Ace250 eliptical coil......

R

robert roy

I am not having an easy time pinpointing with the Ace standard coil. I can't help but wonder if Garrett other coils say for the GTA GTI md's might not work. I believe the round coil is eaiser to pinpoint with. My little 4.5 sniper is always right on. The 6x9 is usually off all over the place even useing the black bars straight across.
Any ideas?
RR

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alas, the other Garrett coils will not work on the Ace.

The pinpoint, (or lack thereof) has always been the biggest bug with the Ace 250. What so many fail to mention is that the Ace is a basic model. In all the rush to sing its praises, they left that part out of the hype and hoopla.

The other Garrett models, those farther up the line, do not suffer as the Ace does in the PP arena. All you can do is work with it and try to develop a method that works for you.
Remember these things about elliptical coils:

On shallow targets, they will pinpoint off the coil tips.
On deeper targets they center the target in PP.

This is true for the Ace.

It also helps to detune before attmpting to pinpoint. I call it the Ace "PinPoint Punch" - move the coil off to one side and punch the PP a time or two. Over time, I quit using the whole PP feature. I just went with the old circling "X" method Ive always used.

I got the Ace, to see what the deal with it was... But I kepy my 1350. Its everything the Ace wants to be and more. I think it just might be the best mid-level detector out there.

PS I have bunch of Ace tips if you want them. Send me an email and ask for them.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Robert,
How do you pinpoint now? I don't see what the big PP problem is on the 250. I can PP dead center or on the front of the inner coil. You have to remember to detune EVERY target. If you using the center of the coil for reference you have to remember the coil is elliptical. This means your tone will be longer front to back and short from side to side. In your mind imagine the center of both and the target will be in the center of the coil. Or DETUNE and find the center from side to side then while still holding the pp button pull the coil towards you and when the tone goes silent then the target is just under the front center part of the inner coil. Detune my friend. Also while pping you MUST scrub the ground. Do not lift the coil up off of the ground to pp.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
robert roy said:
I am not having an easy time pinpointing with the Ace standard coil. I can't help but wonder if Garrett other coils say for the GTA GTI md's might not work. I believe the round coil is eaiser to pinpoint with. My little 4.5 sniper is always right on. The 6x9 is usually off all over the place even useing the black bars straight across.
Any ideas?
RR

I have tried all these methods, and still with 4x6 it is tough for me....The sniper coil makes it alot easier, but I still dig bigger holes with the Ace than I ever had in the past....It is just a cheap little detector...I am so looking forward to retiring it for the spare.....

KevGA

Jul 12, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett ACE 250
I haven't had much of a problem pinpointing with my 250. As mentioned, I also find the sweet spot to be the tip of the inner coil. I hunted the local city park for about 45 mins the other day and dug .43 in clad, all in the first scoop at each target based on the pinpoint. Be sure to swing off your target before hitting the pinpoint button.

Good luck!

Kevin

Skybox7

Tenderfoot
Jul 22, 2003
Green Bay, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I agree with the sweet spot being the center of the front edge of the inner coil for shallow targets, (1-2"). But anything deeper and I am at a loss. The emitted signal, being slightly conical, has got to move the target back towards the center of the coil as the depth of the find increases. But how much further?
I'm getting very tired of digging trenches and still coming up empty. >:(

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skybox7 said:
I agree with the sweet spot being the center of the front edge of the inner coil for shallow targets, (1-2"). But anything deeper and I am at a loss. The emitted signal, being slightly conical, has got to move the target back towards the center of the coil as the depth of the find increases. But how much further?
I'm getting very tired of digging trenches and still coming up empty. >:(

I still have hell with mine....I find stuff, but it is by luck, cuz I dig some massive holes.....My old White 5900 was easy to pin point with..Oh well its still fun.

OP
OP
R

robert roy

gallileo60
Hi:

I'm selling the damn thing.
Its great if you have the 4.5 coil and just want to dig coins from the
local park and the highway rest stops, but beyond that I think
its an over hyped waste of time.

I've practiced the "detuneing" and have had SOME success with that but
I still spend alot of time looking for the damn target! My feeling is
that one should not HAVE to spend more money just to buy an
expensive handheld pinpointer. If the machine is any good at all you should be
able to use the existing MD pin point and not fiddle around jumping through hoops trying to dig the target.

Would I recommend the Ace 250 to anyone? Yes and no. I have reservations.
When Garrett comes out with a medium size concentric coil for thjose of us who LIKE concentric coils, then I would give a full blown yes recommendation.

Robert R

doozis

Jul 31, 2007
Virginia
No single detector is best for everyone , some will love it some will
hate it , but one thing is certain , if you don't like your machine and
don't have confidence in it then you'll never be happy with it. It's best
to try something else. I personally love my Ace and have had very positive results with it , but thats me , the next guy might get very poor results with the same machine. In my opinion NO metal detector
at any price will completely live up to its hype , just read the forums
on Tnet and you'll see the love/hate for nearly every machine out there. Its sad that there are not more metal detector dealers so we could go try out a machine before we buy it , but many of us must order them and hope for the best.
Keep lookin and you'll find the right one and the fun will begin :)

Doozis

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
robert roy said:
Any ideas?
RR

I've found the method khouse mentions is the best, don't try and PP by locating the strongest tone...center the target right to left and pull the coil back toward you till the tone goes silent your target will be at the tip of the inner coil...I'm amazed people have a problem pin-pointing with this machine...I have lots of other "problems" with this machine...but PPing is not one of them...

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Copperhead - tell me more.............

Tell me about your issues with the 250. Maybe I can help?
Kenny

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
khouse said:
Tell me about your issues with the 250. Maybe I can help?
Kenny

A lot of issues I have were expressed in this post,

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,107701.0.html

I am going to try some of the advice given there this weekend, as I stated in it, I think I got more info out of it than all the others combined, but I appreciate the offer, and may take you up on it in the future, thanks
BTW…your waterproofing modification thread for the Ace was amazing..nice job…

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
khouse said:
I don't see what the big PP problem is on the 250.

Same here........I am honestly starting to believe that alot of people get thrown off by certain tips that should really not be given or taught regarding the 250, including the ones on the Garrett video that came with the 250 and the PP technique they show there. Shoot me if you ever see me PP that way with a 250.

OP
OP
R

robert roy

Hi Ricardo:

Yea, I took my Ace out again this past week and have been practicing some of the advice. Sure, the advice is right on and I have beed finding my targets, at least most of them. That said remember, the techniques seem to work only for the shallow targets.

Fisher is coming out with a new metal detector called the F2 and is supposed to be a real Ace Killer. We'll see what happens. It will not have all the features of the F4 but will be priced right around what the Ace 250 costs. We'll see!

DAMN!! I was all set to buy the F4 come income tax return time!!!!!

DISPITE the fact that the Ace 250 has the pin point problems, I have still "cleaned up"
in a couple of parks. In the past four weeks I have gotten about $40.00 in clad out of one park right behind the local high school: Another $10.00 from a smaller park some distance to me.

What I find interesting is that someone else has been there recently. There are tell tale signs: big holes some partially covered. This is a real issue for me because one of these days the park officials are going to come down on whoever is MDing there and making such a mess. I went back over some of these holes and in a few cases actually found the target they missed. I say missied because I find it hard to believe they would have dug such a big hole in the first place unless they were looking for something they just couldn't find. In each case I recovered a dime. Unbelivabe!!! A huge hole just for a dime!!!!! WHO ARE these people?

But back to the Ace 250. Its not a bad machine. When I travel the Ace gets put in the trunk of the car along with my MXT. It, the ACE really is a coin killer dispite its annoying behaviour at times.

Robert Roy

Oct 19, 2007
born in 3 sisters, tx. now living west of tilden
Detector(s) used
X-Terra70, X-Terra 50, Ace250, Ace150, GTI 1500,GTA 1000 Ultra, Tejon, Vaquero
Hi i have not had many problems once i got the Ace 250 finally figured out.
But 1st i raise the coil to 10~12" above the object and see if i get a tone
to eliminate digging up coke or beer cans.

If a item shows up at 4" or less i use the Ilregular method But remember to double click the pinpointing button to detune the coil to make it smaller and slide the coil back towards your body very slowly until you hear NO SOUND at all your object will be under the center of the inner coil.

If a item shows up at 6" or more i use the X method and look 1" in front of the "U" shape in the coil

Attachments

• Ace 250Coil.JPG
    Ace 250Coil.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 237

~MetalDigger~

Oct 20, 2007
North Carolina
I'm a newbi at metal detecting, but I'm learning, and Haveing fun also, The only detector I have is an Ace 250, with the standard coil. From what I have seen so far, it has found me 160 coins and it has pipointed the all for me with no more than a couple minutes finding the hard to locate coins. I have owned mine for about 2 weeks, and love it. The more you listen and learn each tone, and pratice with it, the more you will find.

And believe me you will find all kinds of junk, but alot of goodies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread