IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what you need to do. Pick the ATPro up gently and put it back in the box. Get a ProSwing harness. Attach eTrac to it. Continue hunting.:laughing7:
Sorry bout that...

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
The most common setting for the AT Pro is to hunt in zero discriminate, with the iron audio set to about 30. Listen and learn the tones. The iron audio can be turned on or off while hunting, depending on your comfort level in areas loaded with iron junk.

Here's a link to some instructional videos on using the AT Pro. Good luck! Garrett AT PRO Video Library

If you like finding rings, the AT Series have done extremely well for me.

BIGGER RINGS.jpg

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Blkcloud, I have both detectors and your not really gaining much in lighter unit weight. Performance is performance, their two completely opposite machines and their uses suggest such. The ATPro will work well in the Pro Coin mode to get you started. One thing to remember: you never had to ground balance the ETrac, the ATPro you will. (Ground balance regularly) Depths are similar as is performance both will hit deep, AT Pro is a faster machine and will work best with a faster swing speed. The ATPro to me is the easier relic machine. Best of luck! Stay Gold!
Opie

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never swung an etrac so can't compare to AT pro, but I will say this, having swung an AT pro for about a year, it is not what I would recommend to someone who has a back problem. Great performing detector, but the weight and balance did put stress on my arm and back. I went to a really lightweight machine, but I would not pay over $1000 for a detector just because of the light weight and am not suggesting you do that, just a point of discussion (i.e., I moved away from the AT Pro primarily because of the weight and balance). There are other detectors out there in the same price range as the AT pro that weigh similar, perform similar, but are better balanced to take stress of the back and arm than the AT pro, I am not going to name them in a Garrett thread. If you already have the AT pro and it feels better than the etrac, go for it. If you have not purchased it yet, I highly recommend getting a demo unit and swinging it for a couple of sessions to see if your back indeed feels better than swinging the etrac, but I would be surprised. A swing harness, as suggested, is a good idea if you are really uncomfortable and I would recommend it even for the AT pro. I think even the AT max is a little lighter and better balanced than the AT pro and addresses some of the shortcomings, so that might be a better investment at this point.

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it is still in the box new sell it .Sell your e-trac and get the new minelab coming out . Light weight is the future . Plus USB internet down loads .Ebay takes a big bite out of your sell so I recommend becoming a member here to sell .

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Garret AT Pro the 5x8 Coil is very light not as deep but works great. I use it for swimming holes and shallow river swimming/wading so I can maneuver the coil easier between the rocks.

If you are used to a Minelab I would give the Equinox a try. I do believe it’s a superior machine.

HOWEVER if you can afford selling both your current machines you can buy an.
XP DEUS . Nothing is lighter and easier to swing then a Deus. I should say a detector that is very light and works.

Good luck

E35B22C8-BF2F-4009-9FDB-64B2BCA6E4EC.jpeg

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Waterscoop is correct, the only way to spell worlds lightest detector is DEUS.

After several hours, that poorly balanced ATP will make your arm hurt. I've swung the Deus for 3.5 years, it IS the only way to fly.

JMHO.

Good luck to you sir!

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The AT is a good detector compared to others in the price range but the e-trac runs circles around it. I have both and your back pain with go to a pain in the AXX with the AT in comparison to your finds.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look at a detector buddy it transfers the weight from your arm to the shoulder. I love and use them all the time. Yes and run out and get an equinox THE GREATEST DETECTOR EVER MADE EXCEPT NO ON HAS ACTUALLY USED ONE

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look at a detector buddy it transfers the weight from your arm to the shoulder. I love and use them all the time. Yes and run out and get an equinox THE GREATEST DETECTOR EVER MADE EXCEPT NO ON HAS ACTUALLY USED ONE

Lol!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unlike vferrari, I did buy a detector due to it's lightweight. The XP Deus, and the fact when my buddy dealer demo'd it for me he pulled a 14k gold wedding ring out of the lawn right in front of me. I thought there was nothing in that lawn. The 1.9 pounds is awesome. I had an AT Pro machine, it is a good machine, but a lot heavier than the Deus. This cat has a lot of arthritis, so weight is a big thing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions