zero disc but you in see the video which one hits the extreme deep silver better.. NO DISC ? LOW DISC? OR HIGH DISC? I have always heard the less disc the better too but sometimes in testing on targets ,you find things that go against the grain... I will test the max at full disc and see if it effects depth..

us
    Apr 2016
    3373 times
    Metal Detecting
    Ive always heard that too BUT on the MAX I could find no depth loss on it with disc wide open on coins... I have tried it on my primary detector tooo and couldn't find a depth loss with a high disc. I did find it on that detector when it was almost wide open. I shot a video too will post it...
    1853 Trime
    6lb canon ball
    S.C button
    Union Naval shell fuse
    1743 King George
    1861 Indian Head fatty
    1869 V nickel
    XP deus CTX 30/30
    May God bless you.

us
    Metal Detectorist and Adventurer

Jun 2015
    Southern Mississippi!
    Garrett AT Pro Nel Storm Coil, XP Deus 11" Coil, White's TRX Pinpointer, XP MI-6 Pinpointer, Lesche shovels
    276 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by calabash digger View Post
    Ive always heard that too BUT on the MAX I could find no depth loss on it with disc wide open on coins... I have tried it on my primary detector tooo and couldn't find a depth loss with a high disc. I did find it on that detector when it was almost wide open. I shot a video too will post it...

Hey Calabash,
    I love your Youtube videos.
    Could you please add some nickels to your test garden.
    I would like to see some tested at 7+ inches with the Deus (which I own but only the 11" coil).
    Could be modern, buffalo, "V", War Nickel, and/or shield nickels.
    They give bizarre readings on my Deus setup when they are deep.
    Thanks

us
    Jun 2015
    ES of Maryland
    XP Deus
    4571 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    I dig more iron when I use disc
    Favorite finds
    Colonial silver pomander-1600s trefoil spectacle buckle-Late 1600s two piece assymetrical buckle(avatar)-Charles II half real cob-Philip V 1 real cob-Philip V cut Pistareen-colonial silver cufflink-1781 half real-Seated Half Dollar-2 Seated Quarters-21 Seated Dimes-6 Seated Half Dimes-3 Trimes-1865 love token-10k class ring

it
    Dec 2017
    Garrett At Max, Garrett Euro ace
    9 times
    Hi Calabsh,

Iíve seen all your videos and i honestly think theyíre not as good as they could be.
    I really appreciate when people publish videos about ďlearning the new machinesĒ and I like to share my experiences as well, but it really seems you just got the Max, you donít even know its sounds, the best settings, and in general how to use it, but you are trying to compare it to other detecotrs or somehow to teach to other people how to use it and if itís good or not. Iím using my Max since 3 months and I feel like iím starting to understand it better and discoever its potential only now.
    From you videos it seems that you judge it withouth even knowing it.
    An example that itís pretty ridicoule for me (and for everyone who know how it really works): in one of your videos you say that it cannot recognize a silver coin if itís more that 9 inches deep (while your Deus obviously goes to 13...).. well thatís totally not true as i digged smaller silver coins at 12 with no problema using the right settings.
    I like to watch videos, but please, before wearing the teacher jacket, learn the machine, because from your videos people could actually think that the At Max is a mediocre machine, when actually to unveil its potential, you simply need to know it more than you do.
    Ah, Iím sure that if you enable comments in your youtube page, a lot of people will tell you the exact same stuff that I just wrote (and probably in a better english ).
    Not a destructive critic, just something i wanted to say.
    Last edited by tommypunk; Dec 10, 2017 at 03:21 PM.
    3cylbill and calabash digger like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    Near Ground Zero for Insanity
    XP Deus with 9 and 11" and 9" HF Coils, XP Wireless Pinpointer, Minelab GPX and Excal II, Garret ATX, Tek T2 Delta, and Omega. Fisher F75 LTD/DST, Whites MXT and MX Sport
    1790 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tommypunk View Post
    Hi Calabsh,

Iíve seen all your videos and i honestly think theyíre not as good as they could be.
    I really appreciate when people publish videos about ďlearning the new machinesĒ and I like to share my experiences as well, but it really seems you just got the Max, you donít even know its sounds, the best settings, and in general how to use it, but you are trying to compare it to other detecotrs or somehow to teach to other people how to use it and if itís good or not. Iím using my Max since 3 months and I feel like iím starting to understand it better and discoever its potential only now.
    From you videos it seems that you judge it withouth even knowing it.
    An example that itís pretty ridicoule for me (and for everyone who know how it really works): in one of your videos you say that it cannot recognize a silver coin if itís more that 9 inches deep (while your Deus obviously goes to 13...).. well thatís totally not true as i digged smaller silver coins at 12 with no problema using the right settings.
    I like to watch videos, but please, before wearing the teacher jacket, learn the machine, because from your videos people could actually think that the At Max is a mediocre machine, when actually to unveil its potential, you simply need to know it more than you do.
    Ah, Iím sure that if you enable comments in your youtube page, a lot of people will tell you the exact same stuff that I just wrote (and probably in a better english ).
    Not a destructive critic, just something i wanted to say.
    I suppose Calabash will respond himself but just wanted to let you to know that Calabash started detecting with an AT Pro so he is not starting out from ground zero with no familiarity of how the Garett AT series works. That tends to lower the learning curve somewhat vs. someone that has no familiarity with Garrett detectors overall or the AT series in particular. Besides that, he has tested a number of different detectors and knows his way around the different brands. Point taken though that no one can really pick up any detector, regardless of their experience or background and claim to be an expert on its quirks and nuances on day 1 of swinging the detector.
    "Aww c'mon guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. It's all ball bearings and double secret Version 4 variants nowadays."

it
    Dec 2017
    9 times
    As i said before, mine is not a destructive critic to him, but to how he started to share videos as “tutorials” when he actually didn’t know anything about the machine.
    For my experience and from all the other guys who actually owned an At Pro, or an At Gold those detectors are reaaaly different from the At Max and a lot of people even say that passing from the Pro to the Max takes even more time, making the learning curve bigger as there’s an expectations bias based on the fact that starting from the sound, to how they react, the machines look the same but they’re totally different.
    Another example: high disc doesn’t “clean the signal”, it just cut off the sound from the iron crackling that can come out every single time that a good target is deeper that 8 inches. So if you know the Max’s sounds you know that when a target is deep even when it’s good it can sound like iron on the edge and send a good small sound in the middle.. proportional audio helps in this, but it takes time to learn: when deeper than 5 inches just one good vdi number with a good sound alternated to jumpy numbers and iron sound, could be a silver coin, dig it. Setting iron disc to 44 can make you loose good targets. So, instead of setting the metal detector to to high disc levels to please my ears, i would suggest to learn and accept crackling sounds on deep targets..
    Well, as i said i’m not a master in this and i’m not trying to teach anything, this is just my experience and i like to share it as it could be useful for others.. i’m just not creating a tutorial on it. (And i wouldn’t have done it especially the first week with the Max, when i still needed to figure out a lot of things).
    Last edited by tommypunk; Dec 11, 2017 at 09:05 AM.

us
    sprailroad

Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Minelabs/Garretts
    1177 times
    OK, I watched the video, and it does cause me to say Hmmmm.....why not try that, how hard could that be, I didn't see Calabash coming across as saying THIS is what you should do, simply offered a tip on something he tried just for the heck of it and found a difference that I think surprised even him. I have an AT Pro I sometimes use, and I to set it at Pro Zero mode with say 25 on the iron disc, next time I'll try it at 35 and listen, I also run it with iron audio "off", Calabash also pointed out that it could depend on Ground mineralization depending on where you are, say East Coast vs. West, North & South, and say the US vs, Europe. Tommypunk, you did seem a little harsh in your comments saying he does not know anything about the machine, you do not know that, after all, you said yourself you have only 3 months on the Max, and in the detecting world, that's not a lot of time on any type of detector. Calabash I again believe was just sharing a tip with others that they might want to try out, and that is in part one of the great things about this Forum.
    vferrari and calabash digger like this.

it
    Dec 2017
    9 times
    Well, it’s not 3 months in the detecting world, those are the months spent with the Max.
    Believe me I love to watch videos and learn from other people, every week i search for new At Max videos to learn something new and when i learn, i do like to share my opinion and experiences.
    I’ve never criticized any of the videos i’ve seen, but this time, these videos (especially the first ones) gave me the impression of someone comparing detectors using one of them at half of its potential and showing results withouth knowing the best settings.
    Again I loved to watch other users videos and it never came into my mind to move any critic, there’s a reason i did this time and probably togheter with all that i said before, maybe the “teaching” attitude that i felt made me sound” harshy” in the comments..didn’t mean to, nothin personal Calabash.
    Last edited by tommypunk; Dec 11, 2017 at 07:58 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links