AT Gold for coin detecting????

Astro Nut

Dec 7, 2013
Burson, Ca.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking real serious at this detector and wanting to know if it will detect coins also with the coil it comes with? Would a different coil other than the standard coil be better for coin shooting?
I like the 18Khz frequency but if you change coils does it affect the frequency at all or does it stay the same. I do want it primarily for gold detecting but would like a detector that can detect coins also.. Your feedback greatly appreciated Thanks

Bill

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my opinion it's one of the best detectors available. Yes it will detect coins very well. It loves old copper and hits silver hard. I've had a few detectors and it has been my favorite by far. I just got the AT Max because I missed the AT Gold so much. I would have bought another one but the Max has all of the stuff the gold has with a lower freq. I haven't gotten to test the Max out yet to see if it's as good as the Gold. If you like to relic hunt as well then it's the perfect detector for you. This is just my opinion someone else may chime in but here is a vote for the Gold. By the way if the Max doesn't impress me I will be buying another AT Gold. I've regretted ever getting rid of it

Sent from my XT1585 using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Last edited:

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 5 X 8 coil that comes with the gold is one of the best coils for the Garrett series detectors. I have the 5 X 8 on my At Pro great coin coil. You may want to look into the 4.5" dia. snaper coil if you are hunting parks that have metal bleachers. You can get up real close to metal post and fences with the 4.5".

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgot to tell you the freq does not change no matter which coil you use. The coil that comes on it is the one I would keep on it. I did buy the Nel tornado for it and was a little heavy but man that thing was deep. It also found a seated dime in a trashy iron infested field where a home one stood and I normally would hunt a place like that with the small coil. You can't go wrong with the AT Gold. Good luck

Sent from my XT1585 using TreasureNet.com mobile app

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Of course, the AT Gold will finds coins. It specifically has a coin mode for that reason. It will actually find deeper coins using the true all metal mode.

at's  gold coin.jpg

at's comparison (2).jpg

There are some great Garrett dealers here on Treasurenet..... Independent Dealer Classifieds

Last edited:

gadabout

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2017
Western Washington USA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 11" LF 9"HF elliptical

Garrett AT gold
5.5 x 8.5 DD
4.5 concentric Super Sniper
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used the AT gold for some time now.
Points to consider between the AT gold and the and the max
The gold is not suitable for saltwater wet conditions.
The gold does not have adjustable notch filters.
The golden shipped with the smaller 5 by 8 elliptical coil
The gold is somewhat cheaper than the max at the current time used units are showing up on the marketplace.
The max tests deeper in some conditions especially in full tones mode
The max seems to detect fine gold as well as the AT gold..
Check out calibash diggers videos he does a great job with the comparisons....:icon_thumright::icon_thumright:

If you're technically inclined check out the multi frequency XP Deus before making your final decision.
The XP Deus should be shipping now with your choice of high-frequency coil (9" or 9 " elliptical)

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unless you are hunting gold nuggets, get the AT Pro. :skullflag:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions