Garrett ace 250

rickbrk

Jan 2, 2013
Floresville TX.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had an ace 250 for a few years now I don't use it very much cause to be honest it has been one of the worst detectors I have ever used. Maybe it's me but not sure. Does this thing not like the optional DD coil. I used it a few times and the discrimination is horrible, it's jumpy, it gives false signals. I have tried to like it. To me it is just unusable. Recently got a Tesoro silver umax which is the same price and they are like night and day. Should I try the ace again with the standard coil? I'll give it one more shot, if no better she is going up for sale.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've noticed when I swung the ace 350 it got unstable at times with the big DD coil. I dropped sensitivity and it cleared it up. I've never owned or even used a Tesoro detector but it may be a future purchase for a tool in my detecting bag. I like simpler detectors and that's why I love my Garrett's. I liked the Deus but after two years my finds went down as I believe I was constantly tweaking the settings and was probably defeating myself and the detector. I purchased a AT Max because it's the closest detector to my all time favorite AT Gold. Anyway I'll keep going on and on lol but try dropping sense and their is a possibility that the coil is bad because I had a bad coil with my AT Pro. When Garrett replaced it with a new one the machine worked as it should. Good luck.

Andy Nunez

Nov 19, 2015
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 or Garrett Ace 400 with a Cors Cannon coil and Z-lynk, Predator Piranha shovel, White's TRX pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had that happen at times with the 350 and 400. The machine suddenly flips out and starts going crazy, so I drop the sensitivity down until it stops and then turn it back up slowly. Somebody once suggested to me that it may be getting some short burst electrical interference like a sudden surge through a nearby power line or somebody's CB radio or cell phone. I get it on the stock coil and on my aftermarket coil, so it's the machines, not the coils. Like Kodiak, I am thinking of getting rid of my 350 and getting a small Tesoro like a Mojave for working trashy areas with lots of iron or power lines. A friend of mine has a couple and he swears by them. I love my 400, though and keeping it because I can't afford to get a Pro or Max right now.

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had the same problem with the disc as you, it takes time to learn to read the signals. I'm planning on selling mine and getting a Tesoro Compadre (it's the base model yeah, but it's a workhorse from all the reviews and videos I've watched).

OP
OP
R

rickbrk

Jan 2, 2013
Floresville TX.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Tesoro compadre and a silver umax and they are great. Just wish they had more than one tone. I got the compadre just for a trashy area I hunt and it works fantastic. Just not much depth. I may look into the Tesoro Tejon.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sell it if you can find someone to buy that thing. My buddy had one, waste of money

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Got an Ace 250 cheap and tried it for a while. Didn't have the falsing issues you describe but really didn't like anything about it. As said above, turning sensitivity down or making sure wire isn't flapping by the coil would probably stop the falsing. A co-worker swings an Ace 250 but recently upgraded to a close-out Teknetics that cost less and doesn't seem to miss the Ace. All that said, it is the most popular and recommended starter detector of all time and you should have no problems selling it. Different strokes...

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you do a factory reset when you put on the new coil? Sometimes metal detectors act up when you attach a new coil without performing a reset. I would also check to make sure the coil wire is wrapped tight, and that the connection to the control box is good and secure. DD coils behave differently than concentric coils, which is what comes from the factory on the Garrett ACE 250.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where are you trying to detect? If you are near power lines above ground or under ground the DD coil will most likely be too sensitive and give crazy false beeps. You may need to go back to the original coil in these areas. However the DD coil on the 250 in neutral soil away from interference is my secret sauce. I've had some pretty good luck with this combo, check out my post on Annual Finds. (For me its not about the equipment, it's about research and maximizing the efficiency of my hunts.)

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Ace250 was my first detector and I found a ton of clad with it. I also found about 30 wheaties and 6 silvers near powerlines with the concentric coil. The only thing I didnt like about it was i felt like I had to slouch a bit because the short overall length of the detector. I wanted to upgrade to a DD coil but for comfort and performance boost I upgraded to ATPRO instead. No regrets. I ended up selling my ace250 for $100 which i used to purchase the NEL Sharpshooter for the AT Pro.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread